Accomodation and bike security....

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Peejay56

Accomodation and bike security....

Post by Peejay56 »

Hi Everyone,
On the LEJOG - does anyone have any recommended places to stay that also have good bike security over night. Not a post to lock the bike to, but preferably a garage or even let you keep your bike in your room.

Thanks,

Pete.
irc

Re: Accomodation and bike security....

Post by irc »

Dumfries Travelodge let me take my bike in the room. I've heard other Travelodges also don't object to bikles in rooms.

That said I think the risk of theft for any bike locked at the rear of any rural hotel/BB would be pretty low. Cycle theft is largely an urban problem.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When you book, just ask about bike security. If the answer is unsatisfactory don't book.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Kendal , Sundial B&B Bike kept in secure garage.
Lockerbie, Tarras B&B locked up to eye bolts in secure yard at back of guest house. http://www.tarrasbandb.co.uk/location
Loch Lomond SYHA, bike shed.
Farr Cottage, Corpach? Near Fort William, bike in secure portacabin back of property
Great Glen hostel Laggan, stone bike shed.
Helmsdale SYHA, Bike shed.
JOG SYHA (closed I think ? ) bike shed.
Inverness SYHA, secure room, outside access.
Pitlochry, Tiraluinn , B&B Locked garage http://www.tiraluinn.co.uk/
Peebles, Lindores B&B locked outhouse/ garage http://www.lindorespeebles.co.uk/
Okehampton, Betty Cottles Bike shed.
Penzance, YHA bike shed
Bath, YHA bike shed

a few to be going on with :)

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Ron

Post by Ron »

al_yrpal wrote:When you book, just ask about bike security. If the answer is unsatisfactory don't book.

Precisely that, and you will seldom be disappointed.
I can only recall one place where I walked away, that was a hotel in Canterbury where they insisted the only avaiable storage place was in their unlocked wheely bin compound.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:When you book, just ask about bike security. If the answer is unsatisfactory don't book.

Al
That is what I always do. Worked for me.

When I get there, and lock the bike and trailer away, I always ask to get back to it during the evening for checks, and first thing in the morning for maintenance and loading up etc. Sometimes they have difficulty with this because they hold the key and may not be available, but if you ask nicely, there are ways and means.
Mick F. Cornwall
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

ferrit worrier wrote:Lockerbie, Tarras B&B locked up to eye bolts in secure yard at back of guest house. http://www.tarrasbandb.co.uk/location

Now closed down unfortunately - the owners have retired.

ferrit worrier wrote:Okehampton, Betty Cottles Bike shed.

When we were at Betty Cottles they told us we just had to leave our bikes outside. We locked them to a drainpipe, but it's such a quiet location we didin't think it was particularly high risk.

On our ride, the following establishments offered secure storage of some kind:

Carony B&B, Indian Queens – bike stored in locked shed
Admiral’s Rest Guest House, Bridgwater – bike locked to racks in walled garden
The Old Post Office, Shrewsbury – bike kept in locked store room
Travelodge Haydock St. Helen’s – bike allowed in room
Bridge House B&B, Kendal – bike stored in locked shed
Buttonboss Lodge, Pitlochry - bike stored in locked garage
Millcroft B&B, Tomatin - bike stored in utility room
Ambleside B&B, Lairg - bike stored in locked garage
The Sheiling B&B, Melvich - bike stored in locked garage
puffin

Post by puffin »

All YHA's seem to have a locked bike shed...and a drying room

Here's my experience
Penlea House Camelford B&B Locked garage
Bampton, friend's cottage
Cheddar YHA Bike shed
Wye Valley YHA ditto
Fox In, Much Wenlock, locked cellar
Middlewich Travelodge, bike in room
Slaidburn YHA, locked bike shed
Briardale B&B Lazonby (bloody excellent) Locked garage
Tushielaw Inn, Ettrick, bring it in with you, top man Gareth
Kinross, Windlestrae Hotel, (again, bloody amazingly ggod service) in a room by reception
Spittal of Glenshea Hotel, in the not-used ballroom
Grantown on Spey, Seafield Lodge, great place but they didn't quite understand my love for the Galaxy, eventually chained to a fence round the back
Bonar Bridge, Kyle House, garage round the back. Highly recommended
Bettyhill, Farr House, shed, no problem

Hope this helps, have a great trip
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Whenever I have stayed at a Travelodge with my bike (or 2 when with wife) they have been kept in the room overnight without staff objections. Same with Premier Inn (except once, at Bilsborrow). No objection at Days Inn, Abington (A74M) either. Usually they will accommodate you in a ground floor, for ease of access, if asked. Doncaster (Lakeside) was an exception being up on the 4th floor :shock: requiring a bit of ingenuity. Lovely setting at this one BTW; clue's in the name. Mind you, I think it is only fair to clean the bike up a bit if you arrive after a wet day on the road, so that it does not drain onto the carpet and leave mucky stains.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

GavinC wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:Lockerbie, Tarras B&B locked up to eye bolts in secure yard at back of guest house. http://www.tarrasbandb.co.uk/location

Now closed down unfortunately - the owners have retired.

Shame about Tarras B&B lovely couple John and Joan, I hope they have a long and happy retirement. :D

Quite agree with the location of Betty Cottles, it wouldn't have been a problem.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
karl

Post by karl »

Hi . I stayed in travelodges where bike in my room was not a problem.
also stayed at lands end hostel. alvey house hotel(newton more), inerbrora farm house( brora) all kept under lock and key til the morning.
series3safari

Post by series3safari »

Although I haven't done lejog, my work often takes me to the far north (sadly in the car, though occasionally with a bike on the roof for an evening spin) where I stay in a very nice B&B in Thurso. I was there on Thursday and noticed that the proprietor had put two lejoggers' bikes in the hall, just outside my room. I'm sure he would be very happy to do that for anyone. Very obliging couple and lovely B&B. It's called Pennyland House, owned by Raymond and Carol Taylor.
Peejay56

Post by Peejay56 »

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

Pete.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

irc wrote:Dumfries Travelodge let me take my bike in the room. I've heard other Travelodges also don't object to bikles in rooms.

That said I think the risk of theft for any bike locked at the rear of any rural hotel/BB would be pretty low. Cycle theft is largely an urban problem.

This reminds me of when I rode into Scotland and stayed the first night in a b&B that was on a main road in a village in Dumfriess-shire. I asked the landlady where I could park my bike and she told me to put it into their garage next to the house, which was open at the time. So I did and thought nothing of it.

When I got up the next morning and went to collect my bike, the garage door was still wide open and my bike was still there as I had left it (unlocked). I asked the landlady whether she had closed up the garage the previous evening and she said "No, we never close the garage, nothing gets stolen around here."

It was a nice introduction to rural Scotland and what is almost a by-gone trusting age, but I was also slightly concerned, as the garage faced directly towards on-coming traffic (the house was on a bend in the road) so anyone driving up the hill towards it looked straight into it.
series3safari

Post by series3safari »

We lived in the lovely village of Cromarty (north of Inverness on the Balck Isle) in the mid 90s, and locked the front door (which was right on the street as with most houses there) only rarely. Apologies about being off topic, though if you deploy that Cromarty to Nigg ferry then Cromarty is very much on route for LEJOG.