Just Go For It - its easier than you think

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
EllieMay968

Re: Just Go For It - its easier than you think

Post by EllieMay968 »

spen666 wrote:Ellie, let me know when your book is out - will be good to read it

Thanks! Re: Mud, Sweat and Gears (cycling from Land's End to John o'Groats via the pub) - due out early March 2012, published by Summersdale. I've now put a link from both my blogs to it. I'll have another look at your blog tomorrow as well.

By the way, I was not in any way recommending Lejog on minimal training - I wish I had done more, which would have resulted in less blubbing/pushing bike/swearing/arguments etc. But I do think it's a shame if people don't do it because of fearfulness.

Ellie
http://elliestravelstories.blogspot.com/
http://lejogging.blogspot.com/
spen666

Post by spen666 »

EllieMay968 wrote:
spen666 wrote:Ellie, let me know when your book is out - will be good to read it

Thanks! Re: Mud, Sweat and Gears (cycling from Land's End to John o'Groats via the pub) - due out early March 2012, published by Summersdale. I've now put a link from both my blogs to it. I'll have another look at your blog tomorrow as well.

By the way, I was not in any way recommending Lejog on minimal training - I wish I had done more, which would have resulted in less blubbing/pushing bike/swearing/arguments etc. But I do think it's a shame if people don't do it because of fearfulness.

Ellie
http://lejogging.blogspot.com/

Just to pick up on the training point.

For a variety of reasons, I have not done any decent distaqnce bike rides now for several months.

Today we went out and rode 42 miles, and I was amazed at how good I felt at the end. Why? Because we took it very steady. Remember tht if you ride at an average speed of 10mph, you can do 100 miles in June or July in daylight hours, even allowing for plenty of stops. At 10mph you can go on for hours without feeling shattered.

I would echo Ellie's remarks though that doing training makes the whole experience easier.

It is doable for anyone who can ride a bike. Don't let fear put you off. If a fat codger like me can do it, then so can you.
kyussmondo

Post by kyussmondo »

My training consisted of rides between 50-100 miles once a week. I live within walking distance of work so I never really commuted. I think with some moderate training that most people can complete LEJOG in 2 weeks.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

spen666 wrote: Remember tht if you ride at an average speed of 10mph, you can do 100 miles in June or July in daylight hours, even allowing for plenty of stops. At 10mph you can go on for hours without feeling shattered.

...unless you have lots of hills and/or headwinds :D .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

10mph is what I always reckon on.

10mph overall average will allow you to stop and rest and eat and get blown about in the wind and struggle up hills.

80miles will take 8hours.
Leave at 8am and get to your destination at 4pm. Easy.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Yes, but you are fitter than I am! Last summer I found that with hills and headwinds I could only keep up an average of 9mph - and I didn't try it for more than 60 miles as my knees were starting to hurt. I'm working on it, though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LollyKat wrote:I'm working on it, though.
Great!
I'm "working on it" too. Jan and Feb are terrible for returning good times on rides.

I did a ride on Friday, one that I've not done for a while. I record my rides with my Garmin and upload the data into Ascent, and I have accurate records since Jan 2008 when I first got a Garmin.
Ascent:
http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

With Ascent, you can compare any two rides and "play" the rides together - a sort of movie of the positions on the map and hill profile.

I compared my Friday ride to one in October last year. Poor me, I was left well behind!
I have some work to do. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

spen666 wrote:Just to pick up on the training point.

For a variety of reasons, I have not done any decent distaqnce bike rides now for several months.

Today we went out and rode 42 miles, and I was amazed at how good I felt at the end. Why? Because we took it very steady. Remember tht if you ride at an average speed of 10mph, you can do 100 miles in June or July in daylight hours, even allowing for plenty of stops. At 10mph you can go on for hours without feeling shattered.

I would echo Ellie's remarks though that doing training makes the whole experience easier.

It is doable for anyone who can ride a bike. Don't let fear put you off. If a fat codger like me can do it, then so can you.

While I agree that LEJOG is certainly doable for anybody who can ride a bike, I think you are making some sweeping assumptions. Like others here, my overall average for long rides always seems to work out at about 10mph. However, on our 14 day LEJOG ride, although our moving average was generally around 10mph, our overall average for each day, including stops, was much lower. Some days it was just 6 or 7 mph. Sometimes this was because we took an extra long lunch or as the result of a mechanical. But it was also in a large part because my brother found the going very hard and was in a lot of pain, which meant he tired very easily - particularly on hills. So we ended stopping far more than I would have liked. Even at those low speeds, by the third day he was shattered, so on many of the days we also had a late start and as a result there were occasions where we didn't reach our destination til after 7pm. Our daily distances were generally between 65 and 75 miles.

As I said upthread, my brother did quite a bit of training for the ride, but it clearly wasn't enough for him to do the ride even remotely close to comfortably. So just because one person can do a long ride with ease after not having done one for a while, doesn't mean that everybody else will be able to.

