Chafing from padded shorts

clouds

Chafing from padded shorts

Postby clouds » 13 Sep 2018, 1:18pm

I've just recently bought my first ever road bike and started cycling longer distances, so bought some padded leggings. However, I'm very small and finding the padding between my legs too wide, so it's rubbing quite badly. Have now reverted to my normal leggings. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any brands that do padded leggings with a narrower gusset?

I know I could get chamois cream or change the seat but I think the issue is actually with these leggings and not the seat. Maybe I should just not bother with the padding at all?!

pjclinch

Re: Chafing from padded shorts

Postby pjclinch » 13 Sep 2018, 2:16pm

Have a look at this video at 5:16, this being Emma Pooley who happens to be quite small...

So yes, there are certainly different flavours available, though in the case of Assos I'm afraid they ain't cheap...

Cream almost certainly not the main answer: that's to make something good even better, you shouldn't need it just to make life tolerable. That's not to say you wouldn't benefit from some on longer rides, but it shouldn't be something you use to make any ride tolerable.

Doing without padding... not everybody bothers. For long rides I cheat and use a recumbent with a big comfy chair, but if I'm on an upwrong I find that with a saddle well suited to my anatomy (in my personal case a Brooks B17) I really don't get much benefit from padding up to a couple of hours. Longer than that and things start announcing they'd like some more padding. If you find you're quite comfy without it then what you're wanting is comfy and you're already there. If you get off in no hurry to sit down for a while then something that's you-shaped will probably be a benefit.

I can't be any use recommending a supplier of different pads, I'm afraid.

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 15 Sep 2018, 10:21am, edited 2 times in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

clouds

Postby clouds » 13 Sep 2018, 3:16pm

That's useful thanks!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 14 Sep 2018, 5:58pm

useful response already. Also make sure the padding is female specific. Padding is differently shaped.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 17 Sep 2018, 9:48am

clouds wrote:I've just recently bought my first ever road bike and started cycling longer distances, so bought some padded leggings. However, I'm very small and finding the padding between my legs too wide, so it's rubbing quite badly. Have now reverted to my normal leggings. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any brands that do padded leggings with a narrower gusset?

I know I could get chamois cream or change the seat but I think the issue is actually with these leggings and not the seat. Maybe I should just not bother with the padding at all?!

My partner is very small. She has a similar issue - the pads too fat/wide. She recently bought some shorts from Botranger which seem narrower and less bulky than some other options, and was sufficiently impressed over half a dozen rides to go back to the shop and buy a second pair.

Price was somewhere around £30-£40 in an outdoor and bike shop.