Caledonian Sleeper

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
maxlatimer

Re: Caledonian Sleeper

Post by maxlatimer »

sarahcycles wrote:I recently used the Caledonian Sleeper at the end of my LEJOG to get from Inverness to London and had a brilliant experience. I booked a normal seat for £34 (assuming I would be so tired after LEJOG that I wouldn't care where I slept - I was right!). Possibly because I booked during the switchover from ScotRail, they somehow overbooked bike spaces on the train however, they arranged for a courier service to drive my bike all the way to London for me! Cannot fault their customer service, super friendly and would definitely use again!

Good afternoon all!
I've just booked in on the Caledonian Sleeper to do the NC500.... Can anyone send some more light on the courier service? Do you have to break your bike down at all?

I'd really appreciate your help on this :D

Best,

Max
robgul

Post by robgul »

maxlatimer wrote:
sarahcycles wrote:I recently used the Caledonian Sleeper at the end of my LEJOG to get from Inverness to London and had a brilliant experience. I booked a normal seat for £34 (assuming I would be so tired after LEJOG that I wouldn't care where I slept - I was right!). Possibly because I booked during the switchover from ScotRail, they somehow overbooked bike spaces on the train however, they arranged for a courier service to drive my bike all the way to London for me! Cannot fault their customer service, super friendly and would definitely use again!

Good afternoon all!
I've just booked in on the Caledonian Sleeper to do the NC500.... Can anyone send some more light on the courier service? Do you have to break your bike down at all?

I'd really appreciate your help on this :D

Best,

Max

From a couple of friends that had their bikes taken to Euston by van - no, you just give them the bike in one piece.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I was wondering if there is any floor space on the train somewhere where I can put down my Thermarest for the night ?
I've done this on ferries to france to save £'s on te cabin fee. wasn't a problem , but obviously there could be a space issue .

Also , about the alternative bike transport. Are the bikes available to pick up when you get off the train ?
MattH

Post by MattH »

bikerwaser wrote:
Also , about the alternative bike transport. Are the bikes available to pick up when you get off the train ?

They are supposed to be however this morning the bikes were just over an hour late due to traffic.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Used a dozen times ......Never had to pack a bike or have it taken by road.

Always ridden to Euston, Supper and a couple of pints locally, bike in baggage car, panniers in Pacsafe, and overnight bag in cabin

It is becoming more commercial undertone new management though so this may have changed
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

bikerwaser wrote:I was wondering if there is any floor space on the train somewhere where I can put down my Thermarest for the night

No. There's only one seated carriage, the berths and the restaurant car. The aisles are narrow and bodies lying in them unlikely to be appreciated. You have to sit in a recliner seat if you don't want to pay for a berth.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Don't get lumbered with the single seats at the back of the carriage. It's impossible to find a comfortable position for such a long journey.
Try to get a seat in a row of three and hope nobody is sitting beside you. You can then stretch out on the three seats.
If you lie on the floor you will be moved.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PH

Post by PH »

Are the new carriages in service yet? If so are they on all routes?
I haven't been up to Scotland by train for a couple of years, but maybe when people are replying to this old thread they'd specify whether they're talking old or new to avoid confusion. For example
bogmyrtle wrote:Don't get lumbered with the single seats at the back of the carriage. It's impossible to find a comfortable position for such a long journey. Try to get a seat in a row of three and hope nobody is sitting beside you. You can then stretch out on the three seats.

Is this recent? I've never been on one with triple seats, they've always been two one side of the aisle and a single the other, I've slept fine in them, though I'm not fussy!
Igobybike

Post by Igobybike »

PH wrote:Are the new carriages in service yet? If so are they on all routes?

Certainly haven't seen any new carriages yet. Came back on the sleeper from Inverness two weeks ago and they were the same old ones. As you say, no three-abreast seats, just a row of two-abreast on one side and a row of singles on the other side. When I've had to take the seated accommodation because the berths are all sold out/too expensive, I prefer the singles to risking having a stranger beside me trying to find his or her comfortable sleeping position. The seated accommodation has always been full whenever I've used it, the chances of getting a pair of seats to yourself slim. My advice: take a berth if you can. It'll be worth it.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I haven't been up to Scotland by train for a couple of years, but maybe when people are replying to this old thread they'd specify whether they're talking old or new to avoid confusion. For example
bogmyrtle wrote:Don't get lumbered with the single seats at the back of the carriage. It's impossible to find a comfortable position for such a long journey. Try to get a seat in a row of three and hope nobody is sitting beside you. You can then stretch out on the three seats.

Is this recent? I've never been on one with triple seats, they've always been two one side of the aisle and a single the other, I've slept fine in them, though I'm not fussy!

I last used it in 2014. The single seats at the end of the carriage didn't recline. There were definitely rows of three seats. Maybe sometimes different carriages are used.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Ron

Post by Ron »

No, in a message on the website dated 14/08/2018 they say..... introduction in just a few short months.
For latest news click on https://www.sleeper.scot/ and scroll down to Cal Sleeper Press Releases.
Ron

Post by Ron »

There is a further update on the sleeper.scot website, new wagons on all routes by the end of May 2019.
PH

Post by PH »

Ron wrote:There is a further update on the sleeper.scot website, new wagons on all routes by the end of May 2019.

Thanks for the updates Ron, either I got it wrong or there's been some delay, I was sure they were due to go into service this year.
I'm not sure I like the new, part of the appeal was the 50's feel, though I'm sure a frequent user would appreciate a different set of criteria.
Ron

Post by Ron »

PH wrote: I got it wrong or there's been some delay, I was sure they were due to go into service this year. .

You did not get it wrong, we were promised new rolling stock in service this summer(2018). According to the BBC report only some of the wagons have yet arrived in this country from Spain via Cz Republic where they were tested, then there is UK acceptance testing, safety checks etc.. bla bla bla, a stream of excuses.
As for the 50s feel, regulars have become a bit tired of it , it's well past its Sell By date now :D .
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The new sleeper launched last night. Comment suggests there are 6 bike places.
launch
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info