Jeans

Briggo

Jeans

Postby Briggo » 23 Feb 2017, 8:40pm

Any women cyclists have the dreaded struggle with fashion?

Im struggling to find a pair of jeans that fit around the waist whilst taking in my lower half.

Ive done a lot of of track /cyclocross and through genetics have always had large buttocks and upper legs compared to my waist so the seams end up wearing thin over a few months. This is very annoying after having spent a lot of money on them.

Thanks. Mary

bogmyrtle

Re: Jeans

Postby bogmyrtle » 25 Feb 2017, 6:10pm

I don't have the same problem with the seams wearing but I do have a problem getting jeans that fit my thighs but don't succumb to gravity. I end up with a waistband that is a couple of sizes too big and need a belt to hold them up. They are also always too long for my short legs and my limited sowing skills.
I look with envy at the styles of jeans in M&S and hope that one day they will add short, bandy, big thigh, on the waist fitting jeans to their range.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Briggo

Postby Briggo » 27 Feb 2017, 5:11am

Thanks. I've heard M&S do a nice range and there are number of brands from the states going online for cyclists but I always like to try before I buy and shipping can be a nightmare. I tried a pair of Next boot cut and Zara straight leg and whilst there's enough room for the thighs and the waist is stretchy, I have big buttocks and they were really compressed and tight in that area. I'm going to have another look at m&s and there is still hope yet. More advice much appreciated.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 27 Feb 2017, 9:14am

This is a perpetual problem for female cyclists. I've always struggled to find trousers of any sort that fit well. It was the worst when 'skinny jeans' were in style, and practically nothing else could be found :evil:

In general, stuff that fits my thighs doesn't fit my waist and vice versa. Gap 'curvy' jeans are better that way, but I still have to get boot cut ones, or they don't go over my calves. I have sometimes bought stuff that fits my legs and bum, then taken the waist in. I do that by sewing 'tucks', which are just little folds. It takes 10 or fifteen minutes to do with a sewing machine, and I imagine that a place that does alterations wouldn't charge much, either.

For smart clothes, M&S ones with baggy legs generally fit well & look good on me. If you can find an M&S outlet, you can get some nice bargains.

I've taken to wearing longer tops with stretchy leggings for casual wear; it's more comfortable and avoids the problem of jeans fitting altogether.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Briggo

Postby Briggo » 27 Feb 2017, 10:37am

Vorpal

Thank you so much. I read your message after a nightmare weekend shopping and it made me smile. Nice to connect with women who have the same problem. Since i've taken my cycling more seriously in my 40s i just cant find anything on the jeans front so I slip into ''lycra-land'' all the time. Sorry to overshare my frustration but my husband will often say ''just come to this or that event casual - jeans or something'' and i have to turn up in a skirt or baggy mom-jeans which look awful.

I totally agree and i we should clearly set up a business (if only i had the time and money haha). I actually tried a pair of GAP boot cut and Next standard fit at the weekend. The Next pair got over my legs and bum but were so slack on the waist you could have carried a small child in there. The GAP pair was a little better on the thighs but were overly tight on my glutes.

Do you have the problem with the fit around the thigh / upper leg area Vorpal or do you also have the big powerful cyclist buttocks so have the problem on the glutes too? I can't do one press up and have a stick upper body but I've always had big ole glutes which is where I find some of the tightness on the back seam or I just can't fit them over or like you say the waist is too loose.

If you don't mind, can I private message you about the nip and tuck. It sounds masterful if I can find my sewing kit.

Thanks. Mary xx

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 27 Feb 2017, 11:51am

My Better Half has problems getting clothes to fit, although mainly on the top half as she's got man-size shoulders and woman sized hips. Plus being 1.78 she's taller than most and long enough in the leg can be an issue, and then there's the calves and thighs, etc. etc.

