Getting to JOG and back from LE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
lukeeggy

Getting to JOG and back from LE

Postby lukeeggy » 14 Aug 2012, 11:07pm

Hi

Does anyone have any recommended ways of getting yourself and bikes to JOG and back from LE (based in north wales).

Luke

wirral_cyclist

Re: Getting to JOG and back from LE

Postby wirral_cyclist » 15 Aug 2012, 12:54am

lukeeggy wrote:Hi

Does anyone have any recommended ways of getting yourself and bikes to JOG and back from LE (based in north wales).

Luke

My guess!
I'd be finding a lift so I could go from Crewe - Inverness (joining the Euston Sleeper) and then onward to Wick - least changes but pricey.
Using Chester or Llandudno would add more changes. Coming back is a bit easier with only one change (Brum) if coming back to Crewe.

I did a 1/3 LEJoG (TM) and hired a car to get from Wirral to LE and then rode home I had no worry about getting a bike aboard a train at any of the needed stations - Liverpool, Stafford or Bristol, all very well having a reservation but if no spaces because train is mid journey and hangers already in use...
Also it was half the price even just for two of us - which is madness in itself.

Or do a double and ride to one end, then the other, and then back home :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Aug 2012, 8:39am

wirral_cyclist wrote:Or do a double and ride to one end, then the other, and then back home :lol:
I did the double, precisely because of the transport problems.

Not easy, but do-able. I did the ride in twice the time of the single, that was a mistake - I was knackered. I should have planned a day off or two. I may do the double again in the next year or two, but take 4weeks rather than 3weeks.

1,800miles in 4weeks is 65miles per day average. Easy at that rate, and no transport problems!
Mick F. Cornwall

vernon

Postby vernon » 15 Aug 2012, 9:04pm

lukeeggy wrote:Hi

Luke

Trains served me well. Penzance is better served than Wick or Thurso. The problem will be getting a bicycle reservation to Wick/Thurso.

mcslaski

Postby mcslaski » 18 Aug 2012, 11:56am

1 way van hire. We "dropped off" at Penzance, and the "picked up" at Inverness, which was the closest Europcar point to JOG that I could find. That meant arranging a "bike taxi" from JOG to Inverness; a great service that was well worth the expense when you're exhausted!

tuftyrowlands

Postby tuftyrowlands » 22 Aug 2012, 10:17am

We did LEJOG last July/August. Our website details how we got to Lands End and back from John O Groats.

www.landsendtojohnogroats.weebly.com

Here's part of a post I made last year when we had finished:

Once at John O Groats we got back by staying in John O Groats YHA overnight, then cycled back to Thurso (18 miles) the next day to The Bike Shop. Here they helped us pack our bikes into boxes for £15 each and we posted them back home at the post office for £37. The Bike Shop were very helpful indeed and a mine of information about how to pack the bikes. If you are going to do it this way you need to order the bike boxes in advance. A lot of the stuff we had in the panniers also went in with the bikes including helmets so we had the minimum to carry around with us.

Then got the train to Inverness (£17), stayed in Inverness YHA which is easy walking distance from the station and an Indian restaurant! Next day got the bus to Inverness airport (£3.40 and goes past the hostel!) and flew back to Bristol on EasyJet. We booked the flights last September so they were only £22.

There are some pictures on the website of us packing the bikes in Thurso.

Good luck!