Concerned about Cornwall

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Nanook

Concerned about Cornwall

Post by Nanook »

People I speak to tell me that Cornwall is the hilliest part of LEJOG. I don't mind hills as I'm used to them living in the Highlands of Scotland. Another thing I'm told is that the lanes in Cornwall are narrow and not that easy to cycle. In the route that I've planned I am trying to avoid main roads (especially the dreaded A30) but will this mean I will be hitting big hill after big hill? My route so far is:

Day 1 Land’s End to Wadebridge 67 miles
Land's End - B3315 to Treen – Boskenna – Newlyn – Penzance –
Road to Marazion then B3280 to Leedstown – Praze an Beeble – Four Lanes – Carnkie
Road to Lanner – (cross A393) – Twelveheads - Baldhu - Newbridge
Cross A390 at Threemilestone – Atlet Common – Treworgan – St Allen
Cross A30 to Newlyn East then Trevoll – Kestle Mill and head for St Columb Road – and St Columb Major (avoid the A39)
A39 to Wadebridge.

Is this an OK route or does anyone have local knowledge that will make my life easier?

Cheers, Joe.
PH

Re: Concerned about Cornwall

Post by PH »

Lands End to Penzance, the A30 is fine it doesn't get busy till after.
The rest I don't know, I've only done it once on a very different route, but couldn't say it was any better or worse than any other, though it was fine.
Do you need to do 70 miles on the first day? By the time you've got to LE and done a few photos it's unlikely to be an early start.
My E2E averaged 92 miles a day, yet I took 2 days to go through Cornwall. It's a long ride, ease into it and gain it back as it goes along.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, when most people think about LEJOG they think Scotland will be the worst part for hills and climbing but they haven't experienced Cornwall :D

Lands End to St. Austell (YHA) there was a couple of nasty climbs but St. Austell to Bridgewater was a right swine! In a nutshell, in Cornwall the climbs are short and steep but in Scotland the climbs are longer but far less steep with the exception of the Berriedale Braes :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
juicerail

Post by juicerail »

I'm setting off on a LEJoG next week and like you, wanted to avoid the A30 where possible (personally, if you're going to to LEJoG on main roads you may as well just drive, but that's that my view).

I'm on A30 LE to Penzance as I've heard it is not too bad. From there most of the way is along A-ish roads close to the A30, though I imagine not quite as fast or busy. They look better on google street view! I may or may not go via Newquay, but on the whole my route for day 1 is this (I'm staying at Halfway House, nr Wadebridge)....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.06 ... 489937!3e1

I've cycled across Scotland before Berwick to JOG (central way up Drumochter Pass) but never done a LEJoG. From what I remember of central Scotland and from what people say here, I think on the whole yes the Westcountry will be tougher hill wise. Plus by the time you get to Scotland I imagine you'll be fitter.
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

Thanks for the info Juicerail - I've now changed almost my entire route for Day 1! Yours looks infinitely more straightforward and easier. I'll be starting on Wednesday 28th what day do you plan to start?
juicerail

Post by juicerail »

Changed your route? Funny, I was considering your B road now! :-) I guess they are both as good as each other, and both avoid the A30 which is the key thing!

I'm starting on Tuesday 26th. If need be I can let you know what my first day route is really like and you decide from there?
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

I'm trying to keep away from some of the narrow lanes with those really high banks and hedges on each side. So I'm hoping my change of route will help with that. Time will tell!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys, late to the party here.
Been away on our hols and not been on the forum for over a week.

The latest route idea sounds ok to me, though you'll find it a bit busy in the Newquay area as it's Emmet season.
(Emmet is a Cornish expression for holidaymakers. Emmet is Cornish for ant. They swarm everywhere!)

Cornwall and Devon are the hardest bits of an End2End. Do not underestimate the hills as there aren't any flat bits anywhere! If you choose unclassified roads, they will be narrow and steep. A roads and B roads are easier but busier, but don't be under ant illusion that the unclassified roads will be quiet.

The 'northern route" is the best route. If you head along the southerly side, the hills are far worse, so keep north:
LE, Hayle, Camborne, Redruth, Blackwater, St Columb, Wadebridge, Camelford .... then head for Launceston via Egloskerry. (Keep off the A395 as much as you can.) From Launceston, take the Old A30 to Okehampton, then Copplestone and Crediton and along the lanes nicknamed Rob's Passage to Bickleigh and Tiverton. Follow the A38 as far as you can towards Bristol.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the info. I take it that the A39 from Wadebridge to Camelford is OK?