But she has done okay with Rohan's jeans, which also benefit from a degree of stretch. Might be worth checking out, sizes 8-20 in 3 leg lengths. Obviously, not something I've actually tried on, and even if I had it wouldn't be much use as info. But these do at least come from a manufacturer who aren't prioritising fashion over function. They do cost Real Money though...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

AMMoffat

Postby AMMoffat » 27 Feb 2017, 10:55pm

I've always had the same problem. +1 for Rohan jeans, though now they no longer do a bootcut version the slimmer fit of the current version is not so generous in the thigh department. Also Lands End trousers (I haven't tried their jeans) seem to be made for a more muscular thigh shape so their jeans might suit, though never buy full price from Lands End unless you are really in a rush, if you wait a few days a reduced price offer is always forthcoming and although they are mail order only, unless you are near their Oakham outlet store, their customer service is second to none.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 2 Mar 2017, 5:26pm

I do currrently have a pair of M+S that pretty well fit, but have a smallish waist, hips and thighs are more womanly..... or cyclist shaped.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Anura

Postby Anura » 3 Mar 2017, 5:03pm

How about jeggings, or jeans with an elasticated waist, as they are tighter anyway, buy a larger size and the waist won't be so noticeably large. Some of them have a profile that actually look like proper jeans with a faux zip and flat elastication.

Zanda

Postby Zanda » 6 Mar 2017, 10:31am

The skinny jeans fashion wasn't so good for cycling. Better to have room around the thighs and (backs of) knees, I found, to give unrestricted movement when pedalling and to minimise chafing. Add to this the fact that denim holds water when wet and it's better, I've found, to choose almost any other kind of casual trousers. As they wear out, I'm replacing my jeans with walking trousers (in quick drying fabric) and trousers made of thinner cotton or wool mix fabric. These have the advantage of being easier to sew (if alteration is needed) as the fabric isn't as bulky.

But anyway, I've found that jeans with a large waist can be taken in by adding darts, This might be what Vorpal refers to as nip and tuck. Vertical darts will take in the waistband and some of the fabric in the body of the trousers. Here's a video showing the first part of the job. You then need to sew the dart down so it sits flat. This gives the kind of fit you'll get by using a belt. It works fine for reducing the waist, and it's a quick job.

Alternatively, there's a more complex method which gets neater-looking results. It involves unpicking the waistband, pleating the body, then shortening and reattaching the band, a bit like this. This is the kind of alteration I might expect if I were to have it professionally done. A high street alteration shop should charge about £15 for this.

By the way, an old-fashined, all-metal sewing machine is best for denim; you're sewing multiple layers at the bottom of the waistband, and the machine needs to be strong enough to handle this without straining.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 8 Mar 2017, 6:49pm

pjclinch wrote:My Better Half has problems getting clothes to fit, although mainly on the top half as she's got man-size shoulders and woman sized hips. Plus being 1.78 she's taller than most and long enough in the leg can be an issue, and then there's the calves and thighs, etc. etc.

Pete.

I have the first two problems, but am also short in the leg. So I take a Men's Medium in tops to get my shoulders in, otherwise I'd be a ladies XXL which would be like a sack on the rest of me ( as I am meagre in the cleavage) and would have sleeves which reach my knees. I have to cut a good few inches off the bottom of most trousers, which are still too big at the waist.

We all need to get together one day and wear 'normal' clothes. We could raise money for charity by letting people look at the general effect, which I suspect would be more entertaining than elegant.
Are there any 'average' sized people out there who can just get anything they like in a perfect fit?

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 30 Mar 2017, 8:56pm

Craghopper's Kiwi Pro trousers come in three leg lengths - I like them for cycling as they have some stretch, are very hard-wearing and are quick to wash and dry. I've found the sizing a bit idiosyncratic so it would be worth finding a shop that stocks them where you could try them on - House of Fraser does and I think some TK-Maxxx.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 31 Mar 2017, 6:43am

The jeans in the new M&S advert look great, but I bet they won't fit my cyclist's thighs :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

orangebiker

Postby orangebiker » 28 Apr 2017, 2:28pm

M and S trousers have massive waists compared to the size of the rest of them.

I find H and M the best. The LOGG brand ones. The skinny jeans are ideal for cycling as they are stretchy and don't flap about. Why would you want loose trousers for cycling?

You need a big size though - can be a bit disheartening to be squeezing into a H and M size 14 when M and S size 10 would be too big!

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 21 Jun 2017, 4:58pm

bogmyrtle wrote:I don't have the same problem with the seams wearing but I do have a problem getting jeans that fit my thighs but don't succumb to gravity. I end up with a waistband that is a couple of sizes too big and need a belt to hold them up. They are also always too long for my short legs and my limited sowing skills.
I look with envy at the styles of jeans in M&S and hope that one day they will add short, bandy, big thigh, on the waist fitting jeans to their range.

I don't need the bandy, more knock-kneed if anything, but a 'short, big thigh, small waist' fitting would get my vote.

Return to “Women's cycling interests”