How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Tigerbiten

Re: How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Post by Tigerbiten »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:I've done "Home -> LE -> JoG -> Home" twice now.
Both times I wandered around a lot, so both times where +4,000 miles Home to Home.

Jesus - that's a lot of 'wandering about'. I have just played with a route finder to find that Bangor (Wales) - LE - JOG - and back to Bangor via Lowestoft is about 2,800 miles, where did you go? I did JOGLE via Dunnet Head and Lizard Point and avoided all A-roads where I could and was surprised that this still 'only' came to 1,029 miles.

First time:- Northampton -> LE was fairly direct but I then did the 4 cardinals on the way north.
So I was ~2,700 when I got to JoG.
Then up to the Shetlands -> out to the Hebs -> down to Norfolk via the Lakes before heading home.

Second time:- Northampton to the south coast going east of London -> then most of the south coast to LE -> up to Derby -> then most of the Welsh coast -> most of the Scottish coast via Durness to JoG -> zig-zagged back to the Hebs then on to Inverness -> headed south from there and arrived back on the east coast at the Humber -> followed the coast to the Thames before looping around Birmingham on the way home.

Both trips where just over 4,000 miles and took 4 months.
Like I say, I wandered a lot ........... :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

LEJoG once
JoGLE once but I rode from home to JoG to start with the intention of riding back home to Stockport from LE unfortunately I got floored by the heat of the day on the way down to Penzance on the Sunday. so I rode to LE on the Monday and had to call it a day, so I suppose you could say 2 1/2 times :wink:

I've just started booking my accommodation for a third run LEJoG in September, I'm taking in Lizard point and Dunnet head this time. I booked my second night at Tumbly Down Farm just north of Redruth. they have a collection of old mine trucks and locomotives which just happened to be based round the corner from home many years ago then it disappeared, it was based in the grounds of a local college and had to go when they wanted to expand. looking forward to an early arrival and a bit of a play at trains :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Tigerbiten wrote:I've done "Home -> LE -> JoG -> Home" twice now.
Both times I wandered around a lot, so both times where +4,000 miles Home to Home.

That's impressive. How long did you take and what average daily milage?
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done it twice with the CTC and am doing no.3 in May.
However, I've also done Paris-Nice, Bordeaux-Nice, Strasbourg-Nice, Barcelona-Lisbon (small bit of train there), Barcelona-France-Santiago and other longish ones.
Lejog isn't quite the best but it's well organised and the company on the organised trip is good.

I've done some other ones in Britain that people might consider. Whitehaven-Newcastle (VERY hilly), Southport to Hornsea, bumpy but a great ride (mostly on tracks etc), a two week tour of Yorkshire Moors-York-Dales (that was fabulous) a tour of Devon and Cornwall off-season (brilliant), West Coast of Scotland several times.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

ukdodger wrote:
phil parker wrote:One LEJoG
One JoGLE

I want to do the double even if it is from home to home incorporated.

' home to home incorporated'??

Sorry, that's a colloquialism that might not have the same meaning to you: think of it (in my terms) as legitimized - going from home to LE to JoG back home and still counting as a double. (As opposed to a direct end-to-end double)
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I've done Lejog once, but I would love to do it again.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Starfire wrote:I've done Lejog once, but I would love to do it again.

Careful. You'll become addicted.
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

ukdodger wrote:It's a strangely addictive ride. I've done it three times and know I'll do it again. I've heard of a bloke who's done it fifty times. I wonder what the record is.

I did my maiden e2e last year, LEJOG but a charity awareness tour that took in Wales for a couple of days and 1100 miles. I am hoping to do the JOGLE reverse this year over 17 days zig-zagging, my draft route is 1200 miles. I am not the fittest, and the hill climbing is my nemesis, but it's a great way to keep fit, raise awareness and funds for my charity. I must admit I fell in love with Scotland last year.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Ashley wrote:
ukdodger wrote:It's a strangely addictive ride. I've done it three times and know I'll do it again. I've heard of a bloke who's done it fifty times. I wonder what the record is.

I did my maiden e2e last year, LEJOG but a charity awareness tour that took in Wales for a couple of days and 1100 miles. I am hoping to do the JOGLE reverse this year over 17 days zig-zagging, my draft route is 1200 miles. I am not the fittest, and the hill climbing is my nemesis, but it's a great way to keep fit, raise awareness and funds for my charity. I must admit I fell in love with Scotland last year.

Yes it's my favourite touring destination. Hat's off for touring in Wales where back to back mountains take the place of hills. I rode from Fishguard to England more or less a straight route and I'll never do it again.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Only done LEJOG just the once so far, in 2010.

Rode it with my wife on hybrid singles; combined age of 125. Her idea (to hear is to obey). Hope to repeat before I become an ancestor.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

ukdodger wrote:
Starfire wrote:I've done Lejog once, but I would love to do it again.

Careful. You'll become addicted.

Yer not kidding there matey :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
loafer

Post by loafer »

twice for me first 1995 legog solo on my 40th 14 day ctc route second was in 2005 lejog on my 50th with a ctc member who wanted a ride buddy 17 day busy working on a joggle route for next year (60th) :D

lejog.jpg
Attachments
lejog 001.jpg
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

loafer wrote:twice for me first 1995 legog solo on my 40th 14 day ctc route second was in 2005 lejog on my 50th with a ctc member who wanted a ride buddy 17 day busy working on a joggle route for next year (60th) :D

lejog.jpg

Congrats. Why not do it both ways.

Nice bike. I like horizontal TT's
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Somehow it never appealed as I am a meanderer and explorer.

The time scales and itenary are not my thing
I am doing it (ish) as part of my Coastal project where I am completing the UK Coast in bits and have gone from Portsmouth to Glasgow and Edinburgh (East and West Coasts) Scotland is next!
loafer

Post by loafer »

ukdodger wrote:
loafer wrote:twice for me first 1995 legog solo on my 40th 14 day ctc route second was in 2005 lejog on my 50th with a ctc member who wanted a ride buddy 17 day busy working on a joggle route for next year (60th) :D

lejog.jpg

Congrats. Why not do it both ways.

Nice bike. I like horizontal TT's

mmmmm now thers an :idea: ......... thanks its my fav bike of the lot Arthur caygill made to measure that one in photo got nicked but insurance paid up no probs she looks like this now :D

Image :x
Last edited by loafer on 26 May 2014, 5:49pm, edited 2 times in total.