Womens Winter Shoes

KTHSullivan

Womens Winter Shoes

Postby KTHSullivan » 2 Jan 2018, 3:03pm

Has anyone got some measured advice on women's specific cycling shoes? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

KTHS
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

Flinders

Re: Womens Winter Shoes

Postby Flinders » 2 Jan 2018, 6:48pm

Not wanting to be awkward here, but what exactly are you looking for? Waterproof, or just warm, SPD, or what?

Also, what do you mean by women-specific? I find as a female that it's best to try the shoe/boot on and check the fit, I have only found 'male or female' matters in walking boots, and even then in the past I've often found a specific mens' boot by one manufacturer to be a better fit than any of the ladies' ones.

For real winter rides at this time of year I have these:
http://road.cc/content/review/73735-shi ... nter-boots
but the current equivalent looks to be this:
PD-M8020
which is laced inside rather than the cross-over velcro on mine.

I find mine very warm and dry on the country lanes in the wet, and the bootish sole means I can walk a bit if I have to carry my (road) bike on grass or whatever for any reason.
I found the advice from others that it's wise to get a size larger than you usually take in shoes with the MW81sto be spot-on, and I have read the same about the replacement model. They aren't women-specific, but they fit me fine.

Debs

Postby Debs » 2 Jan 2018, 7:51pm

Cycling shoes [or boots] really need to be tried on in the LBS, and only consider buying if they fit perfect.
For winter shoe shopping in your LBS go with a thicker/longer warm woolly sock that you can put on when trying on shoes you intend to use in winter.

I find good cycling shoes will last for many years if looked after, so be picky and careful what you buy, don't buy any shoe that feels compromised in some way - even if it's a good brand, nice design and on half price offer. They need to fit perfect.

As far as winter is concerned, this year i've been pleasantly surprised how good shoe-covers are, they keep the shoes clean, feet warmer and dryer.
I have a pair of black shoe covers, and for the gloomy winter months a pair of these bobby dazzlers: :D

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 3 Jan 2018, 11:24am

Flinders wrote:Also, what do you mean by women-specific? I find as a female that it's best to try the shoe/boot on and check the fit, I have only found 'male or female' matters in walking boots, and even then in the past I've often found a specific mens' boot by one manufacturer to be a better fit than any of the ladies' ones.

I agree with this, but I find that most of the men's cycling shoes don't go down to my size 5. The few ladies' shoes available tend to be white or pink which quickly get very grubby if you are an all-year-round cyclist in a wet climate.

As I use toeclips I don't actually need cycle-specific shoes so long as they have a reasonably stiff sole. I've see "skate shoes" recommended but again the black ones for men are always too big for me.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 3 Jan 2018, 11:56am

KTHSullivan wrote:Has anyone got some measured advice on women's specific cycling shoes? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

KTHS

Try Decathlon, if you have one near you. They have shoes in a variety of fits/shapes, and a better selection of women's or smaller sizes than many local shops.

I agree with the advice above to try them. Cycling shoes tend to run narrow and/or small.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

KTHSullivan

Postby KTHSullivan » 3 Jan 2018, 3:40pm

Many thanks everyone for the replies, I am running into the problem trying to get some warm and preferably water tight-ish shoes for my partner. (birthday present) Many of the manufacturers as mentioned seem to stop producing winter boot type shoes around about size 5/6 (UK). She normally runs to a 4 (UK); and we have rationalised all our cleat types to SPD. (both sick of the road shoe, look cleat waddle). We are both of an age where the old plastic bag trick does not cut the mustard anymore and despite neoprene over boots her toes still take an age to thaw out. I think a trip to the LBS is in order. Many thanks again.

KTHS
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 3 Jan 2018, 7:10pm

The new ones I mentioned (sorry gave the wrong code, correct one is the first one below) where you need to go a size up are made down to 38, roughly a 5- so if she is a 4, the 5 might be the right size anyway. I take a 5 normally, but a 40 (6) in the ones I have is the right size. (I have narrow feet too.)

These are the updated versions of mine, laced, they would probably be a better fit than mine anyway:

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... ontentsPro

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... ontentsPro

Both are black, both go down to 38, no pink in sight!

RickH

Postby RickH » 3 Jan 2018, 11:18pm

My partner-in-crime on the tandem got some Specialized Defrosters (a predecessor of these). They go down to a 37 & seem to be effective at keeping wet & cold out. Clare's 2016 (I think) model do seem a little narrow round the ankle, unless you have slender, gazelle-like ankles then the ankle fastenings are near their limit. I don't know if that has changed in later models.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jan 2018, 6:55am

KTHSullivan wrote:Many thanks everyone for the replies, I am running into the problem trying to get some warm and preferably water tight-ish shoes for my partner. (birthday present) Many of the manufacturers as mentioned seem to stop producing winter boot type shoes around about size 5/6 (UK). She normally runs to a 4 (UK); and we have rationalised all our cleat types to SPD. (both sick of the road shoe, look cleat waddle). We are both of an age where the old plastic bag trick does not cut the mustard anymore and despite neoprene over boots her toes still take an age to thaw out. I think a trip to the LBS is in order. Many thanks again.

KTHS

If you buy them a little bigger than summer shoes, she can get thick socks, or even an extra pair on under the shoes. Also, don't buy them too tight; tight gets cold faster than something with a little room in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 5 Jan 2018, 7:49pm

Vorpal wrote:If you buy them a little bigger than summer shoes, she can get thick socks, or even an extra pair on under the shoes. Also, don't buy them too tight; tight gets cold faster than something with a little room in.

Seconded. You could also add a nice thermal insole.
I like thickish merino socks for the winter for cycling (but not as thick as thick hiking socks).
Just got a pair of 'in between' shoes for when the boots are overkill but the summer (actually spinning) shoes are a bit draughty, and I got (again) a 40 - a larger size than I take in shoes. I can't bear to have my toes restricted!

I'm inclined to think Shimano shoes (what my LBS stock) are a bit undersized for their size, if you see what I mean. The boot ones definitely are.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 15 Jan 2018, 1:31pm

Thirded, over sized shoes with thick(er) socks
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells