Alternatives to A30 (from split topic)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
dodger

Alternatives to A30 (from split topic)

Post by dodger »

<mod insertion: this thread has been split off from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77356 . The other thread carries discussion of the sad fatalities on this road, leaving this thread free to discuss alternative routes. Thanks.>

There have been many mentions of the A30 in these forums and, although some people recommend it, I use it rarely and then only for short distances where the alternative is impossible or too difficult.
It's an obvious route for those on LEJOG because it's direct and the hills aren't severe, but, although there is a small side section beyond a solid white line, as in so many main roads, it's usually full of grit, glass and general dirt and debris, so cyclists often find they are moving into the main carriageway. Also, fast moving large vehicles tend to pull and push you with their slipstream, which is severely destabilising.
It would be a great service to LEJOG cyclists generally if a number of viable alternatives were firmly recommended and published. Is this a potential CTC service?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Two cyclists killed this morning on A30

Post by Mick F »

dodger wrote:It would be a great service to LEJOG cyclists generally if a number of viable alternatives were firmly recommended and published. Is this a potential CTC service?
I do my best.

The A30 all the way to Exeter is indeed the quickest route, though in general I wouldn't recommend it except for LE to Hayle, and a short bit further on from Blackwater to Zelah.
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

dodger wrote:It would be a great service to LEJOG cyclists generally if a number of viable alternatives were firmly recommended and published. Is this a potential CTC service?

It already is a CTC service with the CTC End to End Pack http://www.ctc.org.uk/article/cycling-g ... hn-ogroats describing three different routes with lots of other information.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, and I wouldn't suggest those routes for anyone having less than a fortnight to do them.

Most folk haven't much time off work, and 10 to 12 days is what they want - or many want even less. The CTC routes are way too slow for them, hence that LEJOGers use the A30 ............ and the A9 too.
Mick F. Cornwall
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

Aikon wrote:Ditto we start in 2 weeks from JoG and I've been back over the route avoiding more A roads, we ride into Wadebridge on the A39 for the last 10 or so miles on day 11 and I'm reconsidering that.

is that from camelford?not so bad after wadebridge towards newquay but camelford to wadebridge is an orrible road :(
I`m def too old for this!
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Camelford to Wadebridge, we're on 25c road tyres so I didn't think the Camel trail would be suitable, any suggestions gratefully received
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Aikon wrote:Camelford to Wadebridge, we're on 25c road tyres so I didn't think the Camel trail would be suitable, any suggestions gratefully received

I'd take some of the NCN 3 route that goes past Crowdy reservoir, then head to Wadebridge via St Maybyn, see Tour of the Moors link below for details.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tour-of-the-Moors-200K-Audax

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-3

Click cycle tab to see NCN routes:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Erudin wrote:I'd take some of the NCN 3 route that goes past Crowdy reservoir, then head to Wadebridge via St Maybyn, see Tour of the Moors link below for details.
I'd suggest taking the B3266 to St Mabyn and there to Wadebridge.
Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 08.41.31.png

Or perhaps via Delabole.
Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 08.43.14.png

I agree that the A39 isn't nice, but it's fast and smooth and the Allen Valley is fine. I've ridden that road a few times and never had a problem. It's a long climb coming up to Valley Truckle from the Wadebridge end, but going the other way it's downhill of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
bogmyrtle

Re: Alternatives to A30 (from split topic)

Post by bogmyrtle »

There was a double fatality on the A30 yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-23157100
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Si

Post by Si »

This thread was split from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77356 which has already seen much discussion of the sad fatalities. We'd be grateful if you could put discussion of the fatalities in that thread and discussions of the alternative routes in this one please.

