What is stopping women from cycling?

Carlton green

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Carlton green » 2 Aug 2019, 12:26pm

mercalia wrote:What is stopping women from cycling?

"About 50% fewer women than men cycle twice a week or more, according to transport charity Sustrans, and when it comes to cycling on the roads, the number drops again."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41737483

I really don’t know but observe that all the ladies in my family have at one time or other had a bike and ridden it, some still have bikes and they are gathering dust. My Mrs is happy to run on a tread mill but not happy to cycle up a hill, her attitude doesn’t make sense to me but I’m wise enough not to argue. She has mentioned that the seating area on a Lady’s bike creates challenges that men don’t face. I also wonder whether the physical effort required puts many ladies off of cycling and likewise vulnerability on the road. Perhaps it’s more of a U.K. thing, apparently a lot of Ladies cycle in Holland (but it is flat there and there are safe places to cycle).

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 3 Aug 2019, 5:10pm

It's as simple as this . . . if a woman wants to cycle, she'll obtain a cycle and go cycling. No mystery at all! My wife used to come cycling, then all of a sudden she gave it up. End of.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 3 Aug 2019, 7:52pm

No shortage of women on the london freecycle today.

(No i didn't do a percentage count)
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 3 Aug 2019, 7:53pm

cotterpins wrote:It's as simple as this . . . if a woman wants to cycle, she'll obtain a cycle and go cycling. No mystery at all! My wife used to come cycling, then all of a sudden she gave it up. End of.

Not arguing with you at all but out of interest why did she stop?
Sweep

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 3 Aug 2019, 8:26pm

Perhaps, if I did a fairer share of the household chores, she might have had more time. [Says he, looking furtively over his shoulder! . . . It's ok she's watching the box while she's doing the ironing.]

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 3 Aug 2019, 9:33pm

On the subject of women cycling, I've just been scanning a few pre-war cycle catalogues, one edition of "Awheel" displayed as many ladies with cycles as men. Every model displayed both male and female models and their cycles. Hercules, BSA, in fact all the catalogues displayed both models of cycle. In the 'fifties I only remember in both clubs I was in two ladies out on club runs . . . four lady members at most. Although, I don't know how many ladies cycling clubs there was around at that time. of course, in today's politically correct environment I doubt there could be single sex club . . . or could there?

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Aug 2019, 9:26am

cotterpins wrote:It's as simple as this . . . if a woman wants to cycle, she'll obtain a cycle and go cycling. No mystery at all! My wife used to come cycling, then all of a sudden she gave it up. End of.

But it's not as simple as that, because we don't have the conditions where as many women as might want to cycle do want to cycle. Compare and contrast the Netherlands, really not far away, where far more women want to cycle than they do here. The environment is such that more want to cycle, so assuming our women are broadly similar we have a problem in the way our cycling environment is set up, and something should probably be done about that.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 5 Aug 2019, 9:55am

"where far more women want to cycle" You're quote.
I've noticed that women who want to cycle in this country do!

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 5 Aug 2019, 10:01am

cotterpins wrote:"where far more women want to cycle" You're quote.

I wonder why so many more Dutch women than British want to cycle.
Is it genetic do you think?
Or is it the environment?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 5 Aug 2019, 10:10am

Mike Sales wrote:

Or indeed are there any other difference s between dutch and british women?
Always possible, for the world is not quite yet totally homogeneous.
If there are any such differences, should british women be "encouraged" to do as their dutch sisters do?
Sweep

cotterpins

Postby cotterpins » 5 Aug 2019, 10:35am

"Other" differences! Hmm. You're a very brave man!! :lol: :lol:

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Aug 2019, 11:06am

You have missed my point rather glaringly.

That point being that if there is a benign environment for women cycling (e.g., the NL) then lots of women want to cycle, much as the UK has a benign driving environment and lots of women want to drive (where "want" can mean stuff like "I do this because it's the only way I feel I can get all my stuff done").
In the UK relatively few women want to cycle because so many perceive the cycling environment as so hostile they do not want to use it. If this perception is at levels far greater than men (and it looks like it is) then we have an environment that discriminates against a lot of women (against a lot of men too, but not so markedly). That's something that needs to be changed.

That e.g. Katie Archibald is totally happy to ride a bike int he UK and thus proves it can be done if only you want to do it does not make it okay!

Pete.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Aug 2019, 11:07am

Sweep wrote:Or indeed are there any other difference s between dutch and british women?
Always possible, for the world is not quite yet totally homogeneous.

As the old joke has it, they're taller than us and their English is better...

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 6 Aug 2019, 6:16am

Mike Sales wrote:

My suspicion is that it’s environmental and it’s cultural. Large parts of the U.K. are hilly so much physical effort (and strength) is required to go up the hills and braking coming down them can need a good grip on the brakes too. The infrastructure to allow safe travel is mostly not here in the U.K. but the Dutch have ensured that they have the cycle paths. Critical mass will play a part too, because if a lady knows or sees another lady who cycles then they are more likely to do so themselves; additionally suppliers and manufacturers provide solutions for the female market when that market is large and already there. Bikes can be complex things that men typically seem happy to manage and women typically want to just use (if It doesn’t work easily for them, with their skill set, then they’ll use a different solution to getting about).

tony_mm

Postby tony_mm » 6 Aug 2019, 7:47am

Holland is a progressive country.
Here it is not. Women usually stay in their “traditional” roles.