How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
The Mechanic

Re: How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Post by The Mechanic »

Done LEJOG once in 2012 and had a great time. This year I am doing Dover to Cape Wrath last week in June/first week in July. The route takes in some island hopping, Arran, Mull and Skye. Can't wait but need some serious training following surgery for cancer last July.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

The Mechanic wrote:Done LEJOG once in 2012 and had a great time. This year I am doing Dover to Cape Wrath last week in June/first week in July. The route takes in some island hopping, Arran, Mull and Skye. Can't wait but need some serious training following surgery for cancer last July.

Great good luck. With the surgery and the trip. Only two weeks. That's going some! Are you going to follow the coast?
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

loafer wrote:
ukdodger wrote:
loafer wrote:twice for me first 1995 legog solo on my 40th 14 day ctc route second was in 2005 lejog on my 50th with a ctc member who wanted a ride buddy 17 day busy working on a joggle route for next year (60th) :D

lejog.jpg

Congrats. Why not do it both ways.

Nice bike. I like horizontal TT's

mmmmm now thers an :idea: ......... thanks its my fav bike of the lot Arthur caygill made to measure that one in photo got nicked but insurance paid up no probs she looks like this now :D

Image :x but insurance paid up no probs she looks like this now :

Shame it got knicked. I get attached to my bikes. Insurance or no I'd be seriously upset to think of some thieving scum using it. Top tubes not flat on that one. Hand made? Nice colour.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

ukdodger wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:Done LEJOG once in 2012 and had a great time. This year I am doing Dover to Cape Wrath last week in June/first week in July. The route takes in some island hopping, Arran, Mull and Skye. Can't wait but need some serious training following surgery for cancer last July.

Great good luck. With the surgery and the trip. Only two weeks. That's going some! Are you going to follow the coast?

I'd go Dover -> Tilbury -> Northallerton -> Alston -> Ayr. Then island hop/follow the coast the rest of the way.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Tigerbiten wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

I'd go Dover -> Tilbury -> Northallerton -> Alston -> Ayr. Then island hop/follow the coast the rest of the way.

If you're using the Tlibury ferry it doesnt operate on Sundays. So I discovered. Good luck sounds like a great trip.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

One JOGLE, really enjoyed it. A mate wants to do it unsupported next year, but can't get approval from SWMBO unless he has a partner in crime, so I've said I'll do it with him, 10 days (again) camping primarily, with possibly a couple of hostel stops.
I retire in 3 years and 5 months (not that I'm counting :D) and plan to do a home (Somerset) LEJOG home, again unsupported, camping/hostels with no time limits! However, I have yet to tell the wife :wink:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Tizme wrote:One JOGLE, really enjoyed it. A mate wants to do it unsupported next year, but can't get approval from SWMBO unless he has a partner in crime, so I've said I'll do it with him, 10 days (again) camping primarily, with possibly a couple of hostel stops.
I retire in 3 years and 5 months (not that I'm counting :D) and plan to do a home (Somerset) LEJOG home, again unsupported, camping/hostels with no time limits! However, I have yet to tell the wife :wink:

Yes without time limits it's much more fun. You can pick and choose your route and visit places of interest. I had to think about SWMBO :lol: I'm retired and live alone I cant imagine what it must be like now having to take someone else into account.
southdownswolf

Post by southdownswolf »

Did JOGLE for the first time last year and when I got to LE I wished I could turn around and go back again. The family wouldn't let me though... :wink:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

southdownswolf wrote:Did JOGLE for the first time last year and when I got to LE I wished I could turn around and go back again. The family wouldn't let me though... :wink:

Shame you couldnt. It's twice the fun!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

southdownswolf wrote:Did JOGLE for the first time last year and when I got to LE I wished I could turn around and go back again. The family wouldn't let me though... :wink:
My first time was in 1994 JOGLE, and I felt I could just have turned round and pedalled back to JOG! By the time I got to LE, I felt so elated and strong, it would have been easy.

2006 ............. and I decided I'd do a LEJOG, but the transport problems got up my nose, so knowing what I knew, I decided to LEJOG and Back to LE.

