What do you think of our JoGLE route?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
CliveA

What do you think of our JoGLE route?

Post by CliveA »

Hi.

A friend and I (both first timers) are planning our JoGLE for late summer. 14 days, with accommodation arrangements yet to be fixed.

We wondered if we could share our interim planning map here, in case anyone had any thoughts or suggestions. Are any particular stages looking too short or too long?

All thoughts appreciated.

http://goo.gl/maps/pC1xv

Clive (and Andy)
Ron

Re: What do you think of our JoGLE route?

Post by Ron »

Unable to open the link :(
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

The bit between Carlisle and the B7076 looks as though you've used the cycle option on Google maps. This route wiggles around to take in designated cycle routes. If you use the walking option the route is a little more direct and saves about 4 miles.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exeter to Okehampton:
Why do you go on the A30 at Cheriton Bishop and leaving the Old A30?
Stay on the Old A30 all the way to Okehampton. Good road and all the heavy traffic is on the dual carriageway.

Okehampton to Golant:
Stay on the Granite Way all the way to the end, and NOT turning off at Lake Viaduct. Keep going and you can exit onto the A386. Ride half a mile, turn right at the Fox and Hounds, and find the next bit of the Granite Way on your left. Simpler, easier and less hills.

Better way, is NOT to use Granite Way at all!
Come out of Okehampton on the Old A30 and go past Betty Cottles B+B, and take the next turn on your right. This is a little road (short length of Old A30) and go up the hill to the crossroads. Turn left and follow the A386 past Sourton service area and under the A30 dual carriageway. Turn immediately right onto the Old A30 and follow this to Launceston over Polson Bridge into Cornwall.

From the centre of Launceston, head SW on the B3254 via South Petherwin all the way to the west of Pensilva and this will get you back onto your original route.

MUCH easier! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Here's the route, Exeter all the way to Golant.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=119551
Mick F. Cornwall
notlobgp14

Post by notlobgp14 »

Carlisle to Slaidburn

Wow. That will be a hard day. I'm not sure what the mileage is, but the hills climbed will be tremendous. You are going through a very nice scenic part of England, if you get the weather it will be great; if you don't you will be fed up. The A65 is not a good road for cyclists. I'd stay on the A683 to Melling, then cut across for Low Bentham and Bentham on the B6480. From Bentham you go up and over Lamb and Tatham Fells to Slaidburn. Make sure you have some supplies, as there is nothing between the two villages.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

notlobgp14 wrote:Carlisle to Slaidburn

Wow. That will be a hard day. I'm not sure what the mileage is, but the hills climbed will be tremendous. You are going through a very nice scenic part of England, if you get the weather it will be great; if you don't you will be fed up. The A65 is not a good road for cyclists. I'd stay on the A683 to Melling, then cut across for Low Bentham and Bentham on the B6480. From Bentham you go up and over Lamb and Tatham Fells to Slaidburn. Make sure you have some supplies, as there is nothing between the two villages.

+1 for that being a hard route. (85 miles taking 9.1/2 hrs.) Is there a reason for going the scenic routes?
Personally I would think about sticking to the A6 out off Carlilse to Shap. By all means veer off to Orton (cafe), Tebay and then B6260.
Nice route from Tebay, past the Howgills, to Sedburgh that you have chosen.
Any route that involves Slaidburn is going to be hilly and, as Notlongb notes, the A65 is not a pleasant cycle route.
The fells over the tops to Slaidburn are very open so you might consider an alternative route in case of bad weather.
You could take the A683 from Kirby Longsdale to Hornby/Caton and picking up "National Route 6" to Preston.

Of course a lot will depend on how you are doing it. Back up vehicle or carrying your own gear as well as fitness etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

love the Ferry rather than the Runcorn/Widnes bridge, but I wouldn't use the Chester Road unless time is the essence. I only cycle the Wirral occaisionally, but drive it lots

You are better using the west side of the Wirral - I'll do you a possible route when I get chance - NCN 56 is a starting point