My LEJOG last June

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
JohnWL

My LEJOG last June

Postby JohnWL » 14 Oct 2014, 12:19am

I completed LEJOG last June. I did it solo and unsupported and frankly without much of a plan nor sufficient training as the intro from my blog says below. I did find it hard at times but I got so much out of it - the people I met, the food and drink, the scenery ( I didn't realise how green and beautiful England Wales and Scotland are ) and particularly how we are so lucky to live in such a historic group of islands.

To anyone thinking of doing it but having doubts I would say get on and do it and asap. Great experience.

And I got a lot of help lurking on this board so thanks to the many of you who post , it was very helpful, especially never having done any cycle touring before.

My blog is here. Sorry it reads newest first - I cannot work out how to reverse the order. I was pleased to do a daily blog as I only set it up a couple of days before I left with no knowledge but I posted daily via my iPhone :

http://www.jlinwoodblog.wordpress.com

And here is the intro :

About me my bike and my trip

One of the first things I thought I must attempt on retirement is to cycle Lands End – John O’Groats. I have commuted by bike to work for exactly 30 years but have no experience of cycle touring except for a couple of days on the South Downs Way many years ago with Phil and Roger ( who groaned as we hit yet another muddy ascent ” ..if this is the South Downs I’d hate to be on The South Ups …).

My training has been limited to a few one off rides and then a couple of weeks ago 3 consecutive days in Scotland. I’ll find out the hard way if this is a) more than enough or b) just about right or c) woefully inadequate ( I have a horrible feeling it will be the latter ).

I have booked my first night’s B&B but nothing beyond that as I really do not know how many miles I can do or will want to do every day. Likewise I have not booked a return rail ticket as I have only a faint idea of when I may finish ( if I do ).

I am also doing this to raise money for South West London Law Centre, a charity I recently became a trustee of. SWLCC last year helped over 10,000 people with social welfare law problems – debt, employment, immigration and housing. It provides a vital service to those who really need it – and I see that need whenever I see housing cases in the county court. So any donations would be very welcome.

My bike is an old Condor Heritage tourer I had custom made to my specs 15 years ago. It has done over 40,000 miles and whilst a bit heavy is like me built more for comfort than speed.

bogmyrtle

Re: My LEJOG last June

Postby bogmyrtle » 15 Oct 2014, 7:54pm

Days 9 & 10 do you mean Carsphairn?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

JohnWL

Re: My LEJOG last June

Postby JohnWL » 15 Oct 2014, 9:43pm

Yes quite right no idea where I got the misspelling from. And I was very pleased to get there.

John