Cape wrath to Kingsgate

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
molzor

Cape wrath to Kingsgate

Post by molzor »

This is a group for lejog, but as someone who lives in the south east, Ive been thinking about doing a trip recently from cape wrath to kingsgate (across britain the opposite way round - North west scotland to south east england)

because i live on the tip of the south east it doesnt make much sense to go to lands end on the other side of the country when i could just ride home!

Has anyone on here done something similar?
bikepacker

Re: Cape wrath to Kingsgate

Post by bikepacker »

Someone posted a route from Dover to Cape Wrath but it did not seem to gain much support. I think Scott Munn did it and wrote about it in one of the magazines. Can't remember which one.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I would say 'do it'!

Once LEJOG/JOGLE has been completed (even if it hasn't) - one has to look for alternatives and it is more about the journey than the destination, It doesn't have to have prestige or even recognition; the overall mileage is irrelevant, just do it to your satisfaction; start a trend, extol the virtues and I'm sure others will be interested!
molzor

Post by molzor »

well i never have been one for the rules! people always ask me "how many miles do you do a day?" and i just say whatever i feel like! just go where you like and stop when you like right?

anyway its on, im just trying to convince a friend of mine to come too. if not itll be solo.
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

We are doing a similar ride on our tandem in September. At first we were going to do Dover to Durness then thought as we live on the south coast ( in the middle) why not just set off from home. Then as we were having to book various things in the far north decided to go up there then ride home. Roughly our route is Durness, Inverness, Stirling, Penrith, York, Oxford and home taking our time and using B&Bs. So go on, stop thinking , start planning and just do it :)
lostgeordie

Post by lostgeordie »

I did LEJOG 2 year ago. enjoyed thoroughly. Been thinking about going to Cape Wrath. Google Cape Wrath to Dover and you get a lot of results including this route http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/796468-dover-to-cape-wrath-via-arran-and-mull/ plus various CTC links
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Just finished Dover to Cape Wrath, over two weeks, up the West coast of Scotland (Arran, Mull, Skye). I did it with peak tours, but you could do it on your own too. Our route went via the Peak District and Yorshire Dales, to add interest (and hills) rather than going the more traditional route up through York. (basically Dover, Cambridge, Derby, Glossop, Settle, Penrith, Arran, Mull, Skye, Ullapool, Durness).
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Mmm...

Home - Dover - Cape Wrath - JOG - LE - Home.

Now there's a thought...! It will take less time off work than the coast of UK.
Wheeledwidewebb

Post by Wheeledwidewebb »

Did you ever ride this route 'molzor'

I am thinking of a very similar thing and would be interested to hear of your experience or at least if you found an agreeable route.
molzor

Post by molzor »

Wheeledwidewebb wrote:Did you ever ride this route 'molzor'

I am thinking of a very similar thing and would be interested to hear of your experience or at least if you found an agreeable route.

I didn't! Its still on my list.

Are you living in Kent and looking for a team mate? haha

(Sorry for the late reply, I dont come on here often)
Wheeledwidewebb

Post by Wheeledwidewebb »

I live in Broadstairs and I wouldn’t rule out riding it with someone else.

Cannot do this year though.