Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Rochellebeights

Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Postby Rochellebeights » 11 May 2017, 10:28am

Hi Ladies,

I'm just wondering if anyone has received sexist or abusive comments while cycling on their morning (or afternoon) commute through London. And if so what were the nature of the comments? I'm wondering whether some of us receive sexist comments because of pure sexism or because of us being on bikes.

Please comment with your thoughts and any examples you've experienced, I'd love to hear about them.

:)

Lance Dopestrong

Re: Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 11 May 2017, 8:29pm

I am a bloke and have received a sexist comment from females while cycling in Lycra, although this was in a provincial town rather than London.

Being a victim of sexism is not a solely female pass time.
Capitalism - I'm alright, Jack.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 May 2017, 12:57am

Hi,
This week, cycling on road came up behind a female runner in middle of road, dinged bell to tell them I am there, they moved right and I cycled past.
Then behind me she said " Giddy Up" is that a horse thing :?

I carried on.........................maybe she was making a pass when she saw my manly physique 8) :lol:
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

Sweep

SomewhatRe: Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Postby Sweep » 12 May 2017, 7:12am

Somewhat wary of posting as may be accused ofva thread divert, and this is generally a very nice place. I'm male.

But was cycling in italy a few weeks ago and in rare return these days to lycra shorts.

A bunch of women substantially younger than me called out as i passed them in a park.

Pretty sure they were taking the micturate, but quite possibly good humoured.

Am genuienly interested in women's experiences.

I cycle round london a lot and can't say i've ever heard anything hurled at women but maybe yobs of whatever class are more subtle/insiduous these days.
Sweep

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 12 May 2017, 8:49am

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I am a bloke and have received a sexist comment from females while cycling in Lycra, although this was in a provincial town rather than London.

Indeed. A bit like being a victim of racism isn't solely limited to black people.
However, as the (very occasional) target of racist abuse (mainly from being English and living in Scotland since the back end of the 80s) I realise that something happening ever and similar things happening routinely and pervasively aren't equivalent problems.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

mjr

Re: SomewhatRe: Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Postby mjr » 12 May 2017, 9:05am

Sweep wrote:I cycle round london a lot and can't say i've ever heard anything hurled at women but maybe yobs of whatever class are more subtle/insiduous these days.

Yes. I would bet it still happens but not within earshot of people like me (a six footer often in a co-op jacket until recently).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 12 May 2017, 7:25pm

Fair post pjclinch.
Sweep

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 13 May 2017, 7:54am

pjclinch wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:I am a bloke and have received a sexist comment from females while cycling in Lycra, although this was in a provincial town rather than London.

Indeed. A bit like being a victim of racism isn't solely limited to black people.
However, as the (very occasional) target of racist abuse (mainly from being English and living in Scotland since the back end of the 80s) I realise that something happening ever and similar things happening routinely and pervasively aren't equivalent problems.

Pete.

I never suggested it was an equivalent problem in numeric terms.

However, in terms of embarrassment and discomfort caused it is perfectly equivalent. I'm 6'5", built like a brick privy, and I found the incident very disturbing. The upset caused to the victim it can be exactly equivalent.

That attitude is quite alarming. You wouldn't extend that logic to male rape, so why do you think it is acceptable to a verbal sexual attack?

PS - I'm another Englishman who spent about half his life in Scotland, but I can switch either accent on and off at will, never suffered any adverse comment on that one
Capitalism - I'm alright, Jack.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 May 2017, 8:53am

Hi,
Helps if you are built like a *&%$ brickhouse :)

I think its down to the individual at that time at that moment.
I can take a lot of abuse (verbal emotional) coming from an abusive family, anything can trigger a reaction even silent, size is not always an armour.

More comments from women maybe.................
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....

awavey

Postby awavey » 14 May 2017, 2:16am

look, youll never know for sure why someone shouted something at you whilst riding a bike unless you ever get to meet them again and question them on it and half the time they probably wouldnt even know themselves,so it might be because they were anti cyclist or sexist, racist, homophobic, anti religion, whatever its a big glorious venn diagram of intersecting things of all of their prejudices some of which may or may not apply to you.

all I know from my own experience on the road as a women just riding a bike, as I mentioned in the similar thread in "On the Road", is comments, abuse, hassle, heckles however you want to describe it, is a fairly regular occurence for me, as I know it is for other female riders who Im friends with

and whilst having discussed it many a time with male colleagues at work who ride bikes, yes obviously they get abusive comments too,some of which are occasionally as bad or as fruity, its not to the same frequency and its not to the same kind of level of the stuff that women seem to have to put up as par for the course

I absolutely dread in summer cycling along and then finding queues of slow moving traffic that Im undertaking because theres a gap big enough to make progress through on a bike, as I know the passenger window will be fully down and i'll be given the full repertoire of sexual come ons, abuse, lewd comments at best, and worst case theyll either try to physically touch me (slap or pinch my ass) or actually try to grab the bike, and thats not supposition Ive encountered examples of all those at least once.

only last week I stopped at traffic light pedestrian crossing at the front of the queue on a road Id only just turned onto so no prior interaction with any of the traffic,and the car that ended up behind me then deliberately pulled alongside me and actually broke the crossing and centre line of the road, just so the passenger could lean out of the car and have a "chat" level with me on the bike, like I was just in a nightclub on a Saturday night looking for a date, fortunately the traffic light then went green quite quickly and I was able to retort that they ought to spend more time watching the road, than trying to bother me and chat me up and they were holding everyone up, and rode off.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 May 2017, 10:10am

Hi,
I get it men are more that way to women, and thanks for reminding us, that's what we needed here a women perspective.

