Cyclists not allowed on the A30!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Rich_Clements

Re: Cyclists not allowed on the A30!

Post by Rich_Clements »

Thanks Martyn and welcome.

That website is quite interesting, the photo's section I found interesting as I havent been down the A30 this year so it was good to see what they are doing.
Rich
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent info there Martyn. :D
Thanks muchly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I hear that the A30 should have been open properly by Easter, but it now won't be.
The original schedule was to be open "Spring 2017", but now it's "Late Spring 2017"

Late Spring means Early Summer?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a quickie update.

I was driving on the A30 on Monday ........ a couple of days ago ............ and they are weeks away from completion, maybe a month or two or even more. :shock:

Cyclists are still banned, and the silly diversions are still there.
Forget the A30 Bodmin Moor route for the time being, and take the "Northern Route" via Wadebridge and Camelford to re-join the A30 at Launceston.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

When I was in Cornwall for Easter the over run of the works was much in the news.

According to the Council the new completion date is 13th July.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-a ... provement/

This is their advice for cyclists
Cyclists
For the duration of the construction of the new dual carriageway cyclists are prohibited from travelling along the route as the single lanes are narrower. For cyclists travelling east on the A30 they should leave at the Bodmin off-ramp at Carminow Cross and follow the clearly marked cycle route via Fletchers Bridge, Mount and Bolventor. For cyclists travelling west on the A30 they should leave at the Colliford Lake turn-off and follow the clearly marked cycle route via Mount and Fletchers Bridge.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's hardly a surprise when major roadworks overrun as it's often part of the unofficial plan. A temporary traffic regulation order is for a max 18 months and can be extended, if, surprise, surprise, it overruns.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/15
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Just in case anyone has failed to mention it ...
The works at Temple are part of the great Penzance to Inverness Highway project...
When they have finished at Temple they will be off to Summercourt / Blackwater for the next phase .... Carland Cross to Three Burrows to be exact.
The upgrading of the A9 north of Perth may slow down as it was mostly being paid for by the money we give to the EU being given back to us (Well to Scotland to be accurate) to fix our roads ... falling to pieces as they are covered in EU HGV ..... :)

( That would be an interesting thread, % of roads accidents involving HGV drivers sitting on the wrong side of the vehicle ...mmmm, on the phone, watching their lap tops ..... :evil: )
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Penzance to Inverness Highway.
If it were in USA, they'd write a song about it. :lol:

Didn't Mike Read (the Radio 1 DJ) do a song about the A30?
Mick F. Cornwall
roger

Post by roger »

Just in case you missed all the fanfare, it is now open.

However, there are some night time closures.

Roger.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Jeremy Bond wrote: every time I see cyclists on the A30 by-pass, I feel sad as I feel they are risking their lives,

They are not, drivers failing to drive properly near cyclists are doing that.

especially, with a little planning, they could have avoided this dangerous stretch of highway.

If the public highway is dangerous the responsible authorities should be the ones doing planning, to make it safe, not members of the public planning to avoid it.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:Penzance to Inverness Highway.
If it were in USA, they'd write a song about it. :lol:

No quite Mick .. Chiverton Cross to Carland Cross , the A30 - Truro turnoffs, is still a very cyclist un-friendly stretch of road, and motor vehicle unfriendly for that matter.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

jgurney wrote:
Jeremy Bond wrote: every time I see cyclists on the A30 by-pass, I feel sad as I feel they are risking their lives,

They are not, drivers failing to drive properly near cyclists are doing that.

especially, with a little planning, they could have avoided this dangerous stretch of highway.

If the public highway is dangerous the responsible authorities should be the ones doing planning, to make it safe, not members of the public planning to avoid it.

Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross...
Yeh ... Great sentiment .... now a reality check, if you insist on riding on a road built in the 1800's carrying modern traffic loads, barely wide enough for 2 HGV'S to pass, the main route to West Cornwall, you go for it ..... or ride one of the nearly parallel empty country lanes.
I know what my personal duty of care says ....
Be more Mike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roger wrote:Just in case you missed all the fanfare, it is now open.
Thanks for raising this.

landsurfer wrote:Chiverton Cross to Carland Cross , the A30 - Truro turnoffs, is still a very cyclist un-friendly stretch of road, and motor vehicle unfriendly for that matter.
When I've been in that direction, I've missed out Carland Cross. It's bad enough in a car. :shock:

Coming east, turn off about half a mile before it, and turn south. This bit isn't too good as the right turn is on a hill and a bend, but you can get off the bike and wait before either legging it, or riding. I've done this a few times there.

Follow that road parallel to the A30 and it then turns south parallel with the A39. There's a junction across the A39 and you can cross there and turn north, then work your way to Mitchell and call in at the Flume of Feathers for a well-earned beer. :D
http://theplumemitchell.co.uk

You can then rejoin the A30.
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 13.19.53.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I drove down to Camborne and back yesterday, and the road is fully clear with no cycists' warning or diversion signs.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Follow that road parallel to the A30 and it then turns south parallel with the A39. There's a junction across the A39 and you can cross there and turn north, then work your way to Mitchell and call in at the Flume of Feathers for a well-earned beer. :D
http://theplumemitchell.co.uk

You can then rejoin the A30.Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 13.19.53.png

That route looks like what you'd do after visiting a pub, not before it! So they've done a load of building work and still not made any space for cycling? :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.