JOGLE next summer, early thoughts...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
BottomGear

JOGLE next summer, early thoughts...

Post by BottomGear »

Questioning my sanity :shock: but being over ruled by my enthusiasm :D I've decided to begin my plans for an attempt at an End to End next Summer..

I've not ridden in anger for over 7 years, (discounting hiring out mountain bikes with my kids on holiday) so last month bought a dedicated touring bike, which I must say I'm very much enjoying already. Being realistic I need time to build up my general fitness, get properly bike fit and lose a couple of stone in the process. Right now I'm cycling around my work commitments most days up to 20 miles, averaging about 10 or 12mph without too much bother, not much I know, but at least it's a start!

So, the rough plan is to aim for a self supported JOG-LE over 14 days next June, I'm not wholly committed on which route but I'd really like to drop down via Oban onto Kintyre and then across to Arran, the area looks simply stunning and using the ferry seems like added fun. :) As for accommodation, well I have the option of lightweight camping equipment but will also look to pre-arrange B&Bs / Guest Houses nearer the date...

However, I've been told that attempting a solo E2E is an extremely difficult undertaking, I guess for reasons of moral support that having company will help when the going gets (inevitably) tough?. Be interested to hear your thoughts?... Certainly company would make sense, but right now I don't really know anybody who would be up to share the challenge, but the more I think of it, the more it sounds like a good idea - should anybody be possibly interested that is!. Anyway for now it's early early days, so I'll keep on enjoying building myself up and continue enjoying this great forum,.... oh and by the way, I'm Richard, from Kent. :D
helenheart

Re: JOGLE next summer, early thoughts...

Post by helenheart »

However, I've been told that attempting a solo E2E is an extremely difficult undertaking.

Extremely difficult undertaking??? Everyone has different opinions about everything, but please don't take this as gospel!
I personally love solo riding and have done all my long rides alone.

I'll let you know how all the ferrying around Arran goes!!!
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

helenheart wrote:
However, I've been told that attempting a solo E2E is an extremely difficult undertaking.

Extremely difficult undertaking??? Everyone has different opinions about everything, but please don't take this as gospel!

I'll let you know how all the ferrying around Arran goes!!!

Good luck, and don't forget the seasickness tablets.
Ron

Post by Ron »

helenheart wrote:Extremely difficult undertaking??? Everyone has different opinions about everything, but please don't take this as gospel!

Agreed!
I think solo tourists get a better experience as locals will approach you for a chat, something that doesn't happen when cycling with a partner. It's the people you meet on tour that provide many of the memories.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife did it as a novice cyclist, she'd been riding for a year when we completed ourJOGLE. It's certainly a challenge but I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult.

I also found that even cycling as a pair, people will still take an interest in what you are doing and come and talk to you.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It isn't extremely difficult at all.
Just treat each day as a separate ride.

The "hard bit" is being away from home for night after night.
Some years ago, I was involved with a couple of riders doing it for the first time, and they had many years of riding experience behind them. The trained well, but each ride had taken them back home.

It wasn't until they were a few days into their End2End that they understood the enormity of the ride. They live in the SE, and the N of Scotland down to the SW of England was well out of their normal stamping ground.

If you were to speak to them now, they would say the same as I'm saying now. "Just treat each day as a separate ride."
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Hard? It could be if you try to do too many miles each day for your fitness level. 14 days is 65-75mpf depending on route. Maybe nearer 75 if going via Arran.

I did a 13 day hostel LEJOG. If I did another I'd probably take a few days more.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I've just finished a 1200 mile self supported jogle using this route, http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7169047
I managed to book loads of time off work so I had the option of taking my time, even on a surly Bigdummy loaded with camping gear I managed around 75 miles a day including one day of 102 miles over glencoe, don't worry too much about the fitness as it will come over the next year. Do take the scenic route and book extra time off work. The camping option works for me as you don't have to stick to a rigid plan and can just wild camp. One thing I would advise is to do a few trial runs fully loaded, get used to the weight and more importantly find out which bits of kit work and which you don't need.
I sent back about 6lbs of kit after about 3days of riding including my Hennessy hammock ( you WILL find a site for a tent)
My route used lots of paths and cycle routes so was longer but more interesting, buy yourself the extra time if you can it makes it a lot less like hard work. That said I did more miles than I planned each day as you generally get up early when wild camping and the miles just fall into place.

In short do loaded overnight trips that way you will be able to see if the camping or B and B option is best for you, personally one of my best nights was on Dartmoor tucked up in my tent in a storm! Also I wild camped on the Caledonian canal....a few bottles of Arran blonde and saw red deer drinking from the canal just before turning In for the night....you can't buy that sort of experience in a b&b, book a b&b once or twice when you need to wash and dry the kit!
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Answering it he difficult part, I found it easier than I imagined. There are days when the riding can be tough particularly when it's day after day and it's raining again but I actually enjoyed the tough bits ( afterwards). I did my trip solo, although you might miss the company on the long empty bits it's then YOUR ride, you meet more people when alone, don't have any arguments when you freewheel down a mile long decent.....the wrong way. If you you do I trip like this with a friend I think you need to know them well enough to kiss and make up. Doing it solo for me was part of the fun, being self sufficient adds to the enjoyment and sense of achievement when you finally roll over the finishing line.
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

TrevA wrote:My wife did it as a novice cyclist, she'd been riding for a year when we completed ourJOGLE. It's certainly a challenge but I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult.
I also found that even cycling as a pair, people will still take an interest in what you are doing and come and talk to you.

