Sunday couriers? or other transport options

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Niki

Sunday couriers? or other transport options

Postby Niki » 14 Apr 2014, 3:30am

I'm struggling to find a way to get my bike to Scotland to start my JOGLE. Time is my issue. I'm flying in from Australia on a Saturday evening, with the aim being to travel to JOG on the Monday and start the ride on the Tuesday. Train connections from Coventry to Wick are possible, but it means getting in to Wick at 9.45pm, with the journey to JOG then to follow. Ideally I'd like to fly up, but there's no guaranteed bookings for bikes, and I don't want to risk standby.

Ideally I'm looking at couriering the bike on Sunday, then flying up on Monday and meeting the bike there. But it's a struggle to find anyone who operates on a Sunday. Any suggestions? Or other alternatives? I'm reasonably time poor, so would like to avoid pushing the start date back to the Wednesday if at all possible.

Any suggestions would be fantastic :)

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Sunday couriers? or other transport options

Postby Mick F » 14 Apr 2014, 9:17am

Welcome to the forum! :D

Suggest you get the train and stay overnight in Wick.
Following morning, ride to JOG and back to Wick, then stay overnight again at the same place. That way, you can keep your room and leave your luggage there.

Next morning, head south.

This is what I did in 2010 stopping at Carey's Guest House for the two nights.
http://wicktown.co.uk/about/where-to-st ... uest-house
Mick F. Cornwall

vernon

Postby vernon » 14 Apr 2014, 9:01pm

A tip or two if considering rail travel to Wick - check that there's bike space on the train from Inverness to Wick this is usually the stumbling point for any planned train journey to Wick or Thurso.. Split the booking of the journey at Inverness. A Wick single from Leeds is £179 whereas a Leeds to Inverness ticket is £39 and an Inverness to Wick single is £12. Quite a saving.

Niki

Postby Niki » 15 Apr 2014, 12:17am

Good suggestion, thanks. and, yes, I know the train space can be an issue so will be sure to look into it.