LEJOG Beginners

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Milfred Cubicle

Cape Wrath - Pants???

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

What? Cape Wrath is a fab place! The whole adventure of getting there is great fun. As for a ferry, think more along the lines of a small fishing boat.
I'm not sure how you can check on the ferry times, I'm sure the T.I.C. could help. When I went, it was fairly late in the day. I asked the ferryman when the last boat back was. He said it all depended on how quick I could pedal, but not to worry, he wouldn't leave 'till I got back!
Yes, the land is a firing range. Have a look on M.O.D. website for range phone numbers- the range officers are usually very helpful.
As for the place, it is a true wilderness kind of spot. You feel a long way from anywhere, so if you don't like your scenery rugged and desolate, don't bother. If you can, take a small pair of binoculars. The birdlife on the cliffs is amazing, as is the sheer scale of the cliffs themselves. It's easy to see how it got its name.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My only experience of Cape Wrath is from a Naval point of view.
Having served in the RN for 27 years, and been involved in gunnery, we bombarded the Cape many many times whilst I was serving in a Scottish ship. The cliffs, as I remember, from seaward are tremendous, and were used as a 'target'.

For desolation go to Arnamurchan Point. It's the furthest westerly point on the British Mainland. Maybe 60 miles further west than LE. It like the face of the moon. Wild, desolate, and lonely. You get there over the Corran Ferry south of Ft William via Strontian, Salen and Kilchoan. No bombardment. We and the kids camped out there once when we lived in the West of Scotland.

Go there if you dare!
Mick F. Cornwall
paul walters

Start and End Points on LEJOG

Post by paul walters »

So, do I get the badge if I don't have my pic taken at the LE Fingerpost ?
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Mick F wrote:For desolation go to Arnamurchan Point. It's the furthest westerly point on the British Mainland. Maybe 60 miles further west than LE. It like the face of the moon. Wild, desolate, and lonely.

You make it sound terrible! We went there at Easter a few years ago and camped wild - it's a really beautiful place with nice walking and rock-climbing, and wonderful views south to Mull (it's just a short ferry ride from Tobermory) and north over the small isles to Skye. A friend has also been, and he reported camping by a lovely beach and picking fresh mussels for dinner.
Faeton

East or West?

Post by Faeton »

We are planning to do the LEJOG in June 2008 (see www.bikeforburns.com) and at the moment, we're looking at the nicest route. As this will be our first trip in the UK, we're trying to take in as much scenery as we can. I've opted for an East-of-the-Pennines route, as the surroundings of Oxford and York (including if we can the Dales) look attractive.

But now an Englishman living here in The Netherlands is asking me why I won't take the Western route, since it is much prettier. Is he right? We're planning to do the End-to-end in 20 stages, so the distance doesn't matter too much. We would love to get some advice on scenic routes and venues, without the rough stretches of some Sustrans alternatives such as the Transpennines Cycleway (that would be too much for us!).

Also, I wonder what would be a normal current price for a B&B (for two persons, including breakfast). In the travel journals, prices vary widely...

Thanks in advance, Jeroen and Gonny (from Almere, The Netherlands).
ransos

Post by ransos »

The route past Loch Lomond, Glen Coe, Ft William & Inverness is stunningly beautiful. However, there's a fair bit of traffic and there aren't many options for quieter roads. If I do the LEJOG again I'd probably try an easterly route along the old A9.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Having lived in W Scotland, and visit friends there every now and again, I can categorically state that they've ruined the Lomond Road/A82.

The road used to twist and turn in and out of the loch bays, with cliffs and beaches and views and quiet stretches. It's just a boring road now, with traffic coming out of your ears!

Do: Edinburgh, Pilochry, Kingussie, Aviemore, Inverness. Use the Old A9. Lovely and quiet.
Mick F. Cornwall
Faeton

Post by Faeton »

Thanks! That's how we've laid out the Scottish part, so we're not going to change that. Does the same apply for England however? If you're fond of great scenery, will you be better off taking the usual Western route?