I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone off doing the ride and I agree there’s no need to fear it. And it may be true that many riders could breeze it with the minimum of training. However, I think its fair to say that most people who undertake the ride would benefit from a significant amount of preparation – in order to complete the ride with the minimum of discomfort if nothing else. I would hate to suggest that people 'just do it' and they ended up having an awful time due to lack of preparation.
spen666

Post by spen666 »

spark303 wrote:
spen666 wrote:Just to pick up on the training point.

As I said upthread, my brother did quite a bit of training for the ride, but it clearly wasn't enough for him to do the ride even remotely close to comfortably. So just because one person can do a long ride with ease after not having done one for a while, doesn't mean that everybody else will be able to. ...

i'm not aware I have said this
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

spen666 wrote:
spark303 wrote:As I said upthread, my brother did quite a bit of training for the ride, but it clearly wasn't enough for him to do the ride even remotely close to comfortably. So just because one person can do a long ride with ease after not having done one for a while, doesn't mean that everybody else will be able to. ...

i'm not aware I have said this

I’m not aware that I said you did :D I just wanted to emphasise the point that some people will need a lot more training than others in order to complete LEJOG comfortably.

Please don’t think I’m having a dig - reading your blog was one of the main things that spurred me on to do the ride. :)

As I’ve said previously, I found LEJOG far easier than I expected. Had I done the ride on my own, I would completely agree with everything you’ve said. However, I would hate to think that anyone else would have a similar experience to my brother because they hadn’t prepared adequately. Although he had a great sense of achievement when he finished the ride (more so than me probably), he enjoyed very little of the ride. That’s a great shame IMO. :(
EllieMay968

Post by EllieMay968 »

spark303 wrote:As I’ve said previously, I found LEJOG far easier than I expected. Had I done the ride on my own, I would completely agree with everything you’ve said. However, I would hate to think that anyone else would have a similar experience to my brother because they hadn’t prepared adequately. Although he had a great sense of achievement when he finished the ride (more so than me probably), he enjoyed very little of the ride. That’s a great shame IMO. :(

I agree, it is a great shame if such a great trip is spoiled due to inadequate training.

Based on my limited experience, I think the two key things are:
1. allow adequate time to do it according to ability - and try to build in enough time for a rest day or two just in case.
and
2. go with a cyclist with whom you are evenly matched pace-wise. I'm not suggesting you weren't, but I know from my own experience that if I travel with a faster cyclist than myself (pretty much everyone), I am very soon utterly exhausted.

I am very slow and so was my companion; we took 23 days to complete the E2E. We had a rest day in Shopshire and a 6 mile day in Scotland - but we got there in the end. We had allowed a month because we knew we were not very good/hadn't trained properly/intended to drink a lot of beer.

I know it's not always possible to be away that long though.

Ellie
Si

Post by Si »

I found much of it quite hard going despite all of my training. However, this was very much enjoyable hard going rather than suffering like a dog hard going - if you know what I mean.

I put this down to not insufficient training but a combination of head winds for most of it, and because I had only recently returned to cycling when I did it and was still in the frame of mind that every ride had to be done at top speed. I think that this can be one of the major issues for some: having the ability to ride slower than normal without becoming frustrated. If I had knocked only 1mph off my average speed I'm sure that I'd have found the ride much easier.
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

I think one of the best bits of advice i got from this site in 2007/08 when I was planning my LEJOG was this:

On your cycle computer, that little number that tells you your average cycling speed - put a bit of black tape over it.

It works for me :D
EllieMay968

Post by EllieMay968 »

The Jazz wrote:I think one of the best bits of advice i got from this site in 2007/08 when I was planning my LEJOG was this:

On your cycle computer, that little number that tells you your average cycling speed - put a bit of black tape over it.

It works for me :D

Good idea!

I don't take a computer. Or a GPS. Or a smartphone. I did take a notebook computer for blogging when I did E2E Lejog but I'm not taking that on my forthcoming Irish E2E , just map and compass. My friend takes a computer, but he keeps forgetting to turn it off when we stop so our average speed works out at about 2 miles per hour. (Come to think of it maybe that's accurate :D )

If people want to challenge themselves with a 8/9/10 day E2E that's great - but it's not the only way of completing it. There's nothing wrong with cycling more slowly if you want to. http://www.slowbicyclemovement.org/

The most important thing is to enjoy it.

Ellie
http://elliestravelstories.blogspot.co.uk/
JohnCKirk

Post by JohnCKirk »

EllieMay968 wrote:

Thanks! Re: Mud, Sweat and Gears (cycling from Land's End to John o'Groats via the pub) - due out early March 2012, published by Summersdale. I've now put a link from both my blogs to it.

I see that the paper copy is available from Amazon; is there an ebook (epub) version available as well? I couldn't find it on Kobo.