How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bikepacker

Re: How many times has anyone done the E2E. No fibbing.

Post by bikepacker »

Mick F wrote:Yes, taking your time is good, but people only have so much time available.
It's the expense as well in all the accommodation. Wild camping may be cheap but it's not to everyone's taste. :wink:

Mick. What you should do is what I am thinking of doing. Start from home go to LE then visit all the compass points (Lizard, Lowestoft. Ardnamurchan and Dunnet Head) on the mainland before getting to JOG. The cycle home. I reckon it will take me about 5 to 6 weeks steady riding.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
albal1

Post by albal1 »

1 x JOGLE
1 X LEJOG (started in Gib tho'!)

Will do e2e2e next time. Loved it.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Once, among friends, in 2003.

Would really like to do a solo ride and fancy a 14-day schedule and a 7-day schedule.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Spinners wrote:Once, among friends, in 2003.

Would really like to do a solo ride and fancy a 14-day schedule and a 7-day schedule.

How can you do both?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

ukdodger wrote:

How can you do both?

Er, do one and then do the other one at a different time :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Spinners wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

How can you do both?

Er, do one and then do the other one at a different time :wink:

Why not do it 14 up and 7 back on the same tour. Thinking about it 7 up and 14 back.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

A seriously cool idea but one that will have to wait until retirement or redundancy!!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Spinners wrote:A seriously cool idea but one that will have to wait until retirement or redundancy!!

If you can do it in 7 days that's seriously good. I've heard of it being done in nine days but nothing faster (except for Gethin Butler who did it in two.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Race Against Time riders were doing it in five days up to a few years ago.
I drove one of the support vehicles in May 2007.

Left LE at 6am and the first night in Bristol.
6am start again, and finish at Chester.
6am again, finish at Moffat.
Dead early again, finish at Kingussie.
The seven riders all made it to JOG by 10pm........... but they were absolutely knackered.
Mick F. Cornwall
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

ukdodger wrote:If you can do it in 7 days that's seriously good. I've heard of it being done in nine days but nothing faster (except for Gethin Butler who did it in two.)

:?:

there are lots of posts on here from people doing the ride in less than 9 days. I've just finished watching the LEJOG DVD that Mick F was involved in, and the two guys on that finished the ride in 7 days.

Though I agree it is impressive to be able to do it that quickly :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did you enjoy it?
It was all done very ad lib and I didn't have a great deal of preparation time. :oops:

Simon and Trevor did well. They did it in seven days but they were fully supported by Graham (the camera man and director/producer!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lands-End-John- ... B002K9560I

I like the bit where the dietician is talking about a healthy diet and a square meal, but finishes up with the quip (I paraphrase here) about all the calories that will be consumed riding End2End on the bikes, so it doesn't matter too much what you eat! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

When I did the JoGLE - I got the train to Inverness and decided to ride up to JoG (camping at Dunbeath) rather than star at JoG. I soon caught up with two Geordie lads who were on their last day of LEJoG, supported, in 6 days (it might have even been 5?!) and they were absolutely shattered. One of them had competed the trip a few times before the other was a first timer and struggling with injury, probably induced by the very long days' cycling.

I was fresh and suffering with 'first-day' syndrome i.e. going too fast and too strong for a longer trip. There was a northerly wind and they asked me if they could draft me for a short while to aid recovery. I gladly assisted and had a conversation with them as much as the road and cycling positions allowed. They carried only water and puncture kits and said they wouldn't want to do it the way I was doing it - with luggage and tent - and I said I doubt I could manage the 180+ mile days they were doing. After about 15 - 20 miles they were struggling to keep up when they met up with their support man and offered me tea and snacks, but I decided to continue. As I was half way up the hill at Berridale they overtook me in a buoyant mood and the more experienced cyclist told me his mate at OD'd on the pain killers to get him through and now they were both buzzing with only about 30 miles or so to go. I increased my speed but couldn't keep up with them and finally reached the campsite at Dunbeath recognizing that I had pushed it far too hard on the first day. However, I really tip my hat to them for a physical achievement I probably wouldn't want to undertake.

I think it could become addictive, but once it's been done there are many other challenging ways or scenic ways to complete it and I think these are more interesting - including Mick F completing it on a Raleigh Chopper to name but a few!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

phil parker wrote:When I did the JoGLE - I got the train to Inverness and decided to ride up to JoG (camping at Dunbeath) rather than star at JoG. I soon caught up with two Geordie lads who were on their last day of LEJoG, supported, in 6 days (it might have even been 5?!) and they were absolutely shattered. One of them had competed the trip a few times before the other was a first timer and struggling with injury, probably induced by the very long days' cycling.

I was fresh and suffering with 'first-day' syndrome i.e. going too fast and too strong for a longer trip. There was a northerly wind and they asked me if they could draft me for a short while to aid recovery. I gladly assisted and had a conversation with them as much as the road and cycling positions allowed. They carried only water and puncture kits and said they wouldn't want to do it the way I was doing it - with luggage and tent - and I said I doubt I could manage the 180+ mile days they were doing. After about 15 - 20 miles they were struggling to keep up when they met up with their support man and offered me tea and snacks, but I decided to continue. As I was half way up the hill at Berridale they overtook me in a buoyant mood and the more experienced cyclist told me his mate at OD'd on the pain killers to get him through and now they were both buzzing with only about 30 miles or so to go. I increased my speed but couldn't keep up with them and finally reached the campsite at Dunbeath recognizing that I had pushed it far too hard on the first day. However, I really tip my hat to them for a physical achievement I probably wouldn't want to undertake.

I think it could become addictive, but once it's been done there are many other challenging ways or scenic ways to complete it and I think these are more interesting - including Mick F completing it on a Raleigh Chopper to name but a few!

I suspect Mick wont be doing the Chopper thing again. But it is an addictive ride. I'll be doing it again for sure.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Mick F wrote:Did you enjoy it?
It was all done very ad lib and I didn't have a great deal of preparation time. :oops:

Simon and Trevor did well. They did it in seven days but they were fully supported by Graham (the camera man and director/producer!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lands-End-John- ... B002K9560I

I like the bit where the dietician is talking about a healthy diet and a square meal, but finishes up with the quip (I paraphrase here) about all the calories that will be consumed riding End2End on the bikes, so it doesn't matter too much what you eat! :lol:

Yes - I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it very useful. I thought it was very professionally made - it certainly doesn't seem rushed or ad-libbed. I actually bought the DVD when it first came out in preparation for our 2011 LEJOG. I've watched it a coupe of times since - this latest time for some inspiration as I start to plan my next LEJOG. Highly recommended to anyone thinking of doing the trip
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Nice one Gavin!

I joined in with Simon and Trevor just west of Launceston and rode with them up the Old A30 to their first night at the Travel Lodge at Sourton (near Okehampton). We stopped a couple of times and we did an ad hoc interview or two but the continuity didn't work too well so they were missed out.

From Sourton, I rode home, and they left the following morning (Sunday) very early and went on the A30 dual carriageway all the way to Exeter. I'd given them directions to use the Old A30, but as it was so quiet, they whizzed up the dual carriageway instead.
Mick F. Cornwall