LEJOG Attempt 2012 - dnf

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Tin_Hat

Re: LEJOG Attempt 2012 - dnf

Post by Tin_Hat »

Hi Ben

Sorry to hear that you developed knee trouble and had to finish your tour early. For what it's worth I have a long-term knee injury and have also had achilles tendonitis on the same leg. I was recommended by my Physio to have my bike properly set up for me and to use the lowest gear possible on hills. I had a visit to the Physio after training with a fully loaded bike and using nothing lower than my 52" chainring for hills as preparation for the Pennine Cycleway....

I had a bike set-up which changed just about everything; seat position and height, handlebar height and stem length and the position of my SPD cleats. Afterwards the bike (and I) felt so much more comfortable and that combined with using my Mountain Bike (also set up for me) for touring so that I have a 22" low gear (rather than 34" on my road bike, has (hopefully) banished my knee pain and stopped any new injuries. I have still had the odd twinge on long hilly days (60 to 80 miles for me) on a loaded bike, on the Pennine Cycleway / C2C for example but nothing that a post-ride stretch hasn't sorted.

I'd thoroughly recommend a professional bike set-up, it will be money well spent. I'd also recommend doing all your training with your touring weight on the bike and having a few 3 day tours before the next LeJog. It will allow you to fine-tune the gear that you carry and hopefully spot any problems before the big trip!

Best of luck
hondated

Post by hondated »

benmckillop42 wrote:Hi all,
I have been 'looking in/reviewing' this site for quite a while now but had never signed up until the other day, I feel i need to share my story of my attempted Lejog a few weeks back that never went to plan.

I have been questioning 'why' and hopefully I can get some of your thoughts on 'my conclusion'... it may arm others with info that I never had prior to my preparation/training etc.

So here goes,
I'm 34, 5.10, slim/medium build, Not a cyclist at the time but keen footballer/keep fit person..

I decided around march 2012 that I would attempt my dream of completing Lejog solo/unsupported on August 3rd over 10days staying in b&b's/hotels etc.
In April/may I purchased a new specialized tricross bike and was cycling to/from work, doing rides most evenings/mornings and weekends..
I was concentrating on 'getting the miles in' and conditioning my rear end and obviously getting fit at the same time.
The routes I cycled were mainly flatish(Aberdeen) and were approx 20/30 40 miles per evening session and did the odd 80 miler back to back a few weeks prior to set off. I spent the last few weeks doing hill sessions.
I covered around 1400training miles(95% bike unloaded, 5% with loaded panniers)
I paid attention and was strict(ish) with my nutrition and recovery sessions (cold baths)
I did stretching etc but never made a big thing of it..
I felt good on the bike with not one ache or pain may I add...

So the day I set off from Lands End I thought my preparation at the time was as best as I could of done with the knowledge I had and the time I had given myself to train...

It went horribly wrong after the first day...

My right knee developed an occasional 'lock' and on/off pain that was excruciating, it only seemed to appear on a hill when requiring the downward force. I managed to cycle/hobble 6 days and got as far as Manchester where I stopped off and met Richard @ Precision Pedals in the velodrome. He kindly took me in and had a look at my set up, minor tweak to cleats and seat height and was then sent to a physio to have my right leg 'stripped/massaged'... brutal!
The physio diagnosed me with overuse of 'vastus medialis' however said the knee was ok to continue if I could handle the pain. I continued after a days rest....
I eventually made it to Kendal on the 7th day and decided I couldn't go any more or I would cause serious damage to my knee. the pain had started just after 2 miles....

Stopping was a very difficult decision to make... I wanted to at least cross the border, I had so much support back home with people willing me on and donating money to my charity page etc but my right knee was having none of it...

So, where did it go wrong/lessons learned....my un-professional conclusion!

1) Unlucky? No, lack of cycling/touring experience and naive to the task.
2) Should i of trained/conditioned myself with the actual weight I was going to carry (bike+panniers = approx 25kg) Yes i should of, i think this is the main factor in my knee going!
3) I have stats from my garmin 800 which shows the terrain/time taken for each day. looking back it looks like I went too fast so was probably running on adrenalin the first day or so and caught up in the moment, i should of tackled going 'up hills' at a more leisurely pace and not bombed up them like i did in training.
4) Route, I took the A30 out of Devon/Cornwall to plymouth. Wasn't particularly nice to cycle on and I wanted off those roads as quickly as possible, should look at an alternative quieter route if doing it again.
5) Have support? No, I wanted to challenge myself and would recommend to anyone thinking about it to just go for it!
6) Time/mileage for the first few days. Take them easy, break them down a bit to save the legs. From Bristol to Lancaster it was dead flat apart from a few hills and you could make those miles up and be easier on you.
7) Equipment/Weight. I tried to carry as little luxuries as possible, had 1 spare set of cycling clothes, a set of clothes for evening, ipad, usual chargers etc, protein recovery bars/powders and limited bike spares. I wouldn't want to go with less just in case.
8 ) Do other form of weights/gym work? Yes, look into strengthening/stretching all main leg muscle groups (Glutes/hamstrings/quads/calves)
9) Bike fit? Yes, i would get a professional to look at your set up and make sure everything is ok

