Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 15 May 2019, 2:39pm

Does anyone have a review of the Ridgeback Velocity Open Frame 2020? I need a small light weight from with lots of gears for a hilly town. Any advice from users on types and makes £500 top budget.Thanks

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2098
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby TrevA » 17 May 2019, 6:36pm

My wife has a Trek FX2 Stagger hybrid with disc brakes - £450 - it’s got 24 gears, though it’s no lightweight at 11.5 kilos. She likes it because of the brakes and upright riding position.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-2-d ... e-EV340591

Doesn’t come with mudguards or a rack but they can be easily fitted.

pal
Posts: 372
Joined: 22 Mar 2008, 11:49am

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby pal » 17 May 2019, 9:43pm

I can't offer advice on the Ridgeback Velocity, sorry (though generally I'm a fan of Ridgeback bikes). But Cycle Surgery currently have some heavily discounted small & extra-small Marin Fairfaxes: pretty light (aluminium frame and fork, so the ride is a little bit bumpy, but not unbearably so); good brakes; plenty of gears (and the bottom gear, I think, is a little bit lower than the Ridgeback's). (I got it as my around-town bike for cycling in Durham, and it's just the thing for going up -- and down! -- the hills here). https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/marin-fa ... 14220.html

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 27 May 2019, 9:56pm

TrevA wrote:My wife has a Trek FX2 Stagger hybrid with disc brakes - £450 - it’s got 24 gears, though it’s no lightweight at 11.5 kilos. She likes it because of the brakes and upright riding position.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-2-d ... e-EV340591

Doesn’t come with mudguards or a rack but they can be easily fitted.


Thamks good advice

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 27 May 2019, 9:57pm

Thanks much appreciated

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 27 May 2019, 10:01pm

pal wrote:I can't offer advice on the Ridgeback Velocity, sorry (though generally I'm a fan of Ridgeback bikes). But Cycle Surgery currently have some heavily discounted small & extra-small Marin Fairfaxes: pretty light (aluminium frame and fork, so the ride is a little bit bumpy, but not unbearably so); good brakes; plenty of gears (and the bottom gear, I think, is a little bit lower than the Ridgeback's). (I got it as my around-town bike for cycling in Durham, and it's just the thing for going up -- and down! -- the hills here). https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/marin-fa ... 14220.html


Thanks Much appreciated

Tyre Lady
Posts: 115
Joined: 31 Jan 2019, 10:53pm
Contact:

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Tyre Lady » 28 May 2019, 11:07pm

Maybe can purchase a preloved / second hand bicycle? Just a thought - the "waste recycling" centres seem to have a lot of bicycles being thrown out, and is an opportunity to learn about how to maintain a bicycle.

I rode a 2nd hand man's bicycle and loved it. The major thing for me was changing the seat to one that suited my shape. This has probably been the most important factor for my journey.
Low carbon, zero waste running journey

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 6 Jun 2019, 10:25am

TrevA wrote:My wife has a Trek FX2 Stagger hybrid with disc brakes - £450 - it’s got 24 gears, though it’s no lightweight at 11.5 kilos. She likes it because of the brakes and upright riding position.

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-2-d ... e-EV340591

Doesn’t come with mudguards or a rack but they can be easily fitted.


Thanks much appreciated
Last edited by Mary-ann on 6 Jun 2019, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 6 Jun 2019, 10:26am

Tyre Lady wrote:Maybe can purchase a preloved / second hand bicycle? Just a thought - the "waste recycling" centres seem to have a lot of bicycles being thrown out, and is an opportunity to learn about how to maintain a bicycle.

I rode a 2nd hand man's bicycle and loved it. The major thing for me was changing the seat to one that suited my shape. This has probably been the most important factor for my journey.


Thanks much appreciated

Mary-ann
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2019, 2:32pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Mary-ann » 6 Jun 2019, 10:28am

Tyre Lady wrote:Maybe can purchase a preloved / second hand bicycle? Just a thought - the "waste recycling" centres seem to have a lot of bicycles being thrown out, and is an opportunity to learn about how to maintain a bicycle.

I rode a 2nd hand man's bicycle and loved it. The major thing for me was changing the seat to one that suited my shape. This has probably been the most important factor for my journey.


Thanks much appreciated

Hazz
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Sep 2019, 12:21pm

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Hazz » 12 Sep 2019, 12:28pm

Hi,

I’m interested in knowing what you went for as have a very similar question - I’m trying to buy a hybrid under 350 ish, and am struggling now know how to choose. I’m currently thinking of the decathalon riverside 500, the pinnacle lithium 2020 or the ridgeback comet. I’m pretty short (5.2, short limbs) and am going to be using it mainly for commuting 7 miles each way in traffic, though would like to go for occasional longer rides at weekends.
Any thoughts would be great
Thanks!

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17045
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Advice for buying a women’s Hybrid Bike

Postby Vorpal » 13 Sep 2019, 9:37am

Hazz wrote:Hi,

I’m interested in knowing what you went for as have a very similar question - I’m trying to buy a hybrid under 350 ish, and am struggling now know how to choose. I’m currently thinking of the decathalon riverside 500, the pinnacle lithium 2020 or the ridgeback comet. I’m pretty short (5.2, short limbs) and am going to be using it mainly for commuting 7 miles each way in traffic, though would like to go for occasional longer rides at weekends.
Any thoughts would be great
Thanks!

For new bikes, I generally think well of the Decathlon and Ridgeback bikes, as long as you avoid the very cheapest. There are several threads about various incarnations of the Pinnacle. This one probably has the most information viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130598&p=1363384&hilit=pinnacle+lithium#p1363384

this one includes some other suggestions that may be suitable... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108444&hilit=pinnacle+lithium

But, you will get better value for money from a second hand bike. You can try one of the bike recycling centres

https://www.cyclinguk.org/recycling-centres
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom