Penzance train disruption for LEJoGers?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
toontra

Penzance train disruption for LEJoGers?

Post by toontra »

Presumably the trainline being washed away at Dawlish is going to have a serious impact on those trying to get their bike to/from Land's End in the near future, apart from the devastating effect on those living and working in Cornwall in general.

I heard one estimate of 6 weeks to get it back up and running, which would mean the end of March - presumably not too many LEJoGs start before then. But if there is more damage, or the existing damage is worse than expected, i suppose this could drag on into April or May.

Is there an alternative rail line to Penzance that trains could be diverted onto in the meantime?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Penzance train disruption for LEJoGers?

Post by Mick F »

Nope.
BIG problems!

National Rail haven't yet surveyed the damage and at this present moment, they are trying to stop any further erosion. Until the damage is assessed, there ain't no way they can know how long it will take to re-instate the line.

They say six weeks, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet it will be double that.

Here's a schematic diagram of the SW.
With Dawlish out, the S Devon and Cornish people are without a link out.
Cornwall and Devon.png
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

toontra wrote:Presumably the trainline being washed away at Dawlish is going to have a serious impact on those trying to get their bike to/from Land's End in the near future, apart from the devastating effect on those living and working in Cornwall in general.

I heard one estimate of 6 weeks to get it back up and running, which would mean the end of March - presumably not too many LEJoGs start before then. But if there is more damage, or the existing damage is worse than expected, i suppose this could drag on into April or May.

Is there an alternative rail line to Penzance that trains could be diverted onto in the meantime?

Don't think so .... and 6 weeks to fix it seems very optimistic to me ..... presumably if there's rolling stock on the beyond Dawlish section they could do some sort of link by road across the gap to then shuttle the trains back and forth to Penzance ... but unlikely to be cycle friendly

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

robgul wrote:Don't think so .... and 6 weeks to fix it seems very optimistic to me ..... presumably if there's rolling stock on the beyond Dawlish section they could do some sort of link by road across the gap to then shuttle the trains back and forth to Penzance ... but unlikely to be cycle friendly

Once they know how long it's going to take to fix they could transport some carriages and trains across by road but more likely they'll put on bus replacements for the whole of Cornwall - usually this means no bikes!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At the moment, the trains run Penzance/Plymouth and then Taunton/London etc.
75mile bus trip up and down the A38/M5

On the news earlier, it is expected the outage could be for MONTHS and not weeks.
Another big storm is expected on Friday and again on Saturday.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mark1978 wrote:Once they know how long it's going to take to fix they could transport some carriages and trains across by road but more likely they'll put on bus replacements for the whole of Cornwall - usually this means no bikes!

There should be most of the rolling stock based at Laira (near Plymouth) and Long Rock (near Penzance) depots. So it's no surprise that they're saying:
https://mobile.twitter.com/FGW/status/431410052629790720?p=v wrote:Trains in Cornwall are trying to run as close to the normal timetable as possible - albeit there's an increased risk of delay. Eli

The bus link will be a problem for bikes. Best case will be a lumpy 18 mile bike ride Exeter to Newton Abbot if they start some exceptional NA-Plymouth shuttle rail service. Worst will be 45 miles on the former A38 if they use buses for the whole section.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I know Beeching is to blame but can't understand why there isn't an alternative route from Plymouth to Exter/Tiverton. I guess we're lucky that Brunel's engineering has lasted so well and our reliance on the one line has been so great. From pictures of the railway line there weren't no defences from the sea adjacent to the railway line, perhaps when the line is rebuilt some should be put in place.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At the moment, NA isn't accessible by train.
They terminate at Plymouth and Exeter.
Screen shot 2014-02-06 at 14.02.46.png

If the shuttle bus system carries on, it will only be from Plymouth and Exeter, as I don't think there's enough space for loadsa busses in NA.

Exeter to Plymouth is a reasonable ride and you don't need to touch the A38.

PS:
You can get to NA now.
Just checked.
However, if coming from up-country, you'll be taken to Plymouth by bus.

I suppose you could get a ticket to Exeter, then another from NA to Penzance and make your own way between.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Redvee wrote:I know Beeching is to blame but can't understand why there isn't an alternative route from Plymouth to Exter/Tiverton. I guess we're lucky that Brunel's engineering has lasted so well and our reliance on the one line has been so great. From pictures of the railway line there weren't no defences from the sea adjacent to the railway line, perhaps when the line is rebuilt some should be put in place.

From memory, I'm think there was a wall, a promenade, another wall and some small defences at the foot of that (rocks, groynes and so on) - but I'm not sure if that was the bit that collapsed. How many defences could there be before you're trying to build stuff in the sea?

I think either the rest of the former Devon and Cornwall Railway west of Okehampton or a new route should be opened and if needs be, HS2 should be postponed to free up funding for it. It seems strange to be building a fourth London-Birmingham route while Cornwall and west Devon are hanging on by a coastline. That, west of Llanelli and north of Inverness look the most vulnerable parts of the network. The Fen Line also looks pretty precarious to me, but I'm biased. Most branches to the coast are vulnerable too, but they're branches so it's hard to avoid.

At least we can't blame the politicians for inaction. It's not like anyone forecast the Dawlish strategic problem more than eight years ago, is it? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4382200.stm
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

mjr wrote:From memory, I'm think there was a wall, a promenade, another wall and some small defences at the foot of that (rocks, groynes and so on) - but I'm not sure if that was the bit that collapsed. How many defences could there be before you're trying to build stuff in the sea?

There are parts of that stretch of railway that has a promenade between the rail line and the sea but the section that suffered hasn't. Strangely there's been no mention of the Dawlish black swans.
LindaB

Post by LindaB »

So appreciate reading the local opinions on the flooding and train problems. Four of us are planning to take the train from London to Penzance on June 7th, but now not so sure this will be possible; I'll be following closely what you have to say! We have most of our hotels booked, and will find a way to get to the start somehow. My sympathies to those immediately affected by these tremendous storms.
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi linda
we used these a few times getting back from Scotland on a one way hire http://www.europcar.co.uk/ just an option for you ... :D

larry
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Notwork Rail say they'll have Dawlish fixed by April... So call it May if the weather's kind...

I note they didn't say which year :twisted:
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

According to the BBC News it looks like it will be open before Easter, ahead of schedule.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26433185
LindaB

Post by LindaB »

This is great news... wonder when cycle reservations will open up again (I've been checking eastcoast web site)??