General route query regarding Manchester and the wider area

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thayer19

General route query regarding Manchester and the wider area

Post by thayer19 »

Hi guys

I'm cycling Oban - Bristol (following tour of Hebrides) in June so not technically JOGLE but thought my question would be most relevant here as it concerns typical JOGLE routes.

Basically, I've noticed most routes seem to go through/in between Liverpool and Manchester or generally hugging the coast in this area, essentially mostly always west of Manchester. Looking at maps this area seems really congested/built up and my first thoughts are to do roughly Forest of Bowland out to Peak District and slowly back in to the west of Birmingham. I know this is much longer but it appears to make sense in terms of cycling scenery maybe? Anyway, my question is are there nice cycle routes and places to see (avoiding large urban areas) by going west of manchester and feeding through that area?

I could easily be persuaded to avoid Peak District to be honest, I just initially thought that route as I know nothing really of that west of Manchester and in general it looks built up. Going west of Manchester does obviously have the benefits of being long term west of birmingham easier which looks nicer to cycle?

As I'm looking at the map my rough idea is looking pretty suspect, though I think I mainly had that idea as my knowledge of that area is so poor so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, hopefully I haven't came across incredibly naive and southern in this question (assume I have though).

Cheers

Ian
eileithyia

Re: General route query regarding Manchester and the wider a

Post by eileithyia »

You are right there is a lot of urban stuff west of Manchester but there are routes you can take that minimises it.

Using the Preston Guild Wheel will get you around Preston then you link up on some other routes to get south of Bamber Bridge, Cuerden Valley will take you toward to Chorley but you will end up on the A6

Westhoughton, Leigh and on towards Culcheth will take you around Manchester and across Warburton Bridge (free to cyclists) and some nice lanes toward Knutsford that have been recently re=surfaced.

If you want specifics i can help more.

Which way would you go from the Trough to access Derbyshire?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It ain't simple.
Go east of Manch, and you're into more conurbations.

The good thing about west of Manch is that that there are more rural areas to choose from. You don't have to follow the A49 corridor, you can even go further west. Staying east, you need extra time because to pick out a quieter route needs more miles.

Consider the British Isles.
There are pinch-points for the End2Ender ............. Inverness, bridges over the River Forth or the River Clyde, then Carlisle and Bristol. (You can cross the Severn at Bristol or at Gloucester)
Draw a pencil line between these places, and east of Manch doesn't come into it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Thanks for the information on the roads west of Manchester. I thought that I may be missing some glaringly obvious cycle network that goes right the way through that area, hence my question on this thread. Its good to know it can be done so I'll have a further look into it.

To be honest, I haven't yet really planned how I would get from Bowland into Derbyshire Peak district area, have you cycled this way before?

My planning thus far has been a bit of looking at a map and seeing where looks nice to be honest. I doubt I'm going to actually plan a thorough route, mainly plan the evening before in the tent and before I fully leave get a rough idea of b roads and mileage and then hopefully come across people who mention quiet A roads and predominantly find out roads beforehand and throughout that should be avoided where possible. That's the plan anyway, though it may turn out to be a bit ambitious/disastrous.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not giving direct advice here, but having been brought up in the area, I do have some knowledge.

From Preston, you need to cross the River Ribble.
Major English river and there are only so many crossings that are of any use to you.

Head south towards Leyland, then Eccleston and Wrightington. Then Appley Bridge, Roby Mill and Up Holland.
Billinge, Burtonwood, and cross the next major river - River Mersey - at Warrington.

Easy way is to use the A49 from Preston to Warrington of course, and a route that I would recommend.

You need to aim at Whitchurch. A49 is the easiest way, but you can find quieter routes via Northwich and Nantwich area maybe.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think there's a decent case for a cyclist with the spare time and inclination to take the scenic route by following a central route over the Pennines a la NCN68 the Pennine Cycleway and indeed if I ever do LEJOG that will be my choice. However, as Mick says it is far from an efficient route. For what you have in mind I don't think there's a convenient north/south route to the East of Manchester but the West of the Pennines. Bowland is nice though.