Where I am now,
I am currently doing a stretching/exercise programme to strengthen the muscles around the knee, once back to fitness i will be back on the bike and will look to complete the rest of the challenge from where I stopped.(if i have time I may go back to the Lands End)

Sorry for the long story but thought I had to share it to see what others opinions were and obviously help others thinking about doing the End to End....

Thanks Ben

P.s, if your thinking about it.... Go For it!!!!!!!!

Ben just spotted your report and sorry to read you never reached your goal.
I think everyone else has said it but I will say it again anyway, well done.

Two years ago we as a family went on holiday to Devon and Cornwall in the car and boy did we go up and down some hills.Needless to say that I did comment at the time that I could not imagine cycling the same route so to have made it to Manchester was some achievement in deed.

I understand how you felt because a few years ago I went to Alpe Dhuez and cycled up it and then several days later I decided to cycle from there over to Croix De Fer. Anyway long story cut short a third of the way there physically slaughtered I had to give up and rode back to the camp site.

The next year could not come quick enough when i went back and achieved my goal and I do not doubt that you will do the same. When you do let us all know.
southamptonadi

Post by southamptonadi »

benmckillop42 wrote:Hi all,

1) Unlucky? No, lack of cycling/touring experience and naive to the task.
2) Should i of trained/conditioned myself with the actual weight I was going to carry (bike+panniers = approx 25kg) Yes i should of, i think this is the main factor in my knee going!
3) I have stats from my garmin 800 which shows the terrain/time taken for each day. looking back it looks like I went too fast so was probably running on adrenalin the first day or so and caught up in the moment, i should of tackled going 'up hills' at a more leisurely pace and not bombed up them like i did in training.
4) Route, I took the A30 out of Devon/Cornwall to plymouth. Wasn't particularly nice to cycle on and I wanted off those roads as quickly as possible, should look at an alternative quieter route if doing it again.
5) Have support? No, I wanted to challenge myself and would recommend to anyone thinking about it to just go for it!
6) Time/mileage for the first few days. Take them easy, break them down a bit to save the legs. From Bristol to Lancaster it was dead flat apart from a few hills and you could make those miles up and be easier on you.
7) Equipment/Weight. I tried to carry as little luxuries as possible, had 1 spare set of cycling clothes, a set of clothes for evening, ipad, usual chargers etc, protein recovery bars/powders and limited bike spares. I wouldn't want to go with less just in case.
8 ) Do other form of weights/gym work? Yes, look into strengthening/stretching all main leg muscle groups (Glutes/hamstrings/quads/calves)
9) Bike fit? Yes, i would get a professional to look at your set up and make sure everything is ok

Thanks Ben

P.s, if your thinking about it.... Go For it!!!!!!!!

To be fair during our jogle, we were camping and unsupported and when we hit cornwall I had planned to stay of the A30 but after half a days cycling on mental back roads the A30 was a dream to cycle on with really long fast downhills and long grinds up where as the back roads were relentless hills in which we strugled a lot.

adi
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Chris Ince wrote:Hi Ben,

It's Chris again and just looking at your reply to comments and your mention of unclipping. How long have you be using clipless pedals for and moreover, what cleats/ clipless pedals were you using? They vary a great deal in the degree of 'float'. With little float there is little scope for some lateral movement of your knees; over a long distance this could be very problematic. Secondly, I am wondering about your saddle/pedal height difference. There are formulae out there but too little or too much can make a huge difference to knee/ankle/achilles comfort.

I totally agree. Saddle height is pretty crucial. With pedal fully down and you sitting square on the saddle, foot parallel to ground and knee straight, BARE HEEL should be about 5mm off pedal.
Had I been with you, I'd have had your pedal taken off and had you equipped with plain pedals. I'd be pretty sure that your cleat angle was unsuitable for that foot. The other thing is you don't say whether you were pushing big gears. If you were, bad idea.
Lastly, do you stand up some when you climb? That strengthens the vastus medialis and this keeps the kneecap it its groove.