2008 - LEJOG? or where?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

2008 - LEJOG? or where?

Post by Mick F »

I've done JOGLE and LEJOGLE, and driven a support vehicle LEJOG. I've advised countless times on these pages about LEJOG, I've eaten, slept, and dreamed about LEJOG, and studied maps until I've been blue in the face.

I want to do another Great Ride next year, and want to do all the best bits again. My Best Bit was the ride from Helmsdale up to JOG and back to Helmsdale. The weather was brilliant, the scenery magnificent and the hills fantastic. The 106 miles I did that day were probably the best 100 miles I've ever cycled. I can't re-capture that day, it will just stay in my memory.

Where are all YOUR Best Bits on LEJOG? Give me places to ride to on YOUR route. I don't particularly want to do LE or JOG, but ANY points in between sound good to me.

I have a hankering to cycle in Snowdonia, the Peak District, the Lake District, the Pennines and perhaps over Rannoch Moor, and over the Pass of the Cattle to Applecross and Loch Torridon.

I also feel like I'd like to cycle to Mercian in Derby, and show off my beast.

Come on, which of Your Best Bits should Me, Bike and Trailer visit?
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

I think my fave bit of LEJOG was through Glastonbury, Wells and over the Mendips - plenty of history and culture around, and despite not being the biggest hills, after the flatness of the Somerset Levels, the Mendips were a satisfying climb.

Other fave bits: up through Newtonmoree (SP?) to Avimore on a deserted A9 on a blazing hot day with snow still on the mountain tops.

Climbing up to the peeks on the Cornish moors, through the mist and drizzle and suddenly breaking out into the sun and the scenery which arrived all in one sudden expansive hit.

My bit from Helmsdale had potential to be nice but the drizzle and the headwinds were doing their best to dampen it.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

One of the nicest days out I've had was Applecross - I did a two day trip with my lad from Torrin on Skye to Shieldaig. The second day, from Lochcarron to Shieldaig, over the Bealach na Ba, was wonderful - great weather, great roads, a superb pub lunch at the Applecross Inn (in the beer garden looking out to Skye), and a fair bit of lounging around/playing. And finished off with a good time in the playground in Shieldaig, and another good meal in the pub there.

I've not done LEJOG, but I doubt I could just bypass the North West on the way. In fact, I think I'd have to take in most of the Islands too!

There seems to be a theme developing, involving good weather... perhaps that's why we saw so few other cyclists touring Northern Ireland!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Talking about the Glastonbury area

The climb from Wells to Priddy on a cold day and a rewarding pint in the Queen Victoria with it's open central fires is a wonderful experience..........................

.........................but not as good as a warming up pint in the Queen Victoria and a descent on a recumbent trike to Wells!
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Round Ireland would be quite tempting! Not sure of the distance, but you could have agreat time, good food, good beer, good company!

Or maybe JOGLE via the Stranraer to Lurgan ferry, down through Ireland to Rosslare, ferry to Fishguard, though the Brecon Beacons to Gloucester, drop down to Salisbury & back along the south coast?

My stoker & I are doing JOGLE next year (June after the boys have done their A levels / GCSE's), cycling home all the way on our tandem!
PW

Post by PW »

I was intending to ride the W coast of Scotland this "Summer" but it never stopped raining up there so we went to Lands End ish instead. You won't want the trailer on the Bealach, believe me. It runs nice and steady from sea level for about 3 miles then goes into a series of stupidly steep hairpins just when your legs are screaming for a rest. It tops out at 2,053ft after about 4 miles, then drops back to sea level down the other side in about the same distance. The good news is the view from the top - McCleods Tables on Skye 27 miles away - and the food/beer in the Applecross Inn!
There's always the Santander ferry, come back from Roscoff. :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I thought about stopping over at Lochcarron. Then cycling over the pass with just a day bag, lunch at Applecross, then back to the digs for tea. We drove the route years ago whilst holidaying in Kyle so know about the hill!

Santander to Roscoff isn't out of the question, but it was LEJOG parts that I want.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Mick F. Cornwall
dodger

Post by dodger »

I'm looking forward to the Pilgrim Trail, but maybe try the Roscoff - Santander part first and think about the rest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

On the Ireland theme there is always the Irish end to end, South to North up the west coast, a couple of our wednesday ladies are doing it this autumn.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

PW wrote:You won't want the trailer on the Bealach, believe me.

It's not as bad as I expected - I had my son on the bike seat, and a trailer with camping gear (although no stove, as we were pubbing it!). We also had nappies... but still had little bother with it. Mind you I did have a 22 inch bottom gear. Having said that, doing it as a loop from Lochcarron would be more pleasant. I particularly remember thinking the section back from the end of the peninsular to Shieldaig would be much more pleasant unladen - lots of undulations you might be able to whizz over travelling light, but that you are forced into bottom gear for with luggage.

I really fancied doing part of what we did this summer, then continuing up North, i.e., to Isle of Man, then Belfast, up the coast to Ballycastle, then on to the Scottish Islands... Unfortunately Calmac scuppered that one by stopping the service from Ballycastle to Scotland. I still fancy going up the islands though: Ardrossan - Arran - Kintyre - Islay/Jura - Oban - Mull - Ardnamurchan - Mallaig - Skye - Applecross, and up the west coast (with the option of heading out to the Western Isles...). There's something special about island hopping with just a bike.
Richard

Post by Richard »

LEJOG pretty much misses Wales - why not come here?
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

How about going up the west coast LE to JOG taking in Wales, down the east coast to Dover and along the south coast to LE staying as close to the coastline as possible all the way.

If I'm still cycling when I retire that's what I want to do.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Si

Post by Si »

or even a lejog that also takes in an end-to-end or Eire: the "Celtic" E2E
Lands end, up over the Severn Estuary, along south coast of Swansea, hop on ferry to the Rep of Ireland, over to the SW corner then ride N, over the boarder into N.Ireland, up to the NE corner, hop on ferry to SW Scotland, up the scenic west coast (inc a bit of Island hoping), and on over to JOG. Then, to round things off, another ferry and do an E2E of Orkney too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Richard wrote:LEJOG pretty much misses Wales - why not come here?

Yes, Snowdonia beckons .....

I thought about stopping at Welsh Bicknor YHA and riding up to NW Wales somewhere, then east to my sister's at Wrexham.

Me and my mate Paul toured from Wigan to Snowdon in the summer of '68. We climbed the mountain leaving our bikes at the tent near Llyn Cwellyn and the Snowdon Ranger YHA. We did a bit of cycling about the area, and returned home by train coz we woz knackered!
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

SE Asia (Thailand, Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc) takes some beating. Cheap, good weather, great food, some stunning scenery and very friendly people. Strangely, very few Brits touring there.