What is stopping women from cycling?

Altissima

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Altissima » 7 Aug 2019, 4:57pm

I have, in the past, cycle commuted, day in day out in all weather, in all seasons. I have stopped doing it though for 2 reasons;
* my previously quiet lanes are now rat-runs with speeding and inconsiderate drivers
*lack of shower or changing facilities at work

I am a manager at work and when I want my team to adopt a new process I make it easy and remove obstacles to their progress. I can find a quieter road or off-road alternative for part of the way, so it's a part car/part bike commute but that's difficult and very time consuming. I can't provide a shower at work either, so the 2 obstacles combine to put me off. For the time being I am a car and on-foot commuter.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 10 Aug 2019, 9:32am

I am a manager at work and when I want my team to adopt a new process I make it easy and remove obstacles to their progress.

Some of the most sensible words I’ve seen for a while.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 10 Aug 2019, 12:50pm

My wife used to commute by bike to work. We lived approx 5 miles away and about 3 miles of that journey was on decent separate cycle paths. The rest on quiet roads. It took 20 minutes on the way in (mostly downhill) and 30 on the way home (mostly uphill). This was comparable to the car or bus journey.

Then we moved house and the new commute was a flat 10 miles. Still on decent cyclepaths and quiet lanes for the most part. But the equivalent car journey was still only 20 mins, as opposed to 45-50 on the bike. Given that she also had to have a shower and get changed when she got to work, the time difference was just too big. So she commuted by car. She is still a keen cyclist, doing 100-150 miles a week on leisure rides.

So the key to cycle commuting is equalising the time spent on the journey, or putting significant barriers to discourage driving. Most councils aren’t willing to do this, so people continue to commute by car.