What is stopping women from cycling?

mjr

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby mjr » 9 May 2018, 3:03pm

reohn2 wrote:It saves you time and makes it immediately obvious to the forum who you're quoting :wink:

In a recent discussion, someone (I thought it was thirdcrank but searching makes me think not) said they deliberately remove the names from quotes to try to reduce the risk of putting the previous author on the defensive and leading to a ping-pong exchange.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 May 2018, 3:41pm

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It saves you time and makes it immediately obvious to the forum who you're quoting :wink:

In a recent discussion, someone (I thought it was thirdcrank but searching makes me think not) said they deliberately remove the names from quotes to try to reduce the risk of putting the previous author on the defensive and leading to a ping-pong exchange.

The poster I was attempting to advise wasn't quoting others in a quote box at all,but in inverted speech comma, which can be a bit confusing at times.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 9 May 2018, 10:45pm

Tangled Metal wrote:A Kendal based cycle club once rode past my family. One of the MAMILs shouted at my partner to "wear a effing helmet".

Could it be my large frame and 90kg? I don't tend to get trouble from people. Gentle giant me.

I love the way others feel they have a right to comment on choice of head gear.... yet don't expect their choice to be pointed out....

A friend and I used to do the same commuter route but at slightly differing times, I used to be cut up regularly and / or receive abuse. He rarely did.
Am sure it had something to do with 5'2 / 8st vs 6'2 / 15-16st. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 May 2018, 9:05am

Don't take it the wrong way, but I reckon if it came to verbal blows I doubt you'd come off worse. Something makes me think size doesn't mean you can handle yourself better.

Fortunately I did ju-jitsu (plus other Japanese martial arts) and a bit of Tae Kwon Do. So to a point I know a few tricks and physically can handle myself. Verbally not so sure.

Personally I don't care one bit what people say to me when I'm on my bike. I do get overprotective over my family. So we don't choose to wear a plastic placebo on our heads. We don't always make our son wear his (5 year old and a very good rider for his age). That doesn't give anyone the right to comment on our choices.

Except for the school which has a blanket ban on kids taking part in cycling lessons without a lid on. So we carry it to school and he wears it in the lessons. I call them lessons but he doesn't learn anything just rides around for half an hour or messes around it of sight of teachers.

BTW a bunch of males riding past a female with young child and one chooses to take a pop at the woman. What does that say about that man and his mentality when in a mob? It's harassment or verbal assault. It's not about the helmet it's about his right (in his eyes) to make a judgement about women and the helmet was a convenient hook to hang it on.

So members of cycling clubs, if you're reading this, learn some manners and stop making comments on others. If you're in club kit you're representing your club. It reflects badly IMHO.

amediasatex

Postby amediasatex » 10 May 2018, 10:58am

So members of cycling clubs, if you're reading this, learn some manners and stop making comments on others. If you're in club kit you're representing your club. It reflects badly IMHO.

I do ride with a club on a regular basis, as well as solo, generally everyone in the club is OK, but occasionally someone will do something silly or unpleasant. Generally if they're not called out on it immediately by others in the group then 'quiet words' will be had later on.

Every once in a while a complaint will be registered with the club via email/post etc. And they are always taken seriously and often will instigate a club-wide communication about it, with reminders about acceptable behaviour and representing the club, so although you shouldn't have to do it I would complain to any club if you've been on the receiving end of poor behaviour. Any decent club will not only address it, but they will want to address it.

If the kind of incident described earlier on the thread had happened on one of our rides* the perpetrator would likely have been told in no uncertain terms to go back and apologise and that if they behaved that way again they would no longer be welcome on our rides**.

Anyway, I've drifted a bit into club defending, which I didn't mean to do but I think clubs can be a huge positive force for cycling when done right, but equally can be a terrible deterrent when done badly and the pervasive club=sport=elitism feeling can often be part of the problem in a wider view of things. Clubs should offer support, community, and resources and be an enabler for cycling in all forms whether it be sport, leisure or utility.

