What is stopping women from cycling?

landsurfer

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby landsurfer » 28 Apr 2018, 9:13am

How about ... cycling through Newlyn last summer.
Jules is on her e-bike.
She has a chronic ankle injury with considerable nerve damage and cannot cope with a standard bike.
At the traffic lights near the fish market a MAMIL in his Penzance Wheelers C.C. shirt shouts abuse at her for using an e-bike.
His fellow club mates all laugh at her.

What is stopping women from cycling ..... really are you serious .....

Despite the best efforts of the Penzance club Jules rides her beloved E-bike as often as she can, more often pedal powered than by the electric motor.
The Road Goes On Forever ...

Toffee

Postby Toffee » 28 Apr 2018, 11:12pm

landsurfer wrote:How about ... cycling through Newlyn last summer.
Jules is on her e-bike.
She has a chronic ankle injury with considerable nerve damage and cannot cope with a standard bike.
At the traffic lights near the fish market a MAMIL in his Penzance Wheelers C.C. shirt shouts abuse at her for using an e-bike.

Despite the best efforts of the Penzance club Jules rides her beloved E-bike as often as she can, more often pedal powered than by the electric motor.

What can you say to that? I have actually retyped this a few times but words don't really express the thoughts I have to say.

Humans really aren't the most diplomatic of species. Not the best words I have written but I have just got back from the pub.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 28 Apr 2018, 11:27pm

If it was me, I would contact the club and describe the situation, and my disappointment in their behaviour, and how poorly I think it reflects on them.

It shouldn't matter what someone rides or why.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 Apr 2018, 5:35am

Jules is on her e-bike.

Disgraceful,they ought to be ashamed of themselves.
I agree with Vorpal,make the club aware of your feelings.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 29 Apr 2018, 6:52am

How about ... cycling through Newlyn last summer.
Jules is on her e-bike.

Her best tactic would be to enroll and ride with them.It would be a real laugh and upstage their macho posing-especially if she got dolled up in garish lycra,shades and the other ephemera worn by such poseurs.

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 Apr 2018, 10:54am

Yeah, contact the club, open yourself to more abuse if the ***** run the club. That's always worked so well for me in the past :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 29 Apr 2018, 11:22am

Yeah, contact the club, open yourself to more abuse if the ***** run the club. That's always worked so well for me in the past :roll:

That would depend on the force of your personality-it would not work for the sensitive type but i would try this tactic.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 29 Apr 2018, 1:13pm

First off, it shouldn't take 'force of personality' to deal with a situation like that. Secondly, I have put up with plenty of crap from people in cycling clubs in the past, and I have no particular inclination to subject myself to more of it to make a point. It has nothing to do with sensitivity, and everything to do with having better things to do with my time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 29 Apr 2018, 7:12pm

Jules is on her e-bike.

-99, what a load of oafs
Is that a Cornish speciality? (Never been there. Think I will stick to Wales)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 Apr 2018, 9:27am

gnvgsos
At the top right of everyone else's post there's two white boxes one with ! In it the other with " in it.
When posting if you want to quote anyone from a previous post you simply click on the " box to quote them in your post so their post comes up in a seperate coloured box with who the person is you're posting next to it.
It saves you time and makes it immediately obvious to the forum who you're quoting :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 9 May 2018, 1:37pm

What a shame your friend got this response.
I confess we did see e-bikes as the 'lazy' persons way to cycle when they first came out... however would not laugh at anyone and as they have progressed have seen the real advantages....
When top Milk Race riders are using them as their health reduces ability to cycle distances previously cycled, e-bikes are a fantastic idea. And which ever way you look at more bikes, even e-bikes is one less car on the road...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 9 May 2018, 1:43pm

gnvqsos wrote:

That would depend on the force of your personality-it would not work for the sensitive type but i would try this tactic.

+1
Sweep

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 9 May 2018, 2:29pm

A Kendal based cycle club once rode past my family. One of the MAMILs shouted at my partner to "wear a effing helmet".

Not being one to give up the opportunity to discuss something with anyone (argue, arguments are called discussions in our house). Unfortunately not being the b fastest they were give before she could say anything. I was in my usual position on the road (a little ahead) but my brain didn't work fast enough to express my views on the guy. However the guy did get a few chuckles from his knuckle dragging mates.

Oh BTW I didn't have a helmet on and I am fast enough to keep up with those fat effers. Funny they said nothing to me.

Could it be my large frame and 90kg? I don't tend to get trouble from people. Gentle giant me. Except when red mist hits. I'm in your face when that happens. I must admit I was more angry than she was. Took me hours to calm down.

Just so you know, that helmet comment was not about helmets but about a misogynist putting down a female. The same thing with the OPs case. If anyone is a member of such a cycling club please confront any rider out on club runs with such an attitude. In fact bring it up at your AGM if necessary. Cycling should not be a refuge for knuckle draggers.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 May 2018, 2:49pm

Tangled Metal wrote:A Kendal based cycle club once rode past my family. One of the MAMILs shouted at my partner to "wear a effing helmet".

Not being one to give up the opportunity to discuss something with anyone (argue, arguments are called discussions in our house). Unfortunately not being the b fastest they were give before she could say anything. I was in my usual position on the road (a little ahead) but my brain didn't work fast enough to express my views on the guy. However the guy did get a few chuckles from his knuckle dragging mates.

Oh BTW I didn't have a helmet on and I am fast enough to keep up with those fat effers. Funny they said nothing to me.

Could it be my large frame and 90kg? I don't tend to get trouble from people. Gentle giant me. Except when red mist hits. I'm in your face when that happens. I must admit I was more angry than she was. Took me hours to calm down.

Just so you know, that helmet comment was not about helmets but about a misogynist putting down a female. The same thing with the OPs case. If anyone is a member of such a cycling club please confront any rider out on club runs with such an attitude. In fact bring it up at your AGM if necessary. Cycling should not be a refuge for knuckle draggers.

Agree,weight of number equalling the lowest common denominato /tribalism.
Sad innit?
Especially for grown men,watch any football crowd for a classic example :?
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 May 2018, 2:59pm

Vorpal wrote:First off, it shouldn't take 'force of personality' to deal with a situation like that. Secondly, I have put up with plenty of crap from people in cycling clubs in the past, and I have no particular inclination to subject myself to more of it to make a point. It has nothing to do with sensitivity, and everything to do with having better things to do with my time.

Exactly - I've rarely been accused of lacking force of personality or being "the sensitive type". I've more often been accused of being capable of starting a fight in an empty room... but I promise that I was really really really polite to the club concerned and was repaid with abuse involving several -isms.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.