Chamois Creme ???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thatsnotmyname

Re: Chamois Creme ???

Postby thatsnotmyname » 7 Apr 2020, 12:14am

I would question the usefulness of spreading modern chamois cream on a modern pad insert - it will just soak in and serve no useful purpose other than making you feel as though you've sh@t yourself. Contemporary chamois cream isn't really intended to be applied to the shorts as such - as mentioned above, it is mainly a skin applicant. Modern foam pad inserts are nothing like the old 'real' chamois used on shorts 30-40 (or more) years ago which needed regular moisturising to keep them supple.

JohnWL

Postby JohnWL » 7 Apr 2020, 10:27pm

+1 on applying to skin not shorts. I have gradually reduced the amount I use, and I do not use it for rides of less than 50 miles or 4 hours or so.

I think use of it is one part of the answer to no chafe ; the others being saddle you are comfortable on ( I swear by Brooks ), gel shorts which suit/fit you (I use relatively cheap Decathlon ones which are excellent) and a good wash every night.

After a learning curve on a couple of tours I now can do a 2 week tour of say 70 miles a day happily with no problems. I also use the Asos stuff which is fine. You don't need too much otherwise the just sh@t yourself squidgy feeling takes a few miles to disappear!

mig

Postby mig » 8 Apr 2020, 10:51am

horse udder cream applied to self. thicker, cheaper and better than any tub of chamois cream marketed at cyclists.

mjr

Postby mjr » 8 Apr 2020, 12:28pm

Slathering one's bottom in thick cream seems like a great way to form a barrier against sweat leaving the skin/clothing and fermenting all sorts of problems.

In my experience, if you find a saddle that fits, plus wash yourself and wash and change the clothing of the bit you sit on as soon as reasonably possible after any sweaty rides and maybe then applying some absorbing antiseptic/antibacterial product if there's any skin irritation, you shouldn't have many problems - but this is not the current fashion, similar to how riding in plain clothes with thin padding on a saddle-shaped saddle is currently done much less than riding in thickly-padded clothes on a plank-shaped saddle.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 8 Apr 2020, 12:37pm

mjr wrote:Slathering one's bottom in thick cream seems like a great way to form a barrier against sweat leaving the skin/clothing and fermenting all sorts of problems.

In my experience, if you find a saddle that fits, plus wash yourself and wash and change the clothing of the bit you sit on as soon as reasonably possible after any sweaty rides and maybe then applying some absorbing antiseptic/antibacterial product if there's any skin irritation, you shouldn't have many problems - but this is not the current fashion, similar to how riding in plain clothes with thin padding on a saddle-shaped saddle is currently done much less than riding in thickly-padded clothes on a plank-shaped saddle.

In my case (and the ride that prompted the question and the sore patch after the ride), using that same bike, settings and saddle I've used for years and done some decent tours on.

BUT (reflecting on "what has changed, what's different"), when I resumed cycling years ago I wore underwear under padded shorts but for last few years I haven't and for no reason, last few rides I have been wearing different underwear (i.e. both wearing underwear and different underwear from that which was OK years ago).

So I'm now suspecting it might all be my fault and a general purpose antiseptic cream and returning to what worked for years before might be the answer. I have absolutely no idea why I restarted wearing underwear but it's fairly smooth but doe shave seams). Si I'll wait for things to heal and try with just the shorts next time.

Many thank
Ian

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Apr 2020, 5:36pm

Conotrane cream,similar to Sudocem but half the price,been using it for years :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 10 Apr 2020, 9:44am

I used runners rub as a family member gave me a tin of it.
Vaseline texture and worked well in my lejog.

Still sore after 8 days and 1000 miles though.
Knee was worse though!

Cheers James

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 10 Apr 2020, 9:50am

reohn2 wrote:Conotrane cream,similar to Sudocem but half the price,been using it for years :)

From medicines.co.uk re conotrone cream:

Special warnings and precautions for use
Cetostearyl alcohol may cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis).

Conotrane contains paraffin. Instruct patients not to smoke or go near naked flames - risk of severe burns. Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard. Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it.

So don't stand near your stove, don't smoke and probably avoid baked beans.
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Apr 2020, 9:54am

John
No explosions as yet and I do like me beans :)
I cycle therefore I am.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 10 Apr 2020, 7:02pm

I just slap some baby lotion on the pad.

ossie

Postby ossie » 10 Apr 2020, 7:28pm

reohn2 wrote:Conotrane cream,similar to Sudocem but half the price,been using it for years :)

Sudocrem is only really any good for the overnight recovery phase I find. I wouldn't use it as a lube to prevent chafing or are you suggesting Conotrane cream is an all in one prevention and cure at the same time or just prevention.

On long tours of up to a month in the saddle I use a bit of vaseline if needed during the ride and sudocrem after a shower but open to all suggestions.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 10 Apr 2020, 11:22pm

ossie wrote:

Sudocrem is only really any good for the overnight recovery phase I find. I wouldn't use it as a lube to prevent chafing or are you suggesting Conotrane cream is an all in one prevention and cure at the same time or just prevention.

On long tours of up to a month in the saddle I use a bit of vaseline if needed during the ride and sudocrem after a shower but open to all suggestions.

I use Conotrane for both lubrication and as an antiseptic for existing saddle sores,it's very similar to Sudocream but about half the cost.

Vaseline due to it being thicker is a good lube but isn't antiseptic,I carry a small tin of it all the time for sticky cables as a temporary grease substitute.It's also good as a spot treatment on sensitive skin areas should I need it,and can be used for rubbing on knees as a protection against cold should you be caught out without leg warmers :) .
I cycle therefore I am.

ossie

Postby ossie » 11 Apr 2020, 12:02am

reohn2 wrote:
ossie wrote:

I use Conotrane for both lubrication and as an antiseptic for existing saddle sores,it's very similar to Sudocream but about half the cost.

Vaseline due to it being thicker is a good lube but isn't antiseptic,I carry a small tin of it all the time for sticky cables as a temporary grease substitute.It's also good as a spot treatment on sensitive skin areas should I need it,and can be used for rubbing on knees as a protection against cold should you be caught out without leg warmers :) .

Thankyou..i'll give it a go ..

boink

Postby boink » 11 Jun 2020, 8:43pm

I alternated a bit between inside out cotton boxers (avoiding the seams) and carg o shorts one day and shorts with a pad the next. Cream on pad 1 day, cream on skin the next day. My mate never needed cream. Cotton boxers and cargo shorts. He is a Welshman though. Tough lot. Another friend did a 14 day lejog....1 pair of lycra shorts with pad and cream. Didn't wash them once, just kept reapplying cream. We're all different.

denniswpearce

Postby denniswpearce » 19 Jun 2020, 12:00pm

Interesting reading all the posts on this thread.
I have tried the creams mentioned, countless different saddles including Brooks, had two different bike fits, numerous different bib shorts, I know which ones chafe me.
Have seen the Dr.
Have done Lejog four years ago and had to give up at Fort William because of kidney stones.
But every day was painful after thirty miles but I endured till the kidney stones.
My issue is it’s painful on my sit bones.
Don’t think my issue will ever be resolved but hopefully creams, different saddles and the other things work for you guys.
Regards
Dennis