*I hope it wouldn't!
**That has happened before

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 10 May 2018, 11:43am

That is why cyclists wear jerseys marked
"Wobbley Wheelers"
Cycling - of course, but it is far better on a Gillott..alternative facts welcome

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 May 2018, 12:32pm

I too think cycling collectives, clubs, etc can be very positive. I used to ride with a group borne out of a local environmental campaign as a spin off cycling initiative to encourage more cycling for leisure and transport. Not being a competing club it was more about cycling enthusiasts riding for a social / cycling reason. Riding to the pace of the slowest or at least stopping at junctions or every so often to regroup. Experienced and fitter riders looked after the less experienced and less fit riders. Nobody felt the ride was too much or too little because it was fun and friendly.

Helmets? Up to you. Lights were recommended on evening rides but if they were late back and you didn't... Well let's just say the group acted like a pack of animals looking after the weaker ones in the middle of the pack. This meant your saw by other riders lights and you always had bikes that were well lit up all around you.

The idea that anyone in that group would criticise someone not in the group over their cycling choices was ludicrous. It was about encouraging cycling for all. Why would they want to alternate potentially a cycling newbie or minority group within cycling? I wonder if they'll take recumbent riders?

Cycling clubs are only good if they are inclusive and encouraging of all members and share that attitude to others outside of their club if they pass by.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 May 2018, 12:33pm

brynpoeth wrote:That is why cyclists wear jerseys marked
"Wobbley Wheelers"

It makes it easy to find out who to complain to, that's for sure. Funny how clubs often release the addresses of their officers and committee members.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 May 2018, 1:03pm

I wonder if horse riding forums have loads of threads along the lines of "Why don't more men ride [horses]?" or "What's stopping men from riding [horses]?".

Ian

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 May 2018, 1:11pm

Psamathe wrote:I wonder if horse riding forums have loads of threads along the lines of "Why don't more men ride [horses]?" or "What's stopping men from riding [horses]?".

Ian

yes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 May 2018, 1:25pm

Vorpal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I wonder if horse riding forums have loads of threads along the lines of "Why don't more men ride [horses]?" or "What's stopping men from riding [horses]?".

Ian

yes.

Do they arrive at any conclusions (I can't image groups of horse riders shouting rude comments about (lack of) headgear or laughing at another rider on a carthorse or maybe that is why I rarely see riders out on donkeys?).

Ian

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 May 2018, 1:30pm

Psamathe wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Ian

yes.

Do they arrive at any conclusions (I can't image groups of horse riders shouting rude comments about (lack of) headgear or laughing at another rider on a carthorse or maybe that is why I rarely see riders out on donkeys?).

Ian

Well, like on any forum, there a variety of opinions and what have you.

There does seem to be some consensus (backed by medical opinion) that boys find it somewhat less comfortable than girls or adults. The explanation for that is here https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2016/07/11/ ... -boys-are/ Not being a male, I don't have any way to know if it's accurate, or pure sexism.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 10 May 2018, 2:13pm

Obviously the laddies should be riding sidesaddle :wink:
Cycling - of course, but it is far better on a Gillott..alternative facts welcome

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 May 2018, 2:25pm

Well I rode donkeys as a kid, only on holiday and I was very young. I don't recall seeing a rider on a fine palomino ride past lambasting me over riding the donkey or not wearing helmets at the time.

Based on this limited, anecdotal evidence I would say that it is only cyclists who act like this. I can't be wrong drawing this conclusion because anecdotal evidence is but highest form of evidence you can get according to many pro - helmet cyclists. That means they have to accept my conclusion as fact!

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 May 2018, 3:37pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Well I rode donkeys as a kid, only on holiday and I was very young. I don't recall seeing a rider on a fine palomino ride past lambasting me over riding the donkey or not wearing helmets at the time.

Based on this limited, anecdotal evidence I would say that it is only cyclists who act like this. I can't be wrong drawing this conclusion because anecdotal evidence is but highest form of evidence you can get according to many pro - helmet cyclists. That means they have to accept my conclusion as fact!

No, not just cyclists. Every group of people I've ever interacted with that was large and diverse had some members who put on airs and thought they were better than everyone else, some members who were nice, and helpful, brought the sandwiches and made the tea sorts, some members who were jerks, some who were gossips, and lots of people who were absolutely fine, enjoyed themselves and didn't judge others.

That includes, parents at school, football clubs, university classes/majors, work colleagues, bands, choirs, orchestras, cycling clubs, train clubs, riding clubs, swimming clubs, reenactment groups, theatre groups, tour groups, stategy game clubs, people staying in a youth hostel at the same time, people attending conventions...