Cyclists not allowed on the A30!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cyclists not allowed on the A30!

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Follow that road parallel to the A30 and it then turns south parallel with the A39. There's a junction across the A39 and you can cross there and turn north, then work your way to Mitchell and call in at the Flume of Feathers for a well-earned beer. :D
http://theplumemitchell.co.uk

You can then rejoin the A30.Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 13.19.53.png

That route looks like what you'd do after visiting a pub, not before it! So they've done a load of building work and still not made any space for cycling? :roll:
No they've not. :shock:

Carland Cross roundabout isn't too bad heading east A30 to A30, but heading west is horrible - even in a motor vehicle.
I've often driven there and turned south (left) to Truro onto the A39 - again, not too bad - but coming back from Truro to turn east (right) is rather awful.
Busy busy busy restrictive and fast roundabout and no fun at all.

Looking west A30.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.34617 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.34659 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
lindsaywill2

Post by lindsaywill2 »

Hi there,

I'm thinking of riding back to London from St Agnes in a couple of weeks time, can i just clarify that the A30 is now fully open for cyclists heading east, including at night please ?

many thanks
Lindsay
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F has said it's open! That's from a man who knows!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I drove down to Camborne and back the other day, and the A30 over Bodmin Moor is now fully dualled and fully open.
Not a road that I enjoy cycling on, but it is a fast ride and the most direct.

Given the choice, I wouldn't ride on it at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This sounds like an example of what I was talking about on the current "dual carriageway petition" thread: gradual "improvement" of a general purpose road makes it unsuitable for cyclists and others but as it remains a general purpose road no proper separate provision is necessary. Had it been given motorway status, then an alternative route for prohibited traffic would have been provided.

If there are reasonable alternatives, it's generally more by good luck than official planning.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: .......... an alternative route for prohibited traffic would have been provided.
This raises a little issue about the village of Temple.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52992 ... 210477,14z
There is no road at all that you can use to get to and from Temple that is NOT the A30 dual carriageway. The junction that crossed it was closed for months during the road "improvements".
Had we lived in Temple as a keen cyclist, I would have kicked up merry hell about being banned from cycling out of the village. :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple,_Cornwall

Strange eerie place, but worth a visit. Extremely quiet and remote village completely bypassed by the A30. No doubt that before the coming of the turnpikes, the main route over Bodmin Moor would have gone through Temple, but the turnpike builders no doubt felt that it was better to avoid the place.
Mick F. Cornwall
lindsaywill2

Post by lindsaywill2 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, I drove down to Camborne and back the other day, and the A30 over Bodmin Moor is now fully dualled and fully open.
Not a road that I enjoy cycling on, but it is a fast ride and the most direct.

Given the choice, I wouldn't ride on it at all.

Agreed; but at least it has a shoulder for much of the way (better then the A303 IMO). I'm thinking of tackling the A30 at night, so should be a lot better as far less traffic and if you put enough flashing lights on the bike, cars think they are overtaking an emergency vehicle so they steer well clear.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good plan. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
roger

Post by roger »

Hot from the Cornish Guardian.
"Highways England revealed there will be overnight lane closures on A 30 at Temple until Aug 25"

"overnight on Monday to Thursday from 8pm to 6am"

As background info they give some vehicle usage data none of which is human powered. Oddly enough they refer to the vehicles trundling along.

Roger.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F never told us about this!!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

News to me.
I don't go out at night. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall