The Impossible Dream

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tomp734444

The Impossible Dream

Post by tomp734444 »

When I think back to ten years ago, I could not have imagined that I would ever ride a bike again; let alone undertake a ride from one end of Britain to the other. I weighed seventeen stone, smoked forty fags a day, drank like a fish, and ate chips with every meal unless I was having a curry, and got absolutely no exercise whatsoever.

Today, I am loading my car and setting-off to Scotland to, for me, make history. I know that the road will be long and painful. There will be times when I want to quit. But I hope that I will be successful and also raise some cash for The Firefighters' Charity.

A big thank you to the CTC Forum; without the enthusiasm, knowledge, experience and good common-sense which I have taken from you all, I doubt that my preparation would have been as comprehensive. You have given me the tools to finish what I started back in November.

Wish me luck!

Warm regards

Tom Patterson
It is better to travel than to arrive.
yakdiver

Re: The Impossible Dream

Post by yakdiver »

good luck and all the best, I wish I was going with you
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good luck Tom.
You will enjoy every pedal stroke. Maybe you will have tough day or two, but when you've done it, you will look back and smile. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cmlstratton

Post by cmlstratton »

Have the most wonderful time making your own history Tom. We'll be tracking you (hope you have set to 10min intervals for your battery 's sake).

Good Luck, wishing you NO punctures, a fair wind (behind you) and a safe passage.

Charlie
delport

Post by delport »

Just keep your mind focussed and stay determined, you wil be fine.
3 years ago i was on 60 roll ups a day without filters, but i've never been overweight in my life.
Gave up smoking before the real damage happened.
Couldn't imagine smoking into my 50s and 60s and getting away with no health problems, it's probably one of the most difficult things i've done in my life.Again i used focus and determination and managed it, just like i did with JOG-LE.
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

Good luck - soon you'll be planning your next challenge!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Good luck and may the winds be favourable to you.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

GOOD LUCK TOM!!!! :D :D
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/VickyandPhil
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Best wishes x
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hondated

Post by hondated »

Yes Good Luck Tom and just enjoy it .You will soon be there thinking about your next challenge.
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

Thanks for the good wishes guys. I've completed 5 days and covered just short of 400 miles. Spirits and winds are still high but soldiering-on. Dodgy connections to wi-fi are keeping my reports short. Will give full report at the end.

Suffice to say, I'm having the time of my life.

To all you lurkers who are just thinking about it, start planning!

Best wishes.

Tom
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi tom
all the best hope all is going well as mick f says when you finish you be :D :D :D

larry
delport

Post by delport »

tomp734444 wrote:Thanks for the good wishes guys. I've completed 5 days and covered just short of 400 miles. Spirits and winds are still high but soldiering-on. Dodgy connections to wi-fi are keeping my reports short. Will give full report at the end.

That's impressive,averaging 80 miles a day, and with winds.

I was doing around 40 miles a day, and with very little wind, heading down from JOG in the 1st week.That was last september.
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

I'M NOW @ PENRITH. ABOUT TO START DAY 7. AT LEAST TODAY IS DRY. YESTERDAY IT RAINED ALL-DAY. STILL TRUCKING & LOVING EVERY MINUTE. NO WI-FI.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Please be aware - that if you are cycling down the A49, in a couple of days time, between Warrington and Whitchurch. the A49 is closed about 7 miles before Whitchurch and there is a diversion. I had hoped to get through regardless (as I have in the past) and cycled through to the road block (4 miles past the diversion), where they have an additional sign saying 'No Cyclists' as well. You can still take minor roads from the road block to get to Whitchurch, but choose the roads to the right: I chose the minor roads to the left and had to cycle a little bit further with a significant hill!!

Good Luck!! I think what you are about to achieve in the circumstances is a fantastic story!