A decent saddle.

Flinders

Re: A decent saddle.

Postby Flinders » 29 Sep 2017, 8:06pm

Bill Reynolds wrote:The above messages are counter productive. After decades of trying to get/find a cycle saddle to allow me to cycle in comfort despite my post accident problems, I found bliss in buying the mentioned Hobson saddle. Despite a worsening situation regarding my hips the Hobson saddles I have fitted to my cycles continue to do what they claim to do....allow me to use normal shorts and trousers in great comfort. If people have a desire to use 'normal' saddles, then please carry on, I only know what I find from using the mentioned saddle!

Your thread title didn't say 'Hobson saddles' it just said 'a decent saddle' so some of us were suggesting saddles we found decent. I for one was only trying to be helpful and was very grateful for colin's post. :(
For anyone interested, the selle italia is working out well so far. And colin's guide was invaluable in checking it's position. It showed me that my my own riding position had been wrong, and I'm doing much better now I have changed it. It got me at least an extra mph or two on my rides this week. :D

KtCycles

Postby KtCycles » 30 Sep 2017, 5:23pm

Apologies if i'm repeating something hidden lower down, but a lady who came out on a Breeze ride a while back rides with a fractured coxix using one of those saddles with two shifting plates for the sitbones. She loves it, and it certainly enables her to ride in comfort. Bigger picture though, there are a few specific other aspects of your bike set-up that it's always worth checking before you go and spend ££s on another saddle. 1) the distance from the handlebars, as you can slide your saddle backwards or forwards to adjust your sitting position minutely; 2) check the tilt of the saddle, as you can also adjust this (in my experience, even a small change to the tilt can make a difference); 3) also check the length/angle of the stem that fits your handlebars to the headset, as you can change that to make it slightly longer or shorter (you'll need to buy a new stem on some bikes) and you may be able to adjust the height of the bars too. 4) Saddle height too. All these things affect the pressure and angle of your sitting apparatus where simply buying a new saddle may not make as much of a change as you think. Some bikes shops may be able to point you towards bike fitting sessions if you're having real trouble and want to look further before you buy.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 4 Oct 2017, 6:48pm

Flinders wrote:Colin, that guide is wonderful, so thorough and sensible, thank you so much. :D
It's basically all the good advice I wasted days digging out from all over the place in one document, plus a lot of other really useful stuff I didn't know about and which wasn't mentioned anywhere I looked. I was especially interested in what you say about the bumbones being closer together if you lean more forward- I was wondering why on my new saddle I was comfortable with its width once I got into my usual forward position but had felt it might be a bit narrow when sitting up still on the turbo.

Your guide is worth a read for anyone, and especially so for anyone setting up a bike or a saddle.

In my case, my saddle height is limited at the low end because it's already as low as the frame will allow on an XXS frame- I'm a 5' tall female with proportionately short legs, who needs a longish stem for a back that's easily as long as the back of someone anything up to about 8" taller. Your point about problems with small frames is well made, and appreciated; few other people seem to be aware of it.

The advice about riding bumps is interesting, as a horse rider I realise I do that 'weight mostly but not all out of the saddle' and 'fore and aft' balancing automatically on the bike, just as I would riding on rough ground to keep my weight off the horse's back and free its legs to balance.

Glad you found it useful.
Theres a wonderful 3D model of pelvic bone structure here http://anatomyzone.com/3d_atlas/musculoskeletal/pelvis/pelvic-bone/, quite worth a play!

Return to “Women's cycling interests”