Cheers!
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

We used the Camel Trail from Camelford to Bodmin (staying night with friends there) during our JoGLE on the tandem (700C 25 tyres, Marathon Supreme) no problems. Good surface, quiet, beautiful, slightly downhill all the way from the start a couple of miles south of Camelford, to Wadebridge. The close you get to Wadebridge the busier it gets but the really busy section is Wadebridge to Padstow.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

How about Jeremy's passage as an alterative? The link from Mitchell is on the attached link, I believe I have I have come up with a route which will avoid the worst of the hills and most of the A roads.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=421913

I would leave Lands End early in the morning (say 9am) so that you are cycling on the A30 when it isn’t busy. I would not use the National Cycle Network (NCN) to Penzance as there is a massive hill going out of Lamorna Cove!)

Just before Penzance I would head on the B3315 to Newlyn and then cycle along the sea-front to Penzance Railway Station, from there, I would cycle to Longrock and then cycle a small distance along the coast road to look at St Michaels Mount.

I would then pick up the NCN, cycle through St Erth to Hayle.

If you are in the rush, I would use the A30 from Penzance all the way to St Erth as this is a single lane road and I have always felt safe riding on this. From St Erth you join the old A30 through Hayle

The NCN gets hilly after Hayle, and I would avoid the old A30 (going through Connor Downs) as you will need to tackle Camborne and Redruth which can be confusing.

From Hayle I would take the B3301 to Portreath. There is a slight incline to Gwithian Towans, and another climb after Godrevy to Hells Mouth, but after that the road is quite flat and the scenery is superb. Also, not much traffic.

At Portreath I would continue on the B3300 and cycle through North Country, through Radnor and then there is a footpath after Radnor which will take you North of Scorrier. I would then head to Skinners Bottom, Two Burrows

Here you have two choices, either cycle into Truro and then up the Ladock valley to Fraddon or you can cycle to Mithian and then on the B3285 and down into Perranporth, Goonhaven, St Newlyn East, Mitchell, St Enoder, Fraddon. The second option is longer but safer.

From Fraddon I would take the Goss Moor cyclepath which was the old A30. This is mainly traffic free and takes you to Victoria.

From Victoria I would head to Inchs, Withielgoose Mills and Threewaters. At Boscarne I would cycle on the Camel Trail which is a disused railway line (so it’s flat and no traffic). This line takes you pass Bodmin and you end up at Blisland on Bodmin Moor. I would then follow the NCN to Hallworthy. Turn right on the A395 and then next left towards Egloskerry which will take you to Launceston and from their onto the old A30 which will take you out of Cornwall and all the way to Exeter if you so reach, but I have been known to take Rob's passage.

I hope this has helped those trying to avoid the busy A30.
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

My 2010 17 day route through Cornwall avoided the A30 and most busy main roads. It was partially based on Allan Pewsy group's LEJOG. I could have easily trimmed a couple of day's off if I'd avoided Chester and Belmont (instead via Chorley). Most days I set off between 9.30am to 10am arriving around 4pm. Then aged 65 the hills of Cornwall didn't bother me whilst the hills of Scotland I found tedious and boring, not unlike my experience of crossing the Pennines on a C2C in 2011. My wife ferried my luggage on my LEJOG not on my C2C. Overnight stops were sometimes influenced by me finding places that did good food.

Michael's 2010 LEJOG
http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93
Day1 LE to Lanlivery
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/624719- ... 28/terrain
Day 2 Lanlivery to Topsham
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/625043- ... 17/terrain
dodger

Post by dodger »

Jeremy, your route looks much more interesting than the boring (and dangerous) A30. Must try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jeremy Bond wrote:How about Jeremy's passage as an alterative?
I must confess that I still haven't tried it, even though I have the route saved on my computer. :oops:
I did promise to try it, but I never got round to it. :oops:

I've the opportunity tomorrow for a long ride and I intend leaving at 06:00 tomorrow but going up to North Cornwall .... Kilkhampton/Bude/Crackington Haven/Boscastle/Tintagel. Next week will see me having another long ride, so I'll see what I can do towards Jeremy's Passage.
Mick F. Cornwall