What is stopping women from cycling?

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 446
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby 100%JR » 12 Oct 2018, 1:41pm

Is this a Geographical thing?
I see plenty of women of varying ages out on bikes.One of the CCs I'm a member of/ride with has a large Female presence.The group I ride with usually has 4 regular Ladies aged 20-50 most Sundays.The other groups also have a similar number.When not Club riding my usual riding partner is a Lady(39).
I celebrated my 50th in Mallorca earlier this year.There were around 30 riders from four local clubs there and 7 of those were Women.
Just over the border in W.Yorks there are two very large CCs each having a very large Female membership and both having Ladies only rides/events but both promoting mixed riding.My son is a member of one of these CCs and Girls/Ladies Racing is a massive part of both CCs across all disciplines 8)
Depend on which CC I ride with we cover The Peak District,North,South,East and West Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire and I see Women on bikes everywhere.I doubt it's a 50/50 split,possibly 30/70 but they are out there 8)
We also have a the Trans-Pennine Trail close by.I can get on it about a mile away and ride out to a place called Dunford Bridge on the disused Railway.It's a round trip of about 24 miles and I see Girls/Ladies of all ages on various styles of bikes any day of the week.
it might be a Yorkshire/Northern thing but from what I can see there are plenty on Women out there riding!

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 10804
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby mjr » 12 Oct 2018, 9:19pm

100%JR wrote:Is this a Geographical thing?
I see plenty of women of varying ages out on bikes.One of the CCs I'm a member of/ride with has a large Female presence.The group I ride with usually has 4 regular Ladies aged 20-50 most Sundays.

Unless it's a group of 8, that's not a large female presence. Similarly, 7 out of 30 and 30-70 are both imbalanced.

The group I usually ride with is usually around 50-50, but it's often not that big, especially in winter.

I agree about seeing plenty of women cycling around here in the east too in general, but it's still not 50-50, so something is amiss.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 446
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby 100%JR » 12 Oct 2018, 11:13pm

mjr wrote:
100%JR wrote:Is this a Geographical thing?
I see plenty of women of varying ages out on bikes.One of the CCs I'm a member of/ride with has a large Female presence.The group I ride with usually has 4 regular Ladies aged 20-50 most Sundays.

Unless it's a group of 8, that's not a large female presence. Similarly, 7 out of 30 and 30-70 are both imbalanced.

The group I usually ride with is usually around 50-50, but it's often not that big, especially in winter.

I agree about seeing plenty of women cycling around here in the east too in general, but it's still not 50-50, so something is amiss.

The club has a large female membership in general.Our group is usually 8-10 riders.The other two groups are similar sized.So it’s usually 40/60 or 50/50.One week there were four women and only two men!
7 out of 30 is not far off 25% and could easily have been higher.
The ratio of female/male riders on the roads in Mallorca was probably 50/50 so we do need to catch up.At the cafe on Col de Sa Battalla there were dozens of female riders of various nationalities including British.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 15683
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Vorpal » 12 Oct 2018, 11:39pm

In the Netherlands, more women than men cycle.

In the UK, significantly more men than women cycle, and they do so for more miles per year.

On average, in England (2016):

Each person made 15 trips by cycle during the year (all age groups) (NTS 0409); and cycled 53 miles (NTS 0605);
Each person made 954 trips by 'all modes' (i.e. car, public transport, walking etc.), which means that cycling accounted for 1.5% of all trips (NTS 0409);
Car/van drivers made 389 car trips (NTS 0409); and drove 3,289 miles (NTS 0605);
The average length of a cycle trip was three and a half miles, while the average length of a car trip was about eight and a half miles (NTS 0306):


In (2014/16), males aged 5+ made three times as many cycle trips as females (27 as opposed to nine) (NTS 0609);
Males also cycled over four times as many miles (87 as opposed to 20 for females) (NTS 0605):


from https://www.cyclinguk.org/resources/cyc ... statistics

By contrast, in the Netherlands, 27% of trips are made by bike, and 55% of cycling trips by women.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 1850
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby TrevA » 6 Nov 2018, 4:09pm

My club has around 42% female membership out of 110 members. That's around 50 lady members. They do like to have their own rides - there's a Breeze ride on a Thursday night, a Ladies daytime ride on Fridays and a further Ladies ride on Sundays.
Even within the Ladies rides, there are 2 or 3 speed groups - Breeze group at around 10mph, a Steady group at 12-14mph and an Inters group at 14-16mph. They all meet up at the cafe. This caters for most types of rider and also gives a progression for those who want to get fitter and faster. The Ladies also do the mixed rides which are on Tuesday evenings, Wednesday mornings and Saturdays, which again mostly have different speed groups.

I think it helps that we live in a small market town/large village, with good access to the countryside without having to ride on main roads at all.

