Lejog (again)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ransos

Lejog (again)

Post by ransos »

Well, I popped my Lejog cherry at last! Set off from LE on 26th August and arrived in JOG last Thursday morning. Magnificent scenery and riding, only spoilt slightly by a headwind for most of the trip (what happened to the prevailing south westerly?!) Highlights for me were getting to the top of Dartmoor, and the descent into Glencoe from Rannoch moor. I also managed to raise a couple of quid for MacMillan.

Some random things I learnt.

1. If you a reasonably fit, then you can get by without formal training as long as you take the first 3 days fairly easy.
2. Specialized Avatar saddles are Satan's spawn.
3. Nurofen gel is excellent for when you are feeling a sore, whether it be your knees, undercarriage or whatever.
4. Phillips large scale road atlases are perfectly detailed enough - we just drew the route with a highlighter pen, and never got lost.
5. Panaracer pasela tyres are brilliant - not one puncture.
6. The A49 and A9 (for 10 miles north of Inverness) are deeply unpleasant.
7. Bus drivers wish to kill you. I was quite literally run off the road twice by them.
8. A GPS is handy if your YHA or B&B is in a largish town.
9. Single malt tastes great but is not conducive to early starts.
10. Mountain bikers ignore me when I'm on my road bike.
11. Roadies ignore me when I'm on my mountain bike.
12. Panniers feel heavier at the end of the day than the beginning.
vernon

Re: Lejog (again)

Post by vernon »

ransos wrote:Well, I popped my Lejog cherry at last! Set off from LE on 26th August and arrived in JOG last Thursday morning. Magnificent scenery and riding, only spoilt slightly by a headwind for most of the trip (what happened to the prevailing south westerly?!) Highlights for me were getting to the top of Dartmoor, and the descent into Glencoe from Rannoch moor. I also managed to raise a couple of quid for MacMillan.

Some random things I learnt.

1. If you a reasonably fit, then you can get by without formal training as long as you take the first 3 days fairly easy.
2. Specialized Avatar saddles are Satan's spawn.
3. Nurofen gel is excellent for when you are feeling a sore, whether it be your knees, undercarriage or whatever.
4. Phillips large scale road atlases are perfectly detailed enough - we just drew the route with a highlighter pen, and never got lost.
5. Panaracer pasela tyres are brilliant - not one puncture.
6. The A49 and A9 (for 10 miles north of Inverness) are deeply unpleasant.
7. Bus drivers wish to kill you. I was quite literally run off the road twice by them.
8. A GPS is handy if your YHA or B&B is in a largish town.
9. Single malt tastes great but is not conducive to early starts.
10. Mountain bikers ignore me when I'm on my road bike.
11. Roadies ignore me when I'm on my mountain bike.
12. Panniers feel heavier at the end of the day than the beginning.

Congratulations!

And in response....

1 I never cease to be amazed by folk that spend month training for the ride even going as far a s riding about for days with panniers filled with water bottles to simulate a camping load. By all means do a mini tour to try out the kit but pointless loaded miles... I've done it twice. Once weight 23 stones and once a couple of stones light. Both times camped unsupported.

2. Brooks B17 saddles are the way to go.

3. Ibuprofen tablets/capsules are wonderful analgesics. Heard them described as cycle candy....

4. Would be with out my Philips pages. Show the location of camp sites too.

5. You were lucky :-)

6. The A74 'Cumberland Gap' is far more unpleasant. Your life is at risk on this short stretch of road.

7. Not a ounce of bother with other uses but there again I'm as wide as a bus :-)

8. A sense of adventure is better than a GPS if you have a tent :-)

9. Highland Park is a great way to end the ride at JOG.

10. That's their problem.

11 That's their problem.

12. Mine are usually lighter as I've eaten the food and drank the fluids....

13. I never had a a day without a pleasant onversation with a total stranger.

14. Folk will spring to one's assistance if there's a problem with the bike often refusing payment for out of pocket expenses.

15. Folk can be very generous. I've had free food, camp site pitches, wine, beer, bike repairs and lift to bike shops to procure spare parts.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep. Well done! And I agree about Highland Park!

I never had a problem with the A49 or the A9. The A9 can be by-passed by using the Old A9 and it's attendant cycle track.

Stay off the A74! Go via A7 to Edinburgh and Forth Road Bridge.
Mick F. Cornwall
ransos

Post by ransos »

Thanks for the responses. After extensive trials, I can confirm my favourite malt as 15 year old Laphroaig, which just pips 18 year old Talisker. I have a bottle of Highland Park at home though, which is also very nice.

As for the A74 - no problem whatsoever - we headed to Longtown on the A7, then cut back to Gretna to join the old A74 that runs alongside the new motorway. Virtually traffic free all the way to Hamilton, then up to the Loch Lomond/ Clyde cycle path. The cycle path is an easy way to get through Glasgow, but is a festival of broken glass. A82 up to Ft William was very busy, but worth it for the stunning scenery through to Glencoe. Managed to avoid most of the main road between Ft William & Inverness by using forest & tow paths on the Great Glen Way, then cut onto the minor road south of Loch Ness at Ft Augustus all the way to Inverness. Very steep climb but beautiful scenery and very quiet road.

If I do the ride again (we're thinking around 10 years time as we'll both be 40) I'd probably try the route via Edinburgh & Cairngorm and also go east of the Pennines.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mick F wrote: The A9 can be by-passed by using the Old A9 and it's attendant cycle track.

Some confusion here I think, the old A9 route is considerably longer, and has no "attendant cycle track" for the 10 miles north of Inverness quoted by the OP.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry. I was meaning A9 Perth to Inverness. That's me not reading properly!

The Kessock bridge IS a nightmare, though you can cycle behind the crash barrier away from the traffic.

North of Kessock the A9 isn't a problem at all, especially after Tore roundabout on The Black Isle. Much less busy, and a good road all the way to Latheron. (Then A99 to JOG) However, going via Evanton, Alness, Invergordon and Barbaraville is a nice route by the Cromarty Firth.
Mick F. Cornwall