Elinor Barker

eileithyia

Elinor Barker

Postby eileithyia » 23 Nov 2019, 9:00am

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Spinners

Re: Elinor Barker

Postby Spinners » 23 Nov 2019, 1:04pm

Fair play to her. That's ridiculously early to suffer from endometriosis and to win all those titles whilst enduring all that pain and discomfort shows a real fighting spirit. Mrs. Spinners went through something similar (fibroids) during her menopause and we were lucky in that my employer provided BUPA as a benefit to me and my family so that, once diagnosed by the NHS, she was in for an operation within weeks and made an excellent recovery.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

awavey

Re: Elinor Barker

Postby awavey » 26 Nov 2019, 8:52pm

I dont understand though, given youd think the setup they work and live in surrounded by people looking for the marginal gains in everything, that it took so long to identify and treat properly for her.

I mean the 7 year average they quote is about the average women living her everyday life with all kinds of competing demands and just assuming intense period pains,or monthly pain is normal and not bothering to discuss it with their GP or friends, but to be surrounded by people who are measuring literally every heartbeat and breath she takes, and they still didnt think it was odd she was in that much pain going to her doctor weekly :shock:

but then you read the other article they published this week about "project ouch",
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... -priority/

Vicky P was complaining about this kind of stuff 10 years ago that they needed specific gender based kit and proper bike fits,kit makers got on board with it at least post 2012 olympics, so how is the British cycling team & their sponsors still not up to scratch with it ? I mean I can put the bikini wax stuff down to the naivety of youth, but I cant believe we have professional riders who still think they need to wear underwear with padded cycle shorts, or that saddle pain is normal.