Lands End - JOhn O Groats

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
leeinlancs

Lands End - JOhn O Groats

Post by leeinlancs »

I think the best thing is to enjoy it and only do the distance you are comfortable with each day - unless you like racing of course and going very fast. I prefer to see things along the way.
Just got some great Maps recently - well about a few months ago - i think i got them from the Stanfords shop just before the one in Manchester closed. They are 1:400 000 touring Maps of Great Britain and Ireland produced by Freytag-Berndt in Austria - good luck with finding them.
They really are very great - would be great for End to End. They show campsites which is great - i dont totally agree with Mick F that the last thing you want to do is put a tent up (unless perhaps of course you are cycling till very late in the evening)- i have a Jack Wolfskin tent i got some years ago - it is a dome tent and very quick and easy to put up - i dont carry pans and everything - i try to arrive just before dark - put up my tent and then cycle to a nearby Pub for dinner (camp sites can be near pubs - make sure you bring lights - but a camping headlight is alwasys good idea if its dark when you arrive ). The other thing about tents is sleep is immediate and blissfull - especially if you have been cycling all day have a good quality tent and a good karrimat). Breakfast can be a bit more tricky i guess but myself i dont eat till i been on the road a couple of hours anyway and then i find a nice cafe. If you are thinking of Camping have a look at some tents because some pack extremely small and light now - you only get what you pay for.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you completely. Except for the camping bit!

Camping is idyllic and tents these days are fantastic. The're light and easy to put up and pack away again.

Unless you're knackered and soaking wet. Also, the pub down the road may not do food!

Sorry, it's me being pessimistic .....
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Re: Lands End - JOhn O Groats

Post by ukdodger »

Thanks Lee for taking the trouble to type all that. I do appreciate your advice. Especially about the maps. I'd actually planned to use the Goldeneye maps as different heights are colour coded. Useful for an old bugger like me. But I know where Stanfords is and I'll look yours up. Most likely I will splash out on B&B's. Thanks again.
PW

Post by PW »

I prefer to carry camping gear, it always gives a back up & you're your own boss. If it's cold & wet & you're knackered there's always the option of a B&B, pub if you're lucky :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!