Bit Bothered about Bristol

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Nanook

Bit Bothered about Bristol

Post by Nanook »

My planned route for Day 4 which includes getting through Bristol is this:

Day 4 West Harptree to Perton/Dormington (jcn B4224/A438) 72 miles (278)
From West Harptree (N) on B3114 to North Widcombe – Chew Magna – Maiden Head
Cross A38 and onto B3130 to Long Ashton and towards Wraxall
Then B3129 towards Leigh Woods and Bristol and B3129 the Clifton Bridge and Queens Road to the A4018 Whiteladies Road which carries on as Westbury Road, Falcondale Road and Passage Road.
Cross over/under M5 onto B4055 Blackhorse Hill – Marshcommon Road
Then A403 Severn Road and M48 Severn Bridge
Into Chepstow then B4228 to St Briavels and Coleford
Right on A4136 to Upper Lydbrook then left onto B4234 – Ruardean –Walford and Ross on Wye.
A449 out of Ross the left onto B4224 to Brockhampton – Fownhope – Mordiford – Perton.

I'm OK with the route overall, but could someone with local knowledge cast an eye over the bit that takes me through Bristol and let me know if it's OK.

Thanks, Joe.
mnichols

Re: Bit Bothered about Bristol

Post by mnichols »

I can help with the first bit and last bit as I cycle these roads ( I live in Bath), but whilst I am familiar with Bristol ( I grew up there) I haven't needed to cycle there for a long time and would generally try to avoid.

Not sure where you are the day before, but if I was doing it again I would probably go east of bristol: say through Bath and Marshfield, or Bradford on Avon and Castle Combe and then cut west through Tockington, Alveston and Aust.

Once your over the bridge your route looks fine. In fact I put a question up in the summer asking for the best route to ross on eye - the route suggested was great - you might be able to find it
Redvee

Re: Bit Bothered about Bristol

Post by Redvee »

Nanook wrote:Then B3129 towards Leigh Woods and Bristol and B3129 the Clifton Bridge and Queens Road to the A4018 Whiteladies Road which carries on as Westbury Road, Falcondale Road and Passage Road.
Cross over/under M5 onto B4055 Blackhorse Hill – Marshcommon Road
Then A403 Severn Road and M48 Severn Bridge

I would turn right after the bridge onto Observatory Road, then Clifton Down then SA onto Ladies Mile. Left onto Stoke Road, right onto Saville Road, right on Parrys Lane then left at the roundabout to bring you onto Westbury/ Falcondale Road. Watch out for the speed camera van on the hill as it's a favoured spot for them.
When on Marsh Common Road cross the international railway line that takes trains to Wales and turn right onto NorthWick Road in Pilning and follow this road till it meets the A403 and keep left on the SUP to Passage Road to get to the bridge.