This shows that if you provide the Ladies with the right type of riding environment, they will do group rides.

eileithyia
Posts: 7588
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby eileithyia » 10 Nov 2018, 10:12pm

Today i was on a ladies' ride with a lady who came out with us for the first time. A bit of encouragement helped her up one of the steeper hills. She was then telling me how her now ex partner undermined her confidence, never gave helpful advise etc.... no wonder he is now an ex. This is the seond time I have heard such a tale this year. Today Marie admitted she would not have opted to go up a particular hill but would have chosen a different route and instead, got a massive confidence boost.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Altissima
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 Jun 2016, 12:11pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Altissima » 12 Nov 2018, 11:25pm

What puts me off joining a group ride is past experience of (in a mainly male group) being patronised and treated to sexist comments. I know that not all men act this way but if I could find a group of mainly female cyclists I would be happy. Until then I will carry on riding with my partner or on my own.

Jo

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 446
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby 100%JR » 13 Nov 2018, 12:12am

Obviously only relevant if you're around the West/North Yorkshire/Wetherby area but this all-female CC seems to be doing OK
https://yorkshirelasscc.co.uk/
Almost 130 members but is affiliated with British Cycling which isn't everyones cup of Tea.

eileithyia
Posts: 7588
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby eileithyia » 14 Nov 2018, 8:21am

Altissima wrote:What puts me off joining a group ride is past experience of (in a mainly male group) being patronised and treated to sexist comments. I know that not all men act this way but if I could find a group of mainly female cyclists I would be happy. Until then I will carry on riding with my partner or on my own.

Jo


There are a lot of women mostly based cycle groups starting (started) up all over the country.... what area do you live... as there might be some in your area. There are quite a few around Manchester, Sheffield, Yorks, Midlands.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

cotterpins
Posts: 117
Joined: 6 Apr 2016, 9:38pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby cotterpins » 18 Nov 2018, 1:45pm

This is 21st Century. Nothing stops women cycling . . . only women themselves! All the reasons put forward make a grand forum topic. But at the end of the day [where have I heard that before?] if they want to . . . they will!

Altissima
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 Jun 2016, 12:11pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Altissima » 18 Nov 2018, 2:22pm

eileithyia wrote:
Altissima wrote:What puts me off joining a group ride is past experience of (in a mainly male group) being patronised and treated to sexist comments. I know that not all men act this way but if I could find a group of mainly female cyclists I would be happy. Until then I will carry on riding with my partner or on my own.

Jo


There are a lot of women mostly based cycle groups starting (started) up all over the country.... what area do you live... as there might be some in your area. There are quite a few around Manchester, Sheffield, Yorks, Midlands.


Hi, I am based in the Midlands and could join a group in either Leicester or Nottingham.
Thanks
Jo

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 1850
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby TrevA » 18 Nov 2018, 5:17pm

Altissima wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
Altissima wrote:What puts me off joining a group ride is past experience of (in a mainly male group) being patronised and treated to sexist comments. I know that not all men act this way but if I could find a group of mainly female cyclists I would be happy. Until then I will carry on riding with my partner or on my own.

Jo


There are a lot of women mostly based cycle groups starting (started) up all over the country.... what area do you live... as there might be some in your area. There are quite a few around Manchester, Sheffield, Yorks, Midlands.


Hi, I am based in the Midlands and could join a group in either Leicester or Nottingham.
Thanks
Jo


My club is based in Bingham about 10 miles east of Nottingham and just off the A46. We have a thriving women's section with Women only rides on Thursday evenings in the summer, Friday daytime and Sunday mornings all year round. The club has around 50 women members. There are plenty of women out on the other rides too - Tuesday evenings durng the summer and Saturday mornings all year round.

brynpoeth
Posts: 7425
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby brynpoeth » 18 Nov 2018, 5:25pm

Women-only rides? Are there men-only rides too?
Cycling - of course, but it is far better on a Gillott..alternative facts welcome

awavey
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Jul 2016, 12:04am

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby awavey » 18 Nov 2018, 11:02pm

brynpoeth wrote:Women-only rides? Are there men-only rides too?


every ride is a men only ride when a woman doesnt feel welcomed to join in

Altissima
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 Jun 2016, 12:11pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Altissima » 19 Nov 2018, 9:33am

TrevA wrote:
Altissima wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
There are a lot of women mostly based cycle groups starting (started) up all over the country.... what area do you live... as there might be some in your area. There are quite a few around Manchester, Sheffield, Yorks, Midlands.


Hi, I am based in the Midlands and could join a group in either Leicester or Nottingham.
Thanks
Jo


My club is based in Bingham about 10 miles east of Nottingham and just off the A46. We have a thriving women's section with Women only rides on Thursday evenings in the summer, Friday daytime and Sunday mornings all year round. The club has around 50 women members. There are plenty of women out on the other rides too - Tuesday evenings durng the summer and Saturday mornings all year round.


That sounds really interesting. I will have a look. Thank you