Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

MikeF

Re: Has anyone received comments when commuting ?

Postby MikeF » 29 May 2017, 5:38pm

"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

hondated

Postby hondated » 9 Jul 2017, 5:51pm

awavey wrote:look, youll never know for sure why someone shouted something at you whilst riding a bike unless you ever get to meet them again and question them on it and half the time they probably wouldnt even know themselves,so it might be because they were anti cyclist or sexist, racist, homophobic, anti religion, whatever its a big glorious venn diagram of intersecting things of all of their prejudices some of which may or may not apply to you.

all I know from my own experience on the road as a women just riding a bike, as I mentioned in the similar thread in "On the Road", is comments, abuse, hassle, heckles however you want to describe it, is a fairly regular occurence for me, as I know it is for other female riders who Im friends with

and whilst having discussed it many a time with male colleagues at work who ride bikes, yes obviously they get abusive comments too,some of which are occasionally as bad or as fruity, its not to the same frequency and its not to the same kind of level of the stuff that women seem to have to put up as par for the course

I absolutely dread in summer cycling along and then finding queues of slow moving traffic that Im undertaking because theres a gap big enough to make progress through on a bike, as I know the passenger window will be fully down and i'll be given the full repertoire of sexual come ons, abuse, lewd comments at best, and worst case theyll either try to physically touch me (slap or pinch my ass) or actually try to grab the bike, and thats not supposition Ive encountered examples of all those at least once.

only last week I stopped at traffic light pedestrian crossing at the front of the queue on a road Id only just turned onto so no prior interaction with any of the traffic,and the car that ended up behind me then deliberately pulled alongside me and actually broke the crossing and centre line of the road, just so the passenger could lean out of the car and have a "chat" level with me on the bike, like I was just in a nightclub on a Saturday night looking for a date, fortunately the traffic light then went green quite quickly and I was able to retort that they ought to spend more time watching the road, than trying to bother me and chat me up and they were holding everyone up, and rode off.

If you go onto YouTube and put in perhaps angry female cyclist London hopefully you will find a video of a young girl on a bike being insulted by a couple of fella's in a van. I wont ruin it for you but its got a great ending.
If I can find it I will put a link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIa94J9cKoA

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 9 Jul 2017, 6:00pm

Hi,
Luv it :lol:
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

mjr

Postby mjr » 10 Jul 2017, 5:19pm

MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

hondated

Postby hondated » 11 Jul 2017, 2:45pm

mjr wrote:That's a fake

Well I never ! Thanks mjr entertaining then and quite pleased it was fake as rather that than a young girl having to face this in real life.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Jul 2017, 4:03pm

Hi,

After seeing some more vids after that its obvious that there is a lot of it around.
I did think later that it was staged, er indoors said would the mirror of come off so easily...
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....

mjr

Postby mjr » 11 Jul 2017, 5:50pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

After seeing some more vids after that its obvious that there is a lot of it around.
I did think later that it was staged, er indoors said would the mirror of come off so easily...

Actually, I found that bit OK - as I understand it ;-) they're not that hard to break but she does seem to know exactly how to yank it. The more suspicious bits are the camera bike positionings and who released the video and how.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 16 Jul 2017, 7:51pm

mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Actually, I found that bit OK - as I understand it ;-) they're not that hard to break but she does seem to know exactly how to yank it. The more suspicious bits are the camera bike positionings and who released the video and how.

Agreed, plus the lack of clothing when everyone seems to be dressed for a winter's day.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 16 Jul 2017, 9:43pm

Hi,
After the posted vid there was more, I saw a guy getting in front of a super sports car.......................he then appeared later on in the vid in another incident :?

A bit to obvious that it was staged.

I wasn't worrying about any morals in posted vid, just amused at the outcome............in my imagination a brick would be my friend :mrgreen:

Return to “Women's cycling interests”