Saddles designs for the ladies

Geoff.D

Re: Saddles designs for the ladies

Postby Geoff.D » 10 Jul 2016, 12:15pm

The Manta saddle has been produced for a number of years now, and this is the latest model. It's not women specific, but does claim to address the issue of saddle discomfort for all riders. From what I read it seems to do what it says, but you have to get used to a different "feel" between you and your bike.

http://mantasaddle.co.uk/

Manta saddle.jpg

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 18 Jul 2016, 8:23pm

Geoff.D wrote:The Manta saddle has been produced for a number of years now, and this is the latest model. It's not women specific, but does claim to address the issue of saddle discomfort for all riders. From what I read it seems to do what it says, but you have to get used to a different "feel" between you and your bike.

Manta saddle.jpg

It looks like a torture instrument, but I can see it might work. I'd tend to think it would work better for males than females, though - there is a tough looking central section just where I find a cut-out helps. But I'm open to reviews which suggest otherwise.....

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 18 Jul 2016, 9:15pm

As a cycling gent I have tried lots of saddles. When I tried various Sell SMP saddles I found them far too firm. I'm now riding a Selle Italia Diva gel flow saddle. With this saddle I'm still relatively comfortable after a 200 km ride.

The Manta looks interesting though so I'm going to investigate that one further.

Geoff.D

Postby Geoff.D » 19 Jul 2016, 1:17pm

Flinders wrote:
Geoff.D wrote:The Manta saddle has been produced for a number of years now, and this is the latest model. It's not women specific, but does claim to address the issue of saddle discomfort for all riders. From what I read it seems to do what it says, but you have to get used to a different "feel" between you and your bike.

Manta saddle.jpg

It looks like a torture instrument, but I can see it might work. I'd tend to think it would work better for males than females, though - there is a tough looking central section just where I find a cut-out helps. But I'm open to reviews which suggest otherwise.....

I can't comment, Flinders, on its comfort except by reference to a review several years ago, and one quite recently in Velo Vision Issue 51. I agree that there seems to be a boney spine incorporated exactly where it's not wanted. The reviews don't mention it as a problem.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 21 Jul 2016, 6:25pm

Geoff.D wrote:
Flinders wrote:

Manta saddle.jpg

I can't comment, Flinders, on its comfort except by reference to a review several years ago, and one quite recently in Velo Vision Issue 51. I agree that there seems to be a boney spine incorporated exactly where it's not wanted. The reviews don't mention it as a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I did contact manta and ask if they had any info on its suitability for ladies, but haven't yet had a reply. I also read a review that suggested those saddles needed to be fitted lower than a standard saddle. If so, that would rule them out for me in any case, as the saddle on my bike can't go any lower, and the frame can't be any smaller and clear the wheels - a side effect of being short with proportionally even shorter legs.

I suspect those saddles would be okay for the gentlemen, though, as their sensitive bits and pieces are more to the front rather than below.

Geoff.D

Postby Geoff.D » 22 Jul 2016, 7:49am

Flinders wrote:I suspect those saddles would be okay for the gentlemen, though, as their sensitive bits and pieces are more to the front rather than below.

You could well be right, Flinders.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 22 Jul 2016, 9:52am

There is a review of the Manta in the latest VeloVision. While the reviewer is editor Howard Yeomans one of the shots has a probably-a-female partially in shot so if you get in touch you might get some more info on how it works with at least one rider of a female persuasion.

http://www.velovision.com/

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 12 Aug 2016, 12:35pm

I got more information in a very nice email from manta, will pass it on if anyone is interested.

Geoff.D

Postby Geoff.D » 12 Aug 2016, 3:36pm

Flinders wrote:I got more information in a very nice email from manta, will pass it on if anyone is interested.

Yes please, Flinders. I'll pm my email address.

Rachel Purves

Postby Rachel Purves » 11 Nov 2016, 4:02pm

I find for all my cycling needs the Bill Amberg Pan is ideal just read the reviews online. They are now very difficultto get hold of but I think my local bike shop might still have some in stock. Check the reviews and if you need help please PM me. Kind Regards Rachel P

skatty

Postby skatty » 4 Jan 2017, 6:10pm

Can anyone recommend a saddle that is gentle on the front of our private bits? I know it's personal preference but if anyone has had similar discomfort and has found a saddle that works for them I'd appreciate the advice.
Many thanks and happy cycling

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 6 Jan 2017, 3:41pm

skatty wrote:Can anyone recommend a saddle that is gentle on the front of our private bits? I know it's personal preference but if anyone has had similar discomfort and has found a saddle that works for them I'd appreciate the advice.

I find the ones with cutouts work best for me.

My favourites are Serfas. But even the Halfords 'ergonomic' ladies saddle is better than a flat one for me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

PH

Postby PH » 6 Jan 2017, 7:48pm

New women's highest mileage record holder Kajsa Tylen seems highly impressed with the Infinity saddle, but it's a lot of money
http://www.infinitybikeseat.com/reviews/

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 7 Jan 2017, 8:08pm

skatty wrote:Can anyone recommend a saddle that is gentle on the front of our private bits? I know it's personal preference but if anyone has had similar discomfort and has found a saddle that works for them I'd appreciate the advice.

I use a Selle Italia Diva which suits me fine whether riding on the hood's or drops.
If your position is more upright you may want something more padded in the seatbone area. Cut outs or a deep central channel definitely take the pressure off the soft tissue.
There are also a number of noseless saddles on the market that could help with this quite common problem. Have a look at some of previous posts in threads on this page for links.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Return to “Women's cycling interests”