What type of bike?

Bonefishblues

Re: What type of bike?

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 Jul 2017, 8:47am

Yes, almost certainly, but that's a good tyre with a high tpi count and will roll well as-is, so be careful what they offer as an alternative as it might not necessarily be better. They do a 37c in the same tyre which might be the sweet spot, perhaps.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 27 Jul 2017, 8:52am

You don't say how old your boy is, remember this is temporary, as he should be moving to a bike seat in a relative short time span, though we did move between trailer and bike seat according to weather.
Son was born in July, in trailer by August, bike seat by following Easter but often back in trailer if weather cold and inclement. Back to trailer for the following winter.

Trailers can be a beast, we found they were a serious dead weight when up hill so definitely need low gears, would endorse some of the comments so far, MTB/Hybrid, have a look around local bike shops and or Decathlon who do some very well specced bikes for not a lot of money. Certainly a tourer as minimum and not a light weight road bike. Also consider if the bike will easily carry that bike seat.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 27 Jul 2017, 12:53pm

Dawesboi wrote:The £315 Pinnacle looks pick of the bunch at the moment. Tyres are a bit on the chunky side though, at 42. Are Evans likely to offer a swap to something skinnier instead?

I ride 40s on my tourer, as long as it's a good high pressure 40 (and it is) that won't make for very much slower than skinnier fare as long as you pump them up well. And you can let a bit out off-road or for more suspension effect without worrying about the rims.

I'd look at definitely mudguards (or the passenger will get sprayed) on top of the basic spec. While there's the trailer for extras, a rack gives you luggage options without it. Plenty of folk use rucksacks, but I'm a firm believer in letting the frame you've just paid all that money for take the weight.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Dawesboi

Postby Dawesboi » 27 Jul 2017, 7:39pm

Well events have somewhat overtaken me on this one :)
She's gone and bought a secondhand road bike from the local shop, says it fitted like a glove and she loves it. Lowest gear is only 34 on the front, so I don't know how this is going to work out, but hey ho! Apparently I am still going to be doing most od the towing :D

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 28 Jul 2017, 8:26am

Dawesboi wrote:Well events have somewhat overtaken me on this one :)
She's gone and bought a secondhand road bike from the local shop, says it fitted like a glove and she loves it. Lowest gear is only 34 on the front, so I don't know how this is going to work out, but hey ho! Apparently I am still going to be doing most od the towing :D

You have, c/o your wife, just entered the Wonderful World of n+1... :wink:
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...