Time lapse between each stage

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
newbootclimbco

Time lapse between each stage

Post by newbootclimbco »

Just wondered what folk think, if we say we are cycling LEJOG or reverse. Should we ride virtualy every day or is it exceptable to break this route into, Say a few days here and there and gradually complete the total route as and when it suits you. Example, 3 years ago I rode from JOG down to below Edinburgh,and recently I cycled from Dorset to LE then up to Taunton. Are these just tours or can I claim I am cycling LEJOG.Years ago I ran a half marathon, two weeks later I ran another half marathon, but I would never say that I had done a full one. I did LEJOG in 2007 ,16 days riding everyday. I am now getting old [63] but still fancy doing it all again.So people do I start again at LE and go to JOG cycling every day or what ? Thanks T.
eileithyia

Re: Time lapse between each stage

Post by eileithyia »

You can do it anyway you want.... yesterday heard of 2 couples who took several years to complete some long distance footpaths... just by doing them on occasional weekends.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

You could claim the days in between as "rest days"?
I'm doing my first ever tour in mid August. Three days riding from Bolton to my dads in Penmachno, two days irritating the old man and then another three days back to the misery of Bolton. As far as I'm concerned, it's one tour, not two :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Have as many rest days as you like in a tour. I personally wouldn't count several trips a few years apart as a LEJOG ride. Then again you have already done an end to end trip so you have nothing to prove to yourself or others. It sounds like you want to enjoy a good cycling tour, so aim to do just that. If you do end up doing another LEJOG or Taunton-Edinburgh why not go a significantly different route (say along the pennine cycleway or down the east side of the pennines) so that the experience is different to the last time.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Personally I would think if you returned home between each leg then it doesn't count as an end to end, but does that really matter anyway?
defbref

Post by defbref »

Theres no Official route

Theres no Official time to complete it in.

Theres no rules apart from you cycle between one and t'other! Do it how you want.

Personally I would say its leave home > start > finish > return home, the bit between start and finish is up to you.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks for the replies, I was half hoping that I would be told that as long as I get from one end to the other, time didn't matter. So shall probably continue my travels after my [ rest days ] .And yes I have nothing to prove, except to myself, I like to think theres still a fare amount of life left in this old dog. One place I would like to view is Whitby and nearby moors ,so yes again I can include this area in my tour.My only way home really is on the bike, other avenues are just too much trouble. Cheers T.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

newbootclimbco wrote:Thanks for the replies, I was half hoping that I would be told that as long as I get from one end to the other, time didn't matter. So shall probably continue my travels after my [ rest days ] .And yes I have nothing to prove, except to myself, I like to think theres still a fare amount of life left in this old dog. One place I would like to view is Whitby and nearby moors ,so yes again I can include this area in my tour.My only way home really is on the bike, other avenues are just too much trouble. Cheers T.

How you planning on doing it, because if it was like Thurso - Edinburgh, go home for 3 months, Edinburgh - Whitby, go home for 3 months. Then that's quite different than setting out from Thurso and taking a year to complete the trip without going home in the middle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The one thing that some folk have trouble with ...... especially when new to the touring game as many End2Enders are ........ is being away from home day after day and riding many miles day after day. It really means something to them and it is a monumental thing for them to do.

If you had the wherewithall, you could travel to LE and ride to Okehampton, then drive/train home, and give it a week/month, then drive/train back to Okehampton and cycle to Bridgwater, then go home again.....perhaps take a month off. Then get back to Bridgwater and cycle to Church Stretton, then repeat to Preston, repeat to Carlisle ....... etc .......... keep this up, and in a few years, you'd have done LEJOG.

Part - even most - of the enjoyment of an End2End is the progress from one end to the other. You can do it whatever method suits you of course. Whatever floats your boat.

Mrs Mick F and me have chatted about walking LEJOG. We could do most of the SW over a few months and every night sleeping in our own bed just by using two cars. Other than that, we could get to LE and just start walking .........
Mick F. Cornwall
storksb

Post by storksb »

The End2End is purely a personal thing, how each person does it is an individual choice, the point is to go from one point to another and enjoy the journey.

As I was celebrating my 13 day LEJOG yesterday another cyclist arrived at John O'Groats who had taken 5 years to complete the journey. I had to admire his persistence.

Simon
My blog for my upcoming June 2014 LEJOG can be found here http://stork-lejog.blogspot.com/

Twitter ID : @storksb
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

IF I ever consider doing an E2E it would be after retirement and when loads of time, as I would turn it into a tour of the country, taking time to take side trips to places I have either visited previously or still wish to visit, possibly picking up BCQ points along the way.... it would be a very long trip...... doing it over a fortnight holds little interest to me, personally, as to me that is a normal 2 week touring holiday... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
t3racing

Post by t3racing »

The one thing that some folk have trouble with ...... especially when new to the touring game as many End2Enders are ........ is being away from home day after day and riding many miles day after day. It really means something to them and it is a monumental thing for them to do.

We start our first LeJog on the 13th July and cannot wait to be away from home, the past few months have been spent cycling every road and lane around Warwickshire/Leicestershire/Northamptonshire and it will be good to not worry about being home at a certain time or knowing every hill and pot hole around each corner. The idea of unknown roads is the appealing part, much better to face a hill for the first time!