My JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mawsley

My JOGLE

Post by Mawsley »

Hello.

I feel a fraud. Here's all of you, all fit with lungs and muscles and appropriate equipment - and here's me with a Defy 2, little training and a mass of fat. I don't even possess one of those tight cycling tops...but I do have a couple of good sized water bottles. One has a skull&crossbones which I think is quite cool.

I started to train for this last year, dropped my weight down to 13something only to be in an accident and the weight climbed back up as I did no riding.

One week ago I started it all over again.

Here I am, seven days more experienced and 10lbs lighter. I'm training on a Kettler Ergorace and enjoying an adequate but strictly controlled diet.

My plan is to wild camp through Scotland, my wife & kids are going to be driving and pitching tents, before joining up with other family and friends through England and finding camp sites as I go. So costs are going to be pretty minimal - around £250 on diesel and some quids thrown at campsites. I've got a couple of spare inner tubes and some tools in the garage. Plus, by the time I get to Carlisle, I can have my Lemond Alpe D'Huez back off my Dad which means I'll have a whole spare bike on the back of a car.

My focus is on getting it done and quickly so I want to build up my ability to do big days in the saddle. As much as part of me thinks this is a joke I remember Eddie Izzard and his continuous marathons. I can do this. I've got the compulsoryblog sorted too.

In the process I'm getting sponsorship for Children In Need as I'm a primary teacher and it seemed a good fit.

I'm not convinced I need a GPS, I do think I need to charge my iPhone as I go and do I need one of those tight cycling jerseys? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Dave
To the end of the road - My JOGLE '12 blog
Self financed and raising money for Children In Need with Just Giving
@2TheEndOTheRoad
cmlstratton

Re: My JOGLE

Post by cmlstratton »

Good Luck Dave!

I'd strongly recommend a Garmin as mobile signal is not always available or use NavFree app which I don't believe needs signal. Although if you had a couple of battery packs you could charge in the car overnight you could probably get away with an iPhone.

14 days is a good target schedule and I hope you have better weather than I had = finished wishing I had done a LEJOG and not a into the headwind JOGLE!!

Cheers

Charlie
PS I reckon your food budget will be close to your diesel one.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mawsley wrote:... do I need one of those tight cycling jerseys?

No! Years ago my OH and I did long distance touring in tailored shorts or knee breeches, and polycotton shirts - these were quite comfortable, dried quickly when wet and were easily washed. We had bar bags so didn't really miss back pockets. When it rained we wore capes. I still commute in ordinary clothes.

Last year however I did try lycra for the first time, and found it very comfortable and practical. I like having rear pockets now that I don't use a bar bag, and the slight honeycomb weave wicks the sweat better. The big eye-opener though was how comfortable I felt in rain, with only a Montane super lightweight showerproof jacket on top. Although some rain gets through, the lycra seems to wick or evaporate it away before it gets to my skin, so that I stay dry, without having to battle with a cape in the wind.

If you can do without pockets, why not compromise and get a casual sports shirt from somewhere like Mountain Warehouse? They do slightly looser shirts for mountain bikers and runners that use high-tech fabrics but look a bit more 'normal'. The extra wind-resistance will be insignificant. You can also get baggy shorts with removable padded inners.

Have you seen this film of a CTC day ride in 1955? Many of them are wearing shirts and ties.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Hi Dave,

I wouldn’t worry about any of it.

All you need is a bike (any bike) and the will to do it. Anything else is a bonus.

You don’t need GPS. You just need the ability to follow road signs. That’s all we did. We had a map, we’d pick out the next few towns and the number of the (quieter) roads we wanted to follow. It took 800 miles before we took a wrong turn. GPS might be nice, but you won’t lack anything in the experience if you don’t take one. When I do it again, I may or may not buy one. Ain’t decided.

Charging your iPhone might be a challenge. Though I do have a battery powered charger for my iPod. I’ve never tried it with my iPhone. Whatever, it’s an expensive way of charging!

As for cycling tops? Tight if you want. I prefer footie shirts and tend to cycle in BCFC replica shirts. Because I have them going back years and it saves buying other tops.

I would also say your water bottles sound unsuitable. Spend a lot of money on some new ones.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

LollyKat wrote:
Mawsley wrote:... do I need one of those tight cycling jerseys?

No! Years ago my OH and I did long distance touring in tailored shorts or knee breeches, and polycotton shirts - these were quite comfortable, dried quickly when wet and were easily washed. We had bar bags so didn't really miss back pockets. When it rained we wore capes. I still commute in ordinary clothes.

Sorry - it's hard to convey feeling on a board. I'm not a cycling top kind of person. I'll be wearing my collection of old punk T-shirts. :D
@2TheEndOTheRoad
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

2Tubs wrote:Hi Dave,

I wouldn’t worry about any of it.

All you need is a bike (any bike) and the will to do it. Anything else is a bonus.

You don’t need GPS. You just need the ability to follow road signs. That’s all we did. We had a map, we’d pick out the next few towns and the number of the (quieter) roads we wanted to follow. It took 800 miles before we took a wrong turn. GPS might be nice, but you won’t lack anything in the experience if you don’t take one. When I do it again, I may or may not buy one. Ain’t decided.

Charging your iPhone might be a challenge. Though I do have a battery powered charger for my iPod. I’ve never tried it with my iPhone. Whatever, it’s an expensive way of charging!

As for cycling tops? Tight if you want. I prefer footie shirts and tend to cycle in BCFC replica shirts. Because I have them going back years and it saves buying other tops.

I would also say your water bottles sound unsuitable. Spend a lot of money on some new ones.

Gazza

Nice, thanks Gary. :lol:

Have to say I'm very disappointed about the water bottles. So disappointed I may have to rethink a cycling journey where they'd be acceptable because for me they're a bit of a deal-breaker. Damn.
@2TheEndOTheRoad
jonniloo

Post by jonniloo »

As regards bottles get a Zigg flask very lightweight you can use for dehydration drinks to save any discoloration of plastic bottles,also get a yellow helmet cover for wet weather or leave on on cool days and a bright jersey better safe than sorry.