Penzance arrival help

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
antman

Penzance arrival help

Post by antman »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are contacts at Penzance to help with accommodation and getting to Lands End after the all day train journey?

Thanks
Si

Re: Penzance arrival help

Post by Si »

Penzance Tourist Info Centre ought to be able to help, or just do a search for Penzance accommodation.
As for getting to Lands End, most people who have to travel any distance to the start, stop the night at Penzance and either have an evening ride to LE and back, or ride down there the next morning.
horizon

Post by horizon »

antman wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if there are contacts at Penzance to help with accommodation and getting to Lands End after the all day train journey?

Thanks

antman: there is an excellent youth hostel in Penzance and more B&B/hotel accommodation than you could shake a stick at. I don't know about you but the first thing I want after a long train journey is a good cycle ride.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The one thing I want after a long train journey is a beer! :D

Yes, Google is your friend here. "Penzance accommodation" or "Penzance bed and breakfast" should turn up something. Get some phone numbers and give them a ring. Always best to actually speak to someone.
Mick F. Cornwall
BobTheCyclist

Post by BobTheCyclist »

When I stayed in Penzance, i gave this fella a ring........
http://www.landsendcyclehire.co.uk/land ... %20us.html

For £15, he took me and my bike in the back of his van from Penzance to Lands End
spike2446

Post by spike2446 »

http://www.landsendhostelaccommodation.co.uk/index.php
12 miles Penzance to Lands End...cycle it....!!!
Accomodation I havnt used but booked for my LEJOG in May/June...talked to lady who runs it...very welcoming??
notlobgp14

Post by notlobgp14 »

spike2446 wrote:http://www.landsendhostelaccommodation.co.uk/index.php
12 miles Penzance to Lands End...cycle it....!!!

+1 for above
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

May only be 12miles each way, but it's a difficult 12miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:May only be 12miles each way, but it's a difficult 12miles.

Why's that, Mick? I don't remember any great difficulty especially when compared to what I met in the next couple of days around the high moorland....has something changed? Think that I took the most direct route there and back.
BobTheCyclist

Post by BobTheCyclist »

Mick F wrote:May only be 12miles each way, but it's a difficult 12miles.

Its a waste of time 12 miles as well! It means you are adding 12 miles to your first day in the wrong direction!

Get a lift there, or do it the day before you set off and stay in that hostel, but dont do it on day 1, its pointless!
sjs

Post by sjs »

BobTheCyclist wrote:
...do it the day before you set off and stay in that hostel, but dont do it on day 1, its pointless!

Doesn't that boil down to a question of the definition of "day 1"?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At the other end of the country ...............

I started off from Wick and rode to JOG, and then back to Wick for my first day.
Mick F. Cornwall
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:At the other end of the country ...............

I started off from Wick and rode to JOG, and then back to Wick for my first day.

At the Land's End end I rode from Penzance to LE, then back to Porthleven on the south coast. Bit of a detour, but then I wasn't interested in speed, and there are three good pubs there. I do sometimes not count that as Day 1, though. :D
Si

Post by Si »

sjs wrote:
BobTheCyclist wrote:
...do it the day before you set off and stay in that hostel, but dont do it on day 1, its pointless!

Doesn't that boil down to a question of the definition of "day 1"?

Indeed. I 'spose it depends on what your aims are. For me it was to have a long enjoyable bike ride, thus paying someone to reduce the amount of riding I was able to do (and thus my enjoyment) would have seemed a bit odd. But if your target is to get from LA to JoG with the minimum risk of things going wrong, or within a very limited time scale, then I can see why you might want not to do extra miles.

Anyhoo, still not sure what is challenging about riding from Penz to LE compared to what comes later! Seem to remember there was a bit of a hump toward the LE end, but nothing too bad.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm with Mick F on that one - there's the main road, the A30, and all its traffic or else the indirect routes, which get longer and hillier the more indirect the route you choose. There is a YHA in Penzance...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)