Callander to Fort William

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
storksb

Callander to Fort William

Post by storksb »

Anyone ever done LEJOG by dissecting Glasgow and Edinburgh and going up the middle and then over to Fort William. I am planning to go from Biggar to Callander and then on to Fort William. Any thoughts good, bad or in between more than welcome.

Biggar to Callander http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4195175

Callander to Fort William http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4223956

Thanks

Simon
My blog for my upcoming June 2014 LEJOG can be found here http://stork-lejog.blogspot.com/

Twitter ID : @storksb
nosmarbaj

Re: Callander to Fort William

Post by nosmarbaj »

I have done the Falkirk - FW bit, a few years ago.

I don't remember much about Falkirk to Stirling, so I suspect it was unremarkable. Stirling to Crianlarich via Callander is pleasant riding through rolling countryside, becoming more mountainous from Killin onwards. From Crianlarich the A82 has some fast traffic, but by and large the road is wide enough and sight-lines good enough that there's no problem and you can enjoy the scenery. (Traffic density is very variable, it will be especially busy Friday and Sunday evenings). Down through Glencoe it's more twisty but I don't remember any particular problems (and the landscape is spectacular). From Ballachulish Bridge to FW is the worst bit, as there tends to be a lot of traffic, including many tour coaches and some HGVs, all apparently in a hurry, and the road has a lot of bends and is not generally quite wide enough for safe overtaking - I've cycled this bit a few times, it's tolerable if you keep your wits about you, but it's not enjoyable.

I see you're passing the Falkirk Wheel - it's well worth taking some time out if you can, and going on one of the trips up the Wheel and back again.

Enjoy you trip!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Your route from Callander to Fort William looks to be very similar to the route we took in 2010 – A84 ,A85 to Crianlarich then A82 across Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe. I notice you are using the off road alternative up Strathyre and Glen Ogle to Lix Tol. I've no experience of this. To be honest we found the road option to be fine with a fairly steady gradient up to Lochearnhead and then a steady pull from there up to Lix Tol. The A85 from Lix Tol to Crianlarich had been “resurfaced” at some time (chippings on top of tar) and was awful on 23mm tyres. It may have improved since 2010. Many Lejogers, I know, avoid the A82 across Rannoch Moor. Timing is important. At the height of the season it can be quite busy especially at week-ends. I did have a plan B, from Tyndrum to Connel bridge on the A85 and then north on the A 828 to the bridge at Ballachulish but its about 20 miles longer.

I can't comment on your route to Callander. Have you got accommodation booked at Biggar?
Our route from Carlisle and Gretna followed the B7076 (the old A74) to Happenden and then cut across country to Lanark (accommodation New Lanark YH). We then took minor roads to Kilsyth via Shotts and Airdree. From Kilsyth a long climb took us into the Carron valley, where we headed west alongside the reservoir to Fintry, then north via Lake of Montieth to Callander. It's a route that I would recommend to anyone wanting to avoid Glasgow. From Kilsyth onwards the roads were very quiet with good scenery.

Another advantage of the Callander route is that it would also be possible to head east from Lix Tol along the shores of Loch Tay towards Pitlochry and pick up the old A9 route. I'm thinking of doing LEJOG again next year and may well try this option.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

storksb wrote:Anyone ever done LEJOG by dissecting Glasgow and Edinburgh and going up the middle and then over to Fort William.
Playing Devil's Advocate here ...........
Why go that way?

If you want to tour Scotland, go there and ride where you fancy. This is Highly Recommended. :D

Most folk either cross the Forth over the FRB, or cross the Clyde in Glasgow or Erskine on their way to JOG.

No complaints from me going via Callender BTW. Lovely route, I just wonder why you're wanting to go that way on an End2End.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

nosmarbaj wrote

From Ballachulish Bridge to FW is the worst bit

That just goes to show how opinions can vary.

We had no problems with this section. Of course that may have been due to the fact that by then the sun had come out, whereas Rannoch Moor had been into horizontal rain and the downhill descent of Glen Coe was into a headwind that required pedalling all the way.

You could take the ferry across The Corran Narrows and proceed on the other side of the loch (A861) but you need to check the timetable of the Camusnagaul Ferry to avoid being stranded on the wrong side.

http://status.calmac.info/Timetables/summer-camusnagaul--camusnagaul-fort-william.pdf

It's a long ride round via Loch Eil at the end of a long day.

Incidentally, if you're heading up the Great Glen, from Fort Augustus, I'd recommend the old General Wade Military Road on the south side of Loch Ness. A bit of climbing to begin with but spectacular views and very quiet.

MickF wrote

No complaints from me going via Callender BTW. Lovely route, I just wonder why you're wanting to go that way on an End2End.

Well, a lot of people take the Arran route to avoid Glasgow and the Callander option is just another way of achieving this. Also in my case I stayed overnight with a friend in Balfron.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, the Aran route is a good one, but ...............

You can avoid Glasgow by going over the Forth Bridge instead.
As far as I'm concerned, the whole of the A82 is best avoided too.
Mick F. Cornwall
storksb

Post by storksb »

Thanks to all who responded.

With my route from Biggar to Fort William I am intending to bypass the 2 major cities and take in places I have never been to before in Scotland. 20 years ago I worked in Glasgow a lot and drove a lot around there and Edinburgh but never got to either Sterling or Callander. I also wanted to avoid some of the A82 but I am not adverse to riding some of it.

Nosmarbaj: Thanks for the tip on the Falkirk wheel, never heard of it before but is looks really cool, will certainly try and make time for a visit. Here is a link to the official site http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

Norman H.: I am still undecided on taking the off road route instead of the A84 /a85, needs to do some more research on the make up of the surface. Will be on a cyclocross bike with 700 x 28 road tires, so if it looks too rough the road it will be. Still have 10 days before I fly over to the UK so still plenty of time to make a decision.
Looked at the ferry from Camusnagaul and not sure I want to risk missing the last ferry, now if I am making good time I will consider it.
I am planning on The General wade Military road, that steep climb sounds like it is more than worth it for the views afterwards so was always a must.

Mick F: I appreciate the devils advocate, as I said at the top of this post, never been to Sterling or Callander so this gives me the chance. Neither the A9 or A82 are ideal so limiting my exposure to either was part of the plan.

Thanks all,

Simon
My blog for my upcoming June 2014 LEJOG can be found here http://stork-lejog.blogspot.com/

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good answer. :D
We lived in Rosyth for many years (just inside Fife on the other side of the FRB) and we often went shopping in Sterling. Also we often drove to Callender and the Trossachs. Some years later, we lived in Balloch on the shores of Loch Lomond.

Therefore I know the area well.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Not well enough to get the name right - Stirling!

:D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Sorry, I know full well how it's spelled, it must have been a rush of blood to my brain!

Apologies to all the Stirling-ites out there.
Mick F. Cornwall
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Strathyre - Glen Ogle; not been for a year or 3 but the cycle path through there was brilliant..... it keeps left of the road (heading north) and is part of an old railway... excellent cycling, glorious view of the traffic on the road below, and a cracking viaduct.
storksb

Post by storksb »

oldtimer99 wrote:Strathyre - Glen Ogle; not been for a year or 3 but the cycle path through there was brilliant..... it keeps left of the road (heading north) and is part of an old railway... excellent cycling, glorious view of the traffic on the road below, and a cracking viaduct.

Awesome, sounds like the cycle path it is then. The pictures of the viaduct look fantastic that I have seen online, just trying to locate it on the map though has caused me trouble. Guess I'll know when I have got to it.