Ron wrote:
helenheart wrote:Extremely difficult undertaking??? Everyone has different opinions about everything, but please don't take this as gospel!

Agreed!
I think solo tourists get a better experience as locals will approach you for a chat, something that doesn't happen when cycling with a partner. It's the people you meet on tour that provide many of the memories.

I like that bit about the memories of the folk you meet - it's true, there are always characters and stories to be had when away. My idea didn't involve or aim to include anyone, as I don't know anybody who would be up for it, but I've nearly a year so anything may happen, but in truth, I am more than happy to do as a solo.

Mick F wrote:It isn't extremely difficult at all.
Just treat each day as a separate ride.

Thanks Mick - sound advice. Breaking the day further into smaller chunks will hopefully make it even more manageable.

Bigdummysteve wrote:Answering it he difficult part, I found it easier than I imagined. There are days when the riding can be tough particularly when it's day after day and it's raining again but I actually enjoyed the tough bits ( afterwards). I did my trip solo, although you might miss the company on the long empty bits it's then YOUR ride, you meet more people when alone, don't have any arguments when you freewheel down a mile long decent.....the wrong way. If you you do I trip like this with a friend I think you need to know them well enough to kiss and make up. Doing it solo for me was part of the fun, being self sufficient adds to the enjoyment and sense of achievement when you finally roll over the finishing line.

Thanks for the link to your route Steve, interesting to see how others have taken on their E2E.

I'm really quite happy with my own company, so if I go solo, as I guess I will, I know they'll be that trade off being away from loved ones and indulging in complete freedom - and it's that freedom that is one of the big reasons for doing this in the first place.

Good idea with the fully loaded test run also. I plan to build up with trips away camping, as it's the camping aspect that appeals as much as anything with the added bonus of being very flexible.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, all very interesting and very helpful.
Richard.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

I just completed LEJOG in late May with my nephew. Our ride was very similar to the one you're thinking of ie we took the scenic west coast route via Arran on a 14 day ride, camped most of the time but with a few proper beds thrown in, and we were both novice cyclists with no cycle touring experience. If I was doing it again, I'd take 18-20 days to reduce the 75 average daily miles to 50-60. On the one shorter day we had we really appreciated having a bit more time to rest and recover; other days we were cycling 8 - 6pm and sometimes later (two days we did 95 miles). Of course, not camping would reduce the weight and mean you could make quicker time.

My advice would therefore be to think carefully about the style of trip you want. If you can build up the training so you're comfortable cycling 75 miles fully loaded then go for it. Alternatively, if you want to enjoy the camping and have a more relaxed trip then I'd suggest taking a few days longer. An extra hour or two for impromptu stops or recovery time in the evening really makes a big difference. Like you, I had visions of relaxing in the tent after each day ... we just didn't have the time !

Finally, having company certainly helps share the highs/lows but if you do it solo I'd recommend meeting up with folk along the way since it'll really give a great motivational boost.

You can see my final reflections on my ride here: http://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/06/14 ... flections/
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have done a few solo tours, the hard ones are the ones where you go along time without much of a conversation with someone due to language difficulties, you can do the basics but not a true conversation... have never been fed up, found it tough etc., when in 'nominally' english speaking countries... at least conversation goes beyond trying to fathom menus/items in shops and ordering tea/coffee in the local lingo.....

Treat each day as a ride out, look for places of interest on the way. I would add in some visits to British Cycle Quest sites and tick off a few questions, as and where they fit into the route... but that's my personal choice.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

BottomGear wrote:So, the rough plan is to aim for a self supported JOG-LE over 14 days next June, I'm not wholly committed on which route but I'd really like to drop down via Oban onto Kintyre and then across to Arran, the area looks simply stunning and using the ferry seems like added fun.

Did this in 2013. Though it was late May/early June the Lochranza ferry (which almost looks like something used in the D-Day landings) was delayed because of the choppy seas. It meant that I only just made the Brodick ferry and back to the mainland. Although I wouldn't dissuade you from doing it (it was quite good fun) I think planning an overnight on Arran might be sensible. If I did it again I would.
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

eileithyia wrote:Have done a few solo tours, the hard ones are the ones where you go along time without much of a conversation with someone due to language difficulties, you can do the basics but not a true conversation... have never been fed up, found it tough etc., when in 'nominally' english speaking countries... at least conversation goes beyond trying to fathom menus/items in shops and ordering tea/coffee in the local lingo.....

Treat each day as a ride out, look for places of interest on the way. I would add in some visits to British Cycle Quest sites and tick off a few questions, as and where they fit into the route... but that's my personal choice.

Nearer the time I will have a better idea of the amount of time I will need to be in the saddle but I hope to be able to allow myself enough time to enjoy the route and the points of interest along the way. BCQ? - I'd not heard of, so thanks for the heads up :D .
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

Ben@Forest wrote:Did this in 2013. Though it was late May/early June the Lochranza ferry (which almost looks like something used in the D-Day landings) was delayed because of the choppy seas. It meant that I only just made the Brodick ferry and back to the mainland. Although I wouldn't dissuade you from doing it (it was quite good fun) I think planning an overnight on Arran might be sensible. If I did it again I would.

I did originally consider a dash across on the ferry, cycle the island and then back again, but I think a stay on the island would make sense as then I'd not put pressure in chasing two ferry timetables.