LE2JOG on a condor squadra

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mcgroa

LE2JOG on a condor squadra

Post by mcgroa »

Great sources of information here on my latest project to do the LE2JOG unsupported.

It has just dawned on me that my carbon stays, lack of rack mounts and campag sirocco wheels might not appreciate being loaded up for such a jaunt.

I have no issue with the bikes setup comfort and gearing wise for long days in the saddle having been fine on a Fred whitton.

Can anyone advise if I'd be better going and buying a "cheap" cyclocross like a spesh triplecross?

I intend to go very light and prob only have a rack bag and maybe a handlebar bag but would rather not shell out for those if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers
Duke3376

Re: LE2JOG on a condor squadra

Post by Duke3376 »

God Morning Mcgroa,

I did LEJOG unsupported on a cyclocross with handlebar bag on panniers, check out my web page www.darrenlejog.weebly.com you find the bike that I used.

But what you will get from the members on here is some excellent advice on what bikes they have used.

Enjoy it, I did, loved the freedom that it gave me.

Duke
gareth2510

Post by gareth2510 »

Im planning exactly the same trip in April and had the same probs with my road bike.
I picked up a steel frame bike in the sales with rack mount and planning to use a pannier bag and small rack back bag...
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

cheers

the main rub for me is i just dont know if i really need to take much stuff to carry that would warrant full monty panniers.

i can envisage only carrying (in addition to what i would be wearing):

rack bag
1x cycle shorts, 1x cycle top, leg warmers, arm warmers, helly, lightweight waterproof, 1xtshirt, lightweight hiking short/trouser, 1xmicrofleece, 2xunderwear, usb charger, 2xinners, small toolkit and inflator, small toiletries and chammy butter.

bar mount energy bar bag
- few bars and gels but will restock daily

small handlebar bag
- map, phone, camera, wallet

Or do i miss something?
gareth2510

Post by gareth2510 »

Haha...we are at exactly the same point in our planning!!

Im using a single pannier bag (only because I already have) for my kit and a bar bag for pretty much the same as you...phones, route cards etc
...planning to keep kit load down to almost exactly the same also. ooohlaaaa.

As Im b&b ' ing it, one thing Im planning to do is to pre book and to then send up a parcel to each b&b stop with a mini shower gel, the following days gels and bars etc..keeps unnecessary weight down and avoids the hassle of having to source stuff.
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

Nice idea. I'm still tempted to have an idea of where to stay but not book anything and make it more of an adventure!
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

so im going to buy this setup and then see if it works. I only weigh 70kgs and see people on my bike weighing 90kgs so I fail to see the need for a new bike (although that would be nice, I'd rather be buying a new carbon racer than a tourer).

smallest ortelieb rack pack - slightly concerned it might poke out a bit unless i put it long ways, but its waterproof and can be carried as a normal bag.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-rack-pack-travel-bag-24-litre/

this i will put on a topeak or blackburn beam rack or similar -theirs a few to chose from (need to check my seatpost will be up to it)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-qr-beam-rack-mtx/

then one of these on the front
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-ultimate-5-compact-handlebar-bag/

mudguards will be raceblades

pedals will be spd and touring shoes so i dont need to take any other footwear with me (except maybe some flip flops).

gps - next bit of research. cheap garmin edge 800 with OSM looking good.
gareth2510

Post by gareth2510 »

When are you planning your trip mate?
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

tbd- probably middle 2 wks of may.
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

so i aquired the gear i will use and went out for 3-4 hrs last friday in the micturating rain and wind to test it.

I have a Carradice Nelson Long Flap saddlebag. This easily holds a complete spare set of cycle gear, waterproofs ( top, trousers, socks, overshoes ), a fleece and long climbing style trousers (that turn to shorts), two tshirts, two underwears, toolkit, 2 inners, toiletries, couple of chargers. It looks old school but is very handy especially the long flap, for chucking your waterproofs in and out.

This is mounted on the saddle rails using a Bagman 2 QR Expedition. This attaches to the rails of my seat, with support strutts down to a seatpost bracket. This is an additional collar with rubber shims that goes around seatpost stub (i.e. the metal from my frame that protrudes above the top tube and is below my seatpost collar) and has bolt holes to mount the bagman supports (which otherwise screw to your frame seatstay bolts). I had full bag and had no seatpost flex (im keeping my carbon one for now). Saddlebag was out the way of my legs, only issue is getting your leg over it!

I got a Ortlieb Classic handlebar bag. This holds all my energy bars, lunch, camera, wallet, maps etc etc. If you get this - you must get the map bag for the top, or something to block the press studd heads - they rattle like mad if not used and are infuriating.

Braking and Handling were fine, but just as with any loaded bike, corners need to be gentle, and climbing needs to be more in the saddle as the weight does waggle around a little.

Wheels and tyres seem fine.

I also used sks race blade mudguards - these are not so fine. Ive had them for some time, but they are so easy to knock and make rub or rattle that i will need to come up with something else that i can mount without bolts (theyre also not long enough).

Shoes are shimano mtb ones with spd pedals - if you only have 1 pair of shoes this is only way.

Now on to figure out what shorts/tshirts to wear (baggy vs tight debate going on)

Route more or less finalised following the cicerone e2e route modified to stop at friends parents where i'll forward mail some clean stuff and energy drink sachets.

transport - im going to book the johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk guys to bus us back to inverness, and fly home with bike posted home by them.

dates - going for 24th train down to penzance, start riding on 25th. Finish on 9th fly back 10th.
spike2446

Post by spike2446 »

Hi. I am doing LEJOG last week of May first week of June.

I have a Richard Byers Aravis lightweight tourer that I use for my 120mile a week commute.

I did Reivers route last year...I have Carradice 40 ltr bags, and a Topeak bar bag 2ltr. I won't load Carradice 40ltr bags..I will not take any civvies...maybe canvas trousers but have to keep weight down..think of posting stuff to Post Office by Post Restante any spares you want. I am going with a mate. We are doing 1 way van hire Penzance, bike taxi to inverness and sleeper back. I will forward bike lock to Inverness so we can lock bike on train...Job done eh !!