Cheers,

Joe
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, but no, but yes.
It's an A road, and one of the arterial roads down here, but ok IMHO.

As you approach Wadebridge, go down the Old A39 into the town, cross the old bridge over the River Camel instead of the new bypass. The town is a nice place and an old fashioned sort of town, but the bypass is a bit too modern and way high up and windy over the river.

By taking the old road down into the town, you have to climb up out back out, but I reckon it's better. However, if you're tired and can't be bothered, just stay on the main road and plod on.

The A39 is ok, and I don't think there is much of a viable alternative. Stay on it to Camelford and drop into the town through the traffic lights. Just before, the road goes narrow in Valley Truckle (good name!) and there's a cycle track alongside the road as a refuge. It's a long long long long climb out the other side of Camelford up to nearly 1,000ft where you turn off east onto the A395 at Davidstow near RAF Davidsow Moor (WW2 airfield) ...... is the highest airfield in UK. It is still in use for light aircraft.

Follow the A395 for just a few miles and tun off left via Egloskerry - nice road and very quiet. This will take you to St Stephens just north of Launceston. Down into the town and out on the Old A30 for Okehampton.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

Sounds good Mick. Now what about the A38 (I remember it well from my days in the sixties driving from Birmingham to go climbing in Cornwall!) you suggest to use it as far as I can to Bristol. Is it cycle-friendly?

Cheers,

Joe
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not really, but not bad either.
Again, you can go quieter ways, but it'll be harder.

A38 in Devon and Somerset mirrors the M5 so the heavy traffic is on the motorway.

From Tiverton, take the old road via Blundell's (big private school) and Halberton and Sampford Peverell. You have to use a short stretch of the A361 but as you join the dual carraigeway you immediately are able ride along a layby, then the slip road up to the roundabout. It's a bit busy there over the M5 Junction 27, but you're going straight on onto the A38 at Waterloo Cross.

The A38 is wide and there's some long climbs (though not steep) and some long downhills too. Keep on it to Wellington, and go through the town rather than round it. (Shops cafes, benches, people, services) Pop out the other end onto the A38 again for Taunton. This place is busy and if you stay on the through route, you'll be in heavy traffic. I go that way, and I get a move on and get out of the town asap and onto the A38 for Bridgwater. There is a route along the canal I believe, but I have no experience of it preferring to keep a move on on the roads.

From Bridgwater, keep on the A38 northwards. Turn off through Congresbury. This serves two purposes: the A38 gets busier as you get near Bristol, and there's a big hill (Red Hill) up to Bristol Airport. You could turn off earlier via Weston-Super-Mare to Congresbury if you want a bit of a change and some sea air.

From Congresbury, you're into Bristol. Personally, I head through the city and back onto the A38 for Gloucester and north, but most folk want to go over the Severn Bridge. There are various options to get to the bridge so I'll let others describe them.

Hope that helps.
I've ridden the route I've described many times, the last time only in May this year on my way up to Manchester. I've done it both ways too and could almost follow it blindfold. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

The A38 wouldn't be my choice for Taunton to Bristol. From Robs passage take the main road up through Bickley, through Tiverton to Bampton. Then take the main road through Wiveliscombe to Taunton.

From Taunton, head out to Othery (there's a main road or a lanes option, lanes nicer, main road faster and not that busy). Follow this up to shapwick then head up to Wedmore and into Cheddar. Pick up the Strawberry line to use the tunnel through the Mendips. Then you have a number of options, my preference (even though its a bit longer) is to follow the Strawberry line all the way to Clevedon, then follow the cycle route to Gordano then over the Clifton suspension bridge. Very nice view etc but a bit of a climb up to it at the end.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not my choice, sorry.
Too involved.

I know the roads out that way having ridden them via Street YHA and also Cheddar YHA a few times. Not done the Strawberry Line. The road off the A38 for Othery is a pig of a junction - uphill, on a fast dual carriageway section, having to cross four lanes of fast traffic.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bristo ... 76,,0,6.19

A38 is fine and simple to the Congresbury turn-off IMHO. It get busier as you reach Church Hill though.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yes but you miss that junction by coming up through creech st Michael from Taunton rather than going up the dual carrigeway bit. You could also go up the canal to Bridgwater, which is very nice, but rather a lot of bridges to go under which can be rather narrow.