Accomodation near Loch Lomond

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ferrit worrier

Accomodation near Loch Lomond

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Guys

I'm looking for accommodation near Loch Lomond in September. Loch Lomond SYHA is closed, :( something along the A82 corridor between Arden and Luss / Inverbeg. I've been searching on the net but get frustrated with the way these booking websites work. I found one place that looked nice, put the dates in and it took me somewhere completely different at megga money with totally different dates :evil: Cheap cheerful and a good breakfast :D

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Accomodation near Loch Lomond

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
1982 I walked the west hilland way at christmas :? Camped on the track N East of loch in snow as was woken at 2.00 by new years revelers :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you scroll right in on Google Maps then hotels, B&B and campsite are shown.
That how I find campsites on my tours nowadays.

From there try ........
Darroch House Bed & Breakfast
Luss Loch Lomond
01436 860656
Doesn't look as they've on-line booking.

Hope that helps.
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi ferrit worrier
this might be of use to you http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/a ... index.html
irc

Post by irc »

I'd suggest Balloch. Tripadviser has 23 B&Bs. Only a mile short of the old SYHA. The choice further north on the A82 is much more limited. Balloch will have more choice for evening meals as well.

Just make sure the place has secure bike parking. I wouldn't lock my bike in a street or garden in Balloch overnight. Heading for Balloch from Dumbarton the A814/A812/B857 is both flatter and more cycle friendly than the A82 which is a fast 70mph dual carriageway at that point.

But the Luss suggestion is good if you can get somewhere. Nice village right on the loch.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Rowardennan Youth Hostel? If you need to get across the loch to the A82 there is a ferry http://www.cruiselochlomond.co.uk/ferri ... nan-ferry/
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

We stopped in the Rawardennan SYH having crossed on the ferry from Tarbet. I think it sailed about 4.30pm & they were VERY accommodating. The YH is very comfortable, and old hunting lodge, & there's a pub down the road that does reasonable food.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

ferrit worrier wrote:Hi Guys

I'm looking for accommodation near Loch Lomond in September. Loch Lomond SYHA is closed, :( something along the A82 corridor between Arden and Luss / Inverbeg. I've been searching on the net but get frustrated with the way these booking websites work. I found one place that looked nice, put the dates in and it took me somewhere completely different at megga money with totally different dates :evil: Cheap cheerful and a good breakfast :D

Malc

I don't want to put a spanner in your works but the A 82 is an awful Road to cycle on!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Nanook wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:Hi Guys

Malc

I don't want to put a spanner in your works but the A 82 is an awful Road to cycle on!

No Problem, but thanks for your concern, I'm used to busy roads, it's ok if you keep your ears open for what's coming up behind, even the logging wagons aren't too bad. The worst bit I think is just around the top of the Loch after you turn right at Tarbet, rock wall on you left and not much room, but there are a few places you can pull over and let the traffic past.... keeps 'em happy and saves them getting irritated.

I might miss the last ferry for Rowardennan as I'm coming up from Moffat so it'll be a long day.

Malc
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

If you're heading Northwards, alter your route to head up the east side of Loch Lomond, then get the morning ferry across to Tarbet and continue North on the A82. We were heading south, thus catching the last ferry. Rowardennan Lodge is at the end of the road on the East side of the Loch, the B837 out of Drymen. Should be a bit easier for you as you are approaching from the South East.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
barneybear69

Post by barneybear69 »

Although I didn't use it when I did my www.nigelend2end.co.uk I used http://www.greatglenhostel.com/ last year when I paddled the Caledonian Canal.
2016 Mallorca touring htttp://www.mallorcacycletouring.co.uk

2011 Lands End to John O'Groats http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper C2C http://purplechopper.co.uk

Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Restored Raleigh Chopper MK2 (1974)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ferrit worrier wrote:I'm looking for accommodation near Loch Lomond in September ...............
If you could get in your Tardis and go back to 1983/4/5, you could call in at us in Balloch!
90, Woodbank Gardens.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=90+Woo ... m&t=m&z=16
Strictly speaking, it was Alexandria, but it was only a hundred yards from the Balloch roundabout and the A82 went past our back garden. We would have cheerfully put you up! :D

Seriously though, Balloch is a good place to stop. Loadsa B+Bs and there's a couple of hotels - Balloch Hotel was always a good 'un.
Balloch is a bit of a tourist destination with a railway terminus down by the loch where folk come up from Glasgow to take a trip on the loch or picnic in the park.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:I'm looking for accommodation near Loch Lomond in September ...............
If you could get in your Tardis and go back to 1983/4/5, you could call in at us in Balloch!
90, Woodbank Gardens.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=90+Woo ... m&t=m&z=16
Strictly speaking, it was Alexandria, but it was only a hundred yards from the Balloch roundabout and the A82 went past our back garden. We would have cheerfully put you up! :D

Seriously though, Balloch is a good place to stop. Loadsa B+Bs and there's a couple of hotels - Balloch Hotel was always a good 'un.
Balloch is a bit of a tourist destination with a railway terminus down by the loch where folk come up from Glasgow to take a trip on the loch or picnic in the park.

Funny you should mention Alexandria :lol: . Last night I booked myself into Cloudside Bed & Breakfast Overton road Alexandria. So I'm all set, just need to get some miles in now. I'm stopping at the Seaview Hotel in JoG then a ride down to Wick for the Train. I might then stay in Inverness and get the early train the following day. One thing I do want to do is go over the Forth railway bridge so I'll have to pick an Edinburgh train. :wink:

must have a look at Google Earth. I don't think Overton Road is far from where you were?

Malc

edited

just down the road, eeee it's a small world in't it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Clo ... d6af?hl=en
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, small world!
Overton Rd is just round the corner from where the girls went to school - Christy Park.
We used to go shopping in The Vale - the Vale of Leven - Alexandria - at Fine Fare and the shopping precinct. We had an account at Clydesdale Bank across the Renton road. Later, when they opened a Presto supermarket in Dumbarton, we thought our birthdays had come!

I worked at Clyde Submarine Base over Black Hill and cycled 14miles each way - along Lomondside, then left at Arden and through Crosskeys over the top and down into Helensburgh then right to follow Clydeside and the shores of Gare Loch. I was rained on from September to Christmas, then snowed on, then rained on until the spring! :lol:

It was an expensive time for us up there. It's difficult to believe but Mrs Mick F was in tears in Tesco in Plymouth when we moved back south. The costs up there were horrendous and we were on the bones of our wotsits.

Summers were short but good. We had happy times there, and the girls would speak "Scottish" with their playmates at school and outside locally, but "normal" with us. Neither of them can remember their Scottish accents now. :lol: We would picnic on the shore of Loch Lomond at Duck Bay, and the summer of 1984 was very dry so the loch was low making a good big beach. The place was packed at the weekends that year.

Happy times. :D
Mick F. Cornwall