What's wrong with me ???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Peejay56

Re: What's wrong with me ???

Post by Peejay56 »

Hi Helen - regarding A49......

Last year on my Lejog ride I took the A49 from Hereford to just south of Preston and had no issues. If you are OK riding in traffic you'll be fine, no heroics just take care if you are riding through Warrington or Wigan during the busy times.

I'm sure Mick F will be along to comment too.

Can't help you with the maps - I used a Garmin 800 loaded with the route I had created in Ride with GPS and it worked a treat.

Have a safe ride - you'll certainly enjoy the experience.

Pete.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A49 is fine, but busy for much of its length.
Get off it through the towns onto the Old A49: Leominster, Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Church Stretton, Whitchurch etc.

A good tip is to go via Wem on the A528/B5476 between Shrewsbury and Whitchurch.

Warrington/Wigan/Standish is very busy at times. Just take your time and plod through it. Easy to navigate, just follow the road signs.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Good luck on your ride weather is good all week and fill us in on return of your antics :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Thanks Mick - appreciated and noted.
NA - I have a pit in my stomach similar to walking to the dentist for a root canal without anesthesia - I wish today would go away so I can get on tomorrow's train!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Others have suggested taking a road atlas. I tend to get a cheap road atlas and just cut strips out of the pages wide enough to cover the approximate route and a few miles either side. A lot lighter than carrying the whole atlas. Useful when you are not sure which way you should turn in an area you don't know well.