LEJOG cycling partner needed summer 2015

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
wilddavid

LEJOG cycling partner needed summer 2015

Post by wilddavid »

I am aiming to ride LEJOG at some stage during the summer of 2015. I have been a keen cyclist for many years and have wanted to ride LEJOG for some time. Ideally I would like to have a cycling companion to ride with as for me it would make the journey more enjoyable. I would have someone to chat with, as well as helping to plan/enjoy the experience with.
Is there anyone who is in a similar position to me who is considering the ride next summer. I have not yet decided on any final details such as exact month/dates etc. I am an active cyclist who has ridden sportive and audax events for some time. I am a (young at heart) 59 year old male who has been interested and played a range of sports throughout my life. If anyone is interested it would be great to hear from you. I love reading about the LEJOG journeys made on the cycling forum and would hopefully like to complete my own during the summer of 2015. All I need now is someone to ride with me. There must be somebody out there?
AaronR

Re: LEJOG cycling partner needed summer 2015

Post by AaronR »

I'm planning a JOGLE starting May 1st next year, have got my travel from Southampton to JoG booked, and a travelodge booked at Stirling

Been thinking recently that it might be better to have some company, so if you can alter your planned departure time and direction we could possibly team up? I've stopped planning at day 6 because otherwise I'll have it all planned and be itching to leave early, but to date I haven't got any days over 85/90 miles, got a short day of 50 miles leading up to the travelodge stay so that is a "rest" day, campsites picked out, routes have been done so far to avoid busy roads and use NCN routes where I can - aiming to complete it in 12 days (first day of riding is Sunday 3rd May)
rtoebben

Post by rtoebben »

I'm looking at doing a trip next summer (May through July timeframe beating the UK summer vacation period) and working out the details and nothing is firm although I'd like to get travel arrangement by year end. I'm looking at self contained, hostel/motel/B&B's lodging, and spending two weeks plus or minus. I'm a 60 year old US (Atlanta, Georgia) male who's fairly fit. Because I'm not British, I really want to see the "sights" along the way. You can email me at rtoebben@yahoo.com.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Have you considered going with a tour company?
A friend and I did LeJog earlier in the year with Peak Tours. I think the cost compares favourably with a doing your own b&b tour, you get the benefit of riding with others (we had a great group), and the logistics are taken care of leaving you to enjoy the challenge of the cycling. I would also say the route we took was pretty good for sight seeing as well.
wilddavid

Post by wilddavid »

Vitara wrote:Have you considered going with a tour company?
A friend and I did LeJog earlier in the year with Peak Tours. I think the cost compares favourably with a doing your own b&b tour, you get the benefit of riding with others (we had a great group), and the logistics are taken care of leaving you to enjoy the challenge of the cycling. I would also say the route we took was pretty good for sight seeing as well.

Hi, sorry I have not replied earlier, although I have been away from a computer for several days and have not been able to reply to the forum. I have also looked at the various tour companies that cover LeJog, including Peak Tours. Did you find that there were always others to ride with as I feel that I would enjoy the experience more if I was riding with a group/cycling partner. By the way I assume that as the route is pre determined by the company , did you use a Garmin or similar 'mapping' devise incase you were on your own at any time. I have looked at Peak Tours 10 day LeJog which I believe is relatively new to them. The 14 day tour would obviously give more time, though I have yet to decide on the amount of time I want too give to the ride.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Wilddavid
I've done LEJOG three times solo, and each time have spontaneously teamed up with riders I have met on the road, usually for different sections of the adventure. Better still, I have also enjoyed the solo sections of the trip... don't be afraid to go solo, its great fun, and you are certain to meet people sharing the adventure.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

wilddavid wrote:
Vitara wrote:Have you considered going with a tour company?

Hi, sorry I have not replied earlier, although I have been away from a computer for several days and have not been able to reply to the forum. I have also looked at the various tour companies that cover LeJog, including Peak Tours. Did you find that there were always others to ride with as I feel that I would enjoy the experience more if I was riding with a group/cycling partner. By the way I assume that as the route is pre determined by the company , did you use a Garmin or similar 'mapping' devise incase you were on your own at any time. I have looked at Peak Tours 10 day LeJog which I believe is relatively new to them. The 14 day tour would obviously give more time, though I have yet to decide on the amount of time I want too give to the ride.

The 14 day option is a comfortable option for the average rider in my opinion, achievable but still a challenge. With Peak Tours I found we had a really nice mix of people. Your own pace dictates which part of the group you are in but I still found myself riding with different people on different days, on my own once or twice, and at different paces on occasions. The group also concertinas up at brew stops and lunch time. I particularly liked in the evening being able to meet up with others and share our exploits from the day as well as putting the world to rights. You get written route notes (very comprehensive) garmin files and a riding guide who follows at the back of the group.

As the previous poster has said if you did go solo you are also pretty much guaranteed to meet with others heading the same way and that you could team up with, we met several other riders during the course of our trip some of them more than once

Whichever option you go for I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Hi, I am planning a Jogle for end of May 2015, and hope to ride it unsupported in 14 days. If you would like to join me I could rejigger my dates to suit. Get in contact, it would be lovely to have a partner on the journey
rtoebben

Post by rtoebben »

I've decided to just go with a organized paid trip this time. Just seems a lot easier. Thanks,
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Who are you going with? I may be interested
rtoebben

Post by rtoebben »

I decided to do the CTC LEJOG trip that runs May 18 through June 5.