I have had half empty cans and apples thrown at me (bike) and unnecessary jibes from males, whilst running, no actual comments from women more pleasant smiles, all I get from males is a Stoney blank look, its only young women mostly who take the time to smile.

Your comments might be welcome by some for a male from a female, but not at the expense of safety for anyone! And definitely not physical touching :evil:
I mean to say that men seem to thrive on strokes that boost their ego. We all do in moderation, and I know thats a fine line.

Like cars, a perfectly normal work colleague behind the wheel is sometimes jeckle and hyde.
Last working in an all male office, I found the boss and chargehand too letching to a small young female temp rather sickening, I a temp myself was not in a position to do anything to help though I wanted to stop the bullying.

Its definitely a male female thing and not just cycling for sure.
My partner comes home with stories daily of similar sexist remarks, some downright slopply slob behaviour from those who are trying for a team leaders job :x

Is being called a strapping man by someone half your age bad, no its more a compliment I think, happened recently to me.
There is no equivalent the other way round is there without sounding sexist?

Male commuters nod at best and females smile.
Interestingly I had a puncture on grass verge, A female cyclist stopped to offer help and chat, another female driver conversed out of the passenger window offering help within minutes, that's probably more coincidence....................

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 15 May 2017, 8:19am

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I never suggested it was an equivalent problem in numeric terms.

However, in terms of embarrassment and discomfort caused it is perfectly equivalent.

The difference being he odd bampot versus a society of them. Occasional sexist jibes, though unpleasant for men when they happen, isn't endemic enough to put men as a whole off cycling.

Does your unpleasant incident put you in the position of I absolutely dread in summer cycling along and then finding queues of slow moving traffic that Im undertaking because theres a gap big enough to make progress through on a bike, as I know the passenger window will be fully down and i'll be given the full repertoire of sexual come ons, abuse, lewd comments at best, and worst case theyll either try to physically touch me (slap or pinch my ass) or actually try to grab the bike? I suspect not.

In other words, it's not really an issue for men cycling as whole. But it appears it is for women. For a further example, see https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/may/05/sexual-assault-in-the-saddle-why-it-sucks-to-be-a-woman-cyclist-sometimes

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

orangebiker

Postby orangebiker » 15 May 2017, 3:27pm

I'm a youngish woman of average build and I cycle daily, sometimes in lycra sometimes in normal clothes (not in London though). I also run a lot, wearing shorts.

In the last 10 years I've had perhaps 2 wolf whistles aimed at me. The experience mentioned by someone above of dreading cycling past a queue of traffic is something I don't recognise at all! I cycle past queues of traffic pretty much every day and don't recall anyone ever saying anything out of a window.

I have had plenty of general anti-cycling abuse over the years (mostly when in lycra clad groups) and occasional comments from groups of kids but nothing that I'd really class as sexist. Amongst many female and male cycling friends it's something that is never really discussed either - although people constantly moan about bad driving and other irritants.

Maybe London is worse than elsewhere?

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 15 May 2017, 11:32pm

I don't commute / ride in London but have done so in other towns and cities, both home and abroad. yes have had some jibes that are sexual in nature but not usually so offensive that I felt threatened or unsafe... as it was usually good natured and the perps were either on their way or i had quickly passed them (in the case of pedestrians). I am more concerned about the less than good natured abuse from angry motorist who does not like the fact that we just so happen to be on the road....
The male / female type glances / comments are less often now than they used to be, but the angry motorist comments are increasing. Is that cos I am a little bit older? Or just that is how the world is...
I do know that generally, once I am out of 'winter longs' and more general winter cycling clothes, and into shorts and short sleeves.... I do seem to be more visible to at least half of the driving population...

I have never felt unsafe by stupid comments.... and usually just ignore it as 'boys will be boys'

Have once had a slap on the bottom by a passenger in a passing car, the traffic was just slow enough for me to get to the reg... so i immediately went to the nearest police station and reported it... where it was taken extremely seriously.

I guess if you are recieving such a lot of abuse you could use some cameras.. probably need both rear and forward facing ones..... a forward facing one will not pick up someone touching you from behind.... in the case above, despite being pulled in by the police, they could do nothing as there was no evidence...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

gaz

Postby gaz » 16 May 2017, 8:38pm

Just a quick note to say that the OP would appear to be a journalist conducting research.

https://twitter.com/WeAreCyclingUK/stat ... 4891776000
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...