I was given a lift to LE, and off I went. Ten and a half days later it was lunchtime at JOG and I was full of beans and full of energy, and I turned round and headed south.
The trouble was, the heatwave that had followed me north, hit me full in the face heading south. 1,000miles came north of Inverness, and I was flying along! :D

I bonked by the time I made it to Carlisle. I had 100miles to do the next day and couldn't cope, so I did a 50, then another 50 the following day. That made me a day late. Accommodation was re-arranged ............and I went on.

By the time I made it to LE, I was awfully worn out and knackered.

1,788.97miles in three weeks.

Land’s End to John O’Groats
Total Time 87 hours 6 minutes
Mileage 891.44
In the Saddle 68 hours 58 minutes
Overall Av Speed 10.25mph

John O'Groats to Land's End
Total Time 94 hours 25 minutes
Mileage 897.53
In the Saddle 73 hours 17 minutes
Overall Av Sp 9.5mph

Land's End to John O'Groats to Land's End
Total Time 181 hours 31 minutes
Mileage 1788.97
In the Saddle 142 hours 15 minutes
Overall Av Sp 9.86mph

http://lejogandback.blogspot.co.uk/
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:
My first time was in 1994 JOGLE, and I felt I could just have turned round and pedalled back to JOG! By the time I got to LE, I felt so elated and strong, it would have been easy.

2006 ............. and I decided I'd do a LEJOG, but the transport problems got up my nose, so knowing what I knew, I decided to LEJOG and Back to LE.

I was given a lift to LE, and off I went. Ten and a half days later it was lunchtime at JOG and I was full of beans and full of energy, and I turned round and headed south.
The trouble was, the heatwave that had followed me north, hit me full in the face heading south. 1,000miles came north of Inverness, and I was flying along! :D

I bonked by the time I made it to Carlisle. I had 100miles to do the next day and couldn't cope, so I did a 50, then another 50 the following day. That made me a day late. Accommodation was re-arranged ............and I went on.

By the time I made it to LE, I was awfully worn out and knackered.

1,788.97miles in three weeks.

Land’s End to John O’Groats
Total Time 87 hours 6 minutes
Mileage 891.44
In the Saddle 68 hours 58 minutes
Overall Av Speed 10.25mph

John O'Groats to Land's End
Total Time 94 hours 25 minutes
Mileage 897.53
In the Saddle 73 hours 17 minutes
Overall Av Sp 9.5mph

Land's End to John O'Groats to Land's End
Total Time 181 hours 31 minutes
Mileage 1788.97
In the Saddle 142 hours 15 minutes
Overall Av Sp 9.86mph

http://lejogandback.blogspot.co.uk/

That's actually pretty good going Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks!

If I was going to do an End2End again, I do the double again ........ but take four weeks and not three. :oops:

What I didn't do, was take a day off each way. Every day, I rode my bike, and most days I did an average of 80miles - fully loaded and unsupported. Had I taken a day off each way, I'd have stayed on schedule.

Better to take two days off each way though!
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:Thanks!

If I was going to do an End2End again, I do the double again ........ but take four weeks and not three. :oops:

What I didn't do, was take a day off each way. Every day, I rode my bike, and most days I did an average of 80miles - fully loaded and unsupported. Had I taken a day off each way, I'd have stayed on schedule.

Better to take two days off each way though!

Crumbs that a high daily mileage. I reckon on six weeks both ways with two days off. Not just because I'm no good at speed but it's fun to take your time.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, taking your time is good, but people only have so much time available.
It's the expense as well in all the accommodation. Wild camping may be cheap but it's not to everyone's taste. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:Yes, taking your time is good, but people only have so much time available.
It's the expense as well in all the accommodation. Wild camping may be cheap but it's not to everyone's taste. :wink:

Yes I forget I'm retired sometimes. Time isnt a problem. On my last tour I booked well in advance and got some really cheap deals, like half price, at hotels. I'm too old for the camping business :cry:

Almost certainly I'll do it both ways again next year. Might even do the coastal tour the other way round. Magic ride.