Edge 800 will soon be bits of broken plastic.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mcgroa

Re: Edge 800 will soon be bits of broken plastic.

Post by mcgroa »

I copied routes off gpsies.com routes that i created/cobled/copied as gpx files.

have route guidance on, with no issues.

i see a nice line to follow on the map (handy hint - the screen contrast, brightness menu is hidden and only accessible with double click of power button)

when i miss a turn it beeps at me, which is great.

i dont have the cue sheet stuff - i dont need sat nav, just a map to follow.
Wheeledwidewebb

Post by Wheeledwidewebb »

Strange that. If I use a gpx track and I don't switch turn guidance off for the track then it will calculate a route for it.

Are you on the latest firmware?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Wheeledwidewebb wrote:Strange that. If I use a gpx track and I don't switch turn guidance off for the track then it will calculate a route for it.

Are you on the latest firmware?

I turned off route calculation to achieve this
Wheeledwidewebb

Another experiment done and I am pleased with the results.

Now of course everyone else may be doing this so it may only be me that has been slow on the uptake but here goes.

My problem is that I create a route (call it whatever you want) using BRT or RWGPS and I use the OSM-Cycle setting whilst doing so. This results in a route that includes cycle paths etc. and eventually gives me a GPX or a TCX.

I then copy it onto the Edge 800 and the unit tries to re-calculate it based on the mapping that is on the device - in my case City Navigator 2011.

City Navigator does not know about many cycle paths and so the resultant calculated course is different from my intended route because the Edge can only route using roads that it is aware of.

So I put the OSM maps on the Edge from Talkytoaster and, hey presto, I can make a route on BRT or RWGPS, copy it to the Edge and the re-calculated course is the same, presumably because the base mapping is the same.

This method also allows you to use the OSM mapping in Mapsource or Basecamp and plan your routes in there, or at least double check them in there.

I think I am happy now.
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

I find my 800 invaluable for following routes I've created, and have done so in Spain, France, & the UK.

There are many ways of creating routes, on and off road, but in case it's of interest this is what I do;

Using BRT, I create my route having selected 'use auto routing' and data 'google maps', and ensure that 'add course points at junctions' is deselected, otherwise you get a duplicate warning when navigating. When done you can review the course summary; distance, ascent etc. Then download, making sure that 'add course point warnings' is deselected, and choose the option 'download to Garmin GPS' and the .tcx option. A pop up confirms that this is for the Edge 800 device. The last part is to turn on the 800, select the course and select course options so you can select 'turn guidance on' as otherwise this defaults to off for some odd reason. When you do your ride you can view whatever screen you wish, and as you approach turns you should get the turn guidance screen;
P5166603_Copy.jpg

Just like a car GPS!

I sometimes link road sections with off road, or cycle routes, in which case deselect 'autorouting' while you're creating that section, and manually place each course point wherever you want it, then carry on with the rest of the route.

This isn't the only way of doing things, but there really is no need to be converting file formats, using multiple software applications etc.
barneybear69

Post by barneybear69 »

I have to agree with Whiskywheels.
I used my Garmin 800 on my www.nigelend2end.co.uk and it worked flawlessly.
I constructed my routes first on BRT and I do rmemeber having to make some adjustments within the Garmin 'settings'
2016 Mallorca touring htttp://www.mallorcacycletouring.co.uk

2011 Lands End to John O'Groats http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper C2C http://purplechopper.co.uk

Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Restored Raleigh Chopper MK2 (1974)
Wheeledwidewebb

I am totally sorted now.

Garmin maps gone off the E800, replaced by OSM so they match the mapping used by Ridewithgps.com and various others (BRT included).

Routes now designed with RWGPS because I find it so much easier to edit routes with it than I do with BRT.

Same OSM mapping installed on PC for Basecamp and Mapsource so that I can do bits and bobs offline if I need to.

Happy bunny.

As always, other peoples opinions, pointers, and guidance on here have helped me towards my inner calm. Thank you everyone.
rootes

Post by rootes »

yer I used edge 500 for Lejog.

uploaed each day as a TCX / course ceated with BRT then just set the edge to follow each days course.

looks lot easier with an 800 to look at